Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New POS equipment for the Museum

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Just to keep all of you up to date as promised....I have been in touch with the Museum's Executive Director and the matter is being looked into forthwith. You'll have answers as soon as they're available.
    Stu Chapman

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by studegary View Post
      Please do not confuse the club (SDC) with the museum (SNM). They are entirely different entities run by different people and with different funds.
      You're quite correct Gary, however the Museum operates the SDC Store and therein lies some of the problems. In reality SDC and SNM share our traditions and legacies though. It is important that we work together, at least IMHO.
      Stu Chapman

      Comment


      • #18
        I apologize for not writing sooner.

        As the Chairman of the Cost Committee, and the person charged with the responsibilty of monitoring the process, I am asking that you have patience. Gordon (see above) is right. The SDC approved the funds for a new POS system. This system has nothing to do with the shipping or whether or not the Museum takes Paypal. It is inventory, reports, cost control, and monitoring of a growing retail store. This was intentioned for two things:

        1. To properly monitor the day to day operation of both the Museum store, the SDC Store at the Museum, and to track movement of product within the store so as to determine future decisions to carry an item based on sales. This system has already saved countless man hours and made the processs more stream-lined.

        2. To provide shipping information to the folks packing items for shipment so that they can accurately get product to customers in a more timely manner.

        In looking over this request, because the request was for a significant amount of money, I spent several hours at the Museum tracking exactly what happened when someone ordered an item. When I saw the long drawn out process, my only comment was, "I don't know how you do it". They were using software that was old and incredibly complex. Based on the amount of time spent on an order, I calculated with the process streamlined, it would take about only a short time before more productive work could be done in the time alloted besides walking orders from the store to the basement for shipping, and the constant duplication of reports converted from the old software to Excel. Instead of spending labor time on duplicating work, they could be more productive.

        Just to back up a bit, the Cost Committee consists of 3 people, myself, Stu Chapman, and Max Gretencord. The last two names are pretty well known guys. This Committee not only has not only the interest of the Museum, but also the interest of SDC members like you and I who contribute our money every year to these causes. When I discussed this earlier this year with the Museum I brought up the concerns of members who are not in the USA about how those orders are handled, not just from a shipping standpoint, but also for such items as Paypal, and what ever form of payment may lie in the future. They needed to start with an efficient system of handling an order first. This is a point that I brought up at the Board Meeting in Colorado Springs.

        In conclusion, John, your concerns are well taken, (except for the shot at Becky) and valid questions in my opinion. Your timing is great. They are being worked on. This will be taken care of. The Capital Cost distribution of money had nothing to do with taking Paypal. That is a function of another piece of software, and the cost of this is unknown to me. This is an International Club. The Museum is not Saks 5th Avenue. Stu has contacted the Museum, and I am not going duplicate his work. Stu is also right in saying that both the SDC Store at the Museum, and the Museum Store have the same goals. Remember 4 months ago there wasn't even an SDC store. The new name is the SDC Store at the Museum. Things like this do not happen overnight. Please be patient.


        Question, and this is for all International members, United States too, would you be more inclined to use the services, become a member of the Museum, and take advantage of the 20% discount if they took Paypal?

        Bob Henning
        Last edited by Bob Henning; 08-11-2013, 06:21 AM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Bob Henning View Post
          I apologize for not writing sooner.

          As the Chairman of the Cost Committee, and the person charged with the responsibilty of monitoring the process, I am asking that you have patience. Gordon (see above) is right. The SDC approved the funds for a new POS system. This system has nothing to do with the shipping or whether or not the Museum takes Paypal. It is inventory, reports, cost control, and monitoring of a growing retail store. This was intentioned for two things:

          1. To properly monitor the day to day operation of both the Museum store, the SDC Store at the Museum, and to track movement of product within the store so as to determine future decisions to carry an item based on sales. This system has already saved countless man hours and made the processs more stream-lined.

          2. To provide shipping information to the folks packing items for shipment so that they can accurately get product to customers in a more timely manner.

          In looking over this request, because the request was for a significant amount of money, I spent several hours at the Museum tracking exactly what happened when someone ordered an item. When I saw the long drawn out process, my only comment was, "I don't know how you do it". They were using software that was old and incredibly complex. Based on the amount of time spent on an order, I calculated with the process streamlined, it would take about only a short time before more productive work could be done in the time alloted besides walking orders from the store to the basement for shipping, and the constant duplication of reports converted from the old software to Excel. Instead of spending labor time on duplicating work, they could be more productive.

          Just to back up a bit, the Cost Committee consists of 3 people, myself, Stu Chapman, and Max Gretencord. The last two names are pretty well known guys. This Committee not only has not only the interest of the Museum, but also the interest of SDC members like you and I who contribute our money every year to these causes. When I discussed this earlier this year with the Museum I brought up the concerns of members who are not in the USA about how those orders are handled, not just from a shipping standpoint, but also for such items as Paypal, and what ever form of payment may lie in the future. They needed to start with an efficient system of handling an order first. This is a point that I brought up at the Board Meeting in Colorado Springs.

          In conclusion, John, your concerns are well taken, (except for the shot at Becky) and valid questions in my opinion. Your timing is great. They are being worked on. This will be taken care of. The Capital Cost distribution of money had nothing to do with taking Paypal. That is a function of another piece of software, and the cost of this is unknown to me. This is an International Club. The Museum is not Saks 5th Avenue. Stu has contacted the Museum, and I am not going duplicate his work. Stu is also right in saying that both the SDC Store at the Museum, and the Museum Store have the same goals. Remember 4 months ago there wasn't even an SDC store. The new name is the SDC Store at the Museum. Things like this do not happen overnight. Please be patient.


          Question, and this is for all International members, United States too, would you be more inclined to use the services, become a member of the Museum, and take advantage of it?

          Bob Henning
          Bob,
          Thanks for your update. A couple of questions: Why couldn't a more safe/efficient/convenient payment system have been tucked under developing, "an efficient system of handling an order"? Since receiving payment an early step in handling an order, could that not be addressed simultaneously, instead of the more methodical approach outlined above? If its too hard to do, maybe hire an outside consultant, or simply outsource?
          Last edited by JoeHall; 08-12-2013, 04:08 AM.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Bob Henning View Post
            I apologize for not writing sooner.

            As the Chairman of the Cost Committee, and the person charged with the responsibilty of monitoring the process, I am asking that you have patience. Gordon (see above) is right. The SDC approved the funds for a new POS system. This system has nothing to do with the shipping or whether or not the Museum takes Paypal. It is inventory, reports, cost control, and monitoring of a growing retail store. This was intentioned for two things:

            1. To properly monitor the day to day operation of both the Museum store, the SDC Store at the Museum, and to track movement of product within the store so as to determine future decisions to carry an item based on sales. This system has already saved countless man hours and made the processs more stream-lined.

            2. To provide shipping information to the folks packing items for shipment so that they can accurately get product to customers in a more timely manner.

            In looking over this request, because the request was for a significant amount of money, I spent several hours at the Museum tracking exactly what happened when someone ordered an item. When I saw the long drawn out process, my only comment was, "I don't know how you do it". They were using software that was old and incredibly complex. Based on the amount of time spent on an order, I calculated with the process streamlined, it would take about only a short time before more productive work could be done in the time alloted besides walking orders from the store to the basement for shipping, and the constant duplication of reports converted from the old software to Excel. Instead of spending labor time on duplicating work, they could be more productive.

            Just to back up a bit, the Cost Committee consists of 3 people, myself, Stu Chapman, and Max Gretencord. The last two names are pretty well known guys. This Committee not only has not only the interest of the Museum, but also the interest of SDC members like you and I who contribute our money every year to these causes. When I discussed this earlier this year with the Museum I brought up the concerns of members who are not in the USA about how those orders are handled, not just from a shipping standpoint, but also for such items as Paypal, and what ever form of payment may lie in the future. They needed to start with an efficient system of handling an order first. This is a point that I brought up at the Board Meeting in Colorado Springs.

            In conclusion, John, your concerns are well taken, (except for the shot at Becky) and valid questions in my opinion. Your timing is great. They are being worked on. This will be taken care of. The Capital Cost distribution of money had nothing to do with taking Paypal. That is a function of another piece of software, and the cost of this is unknown to me. This is an International Club. The Museum is not Saks 5th Avenue. Stu has contacted the Museum, and I am not going duplicate his work. Stu is also right in saying that both the SDC Store at the Museum, and the Museum Store have the same goals. Remember 4 months ago there wasn't even an SDC store. The new name is the SDC Store at the Museum. Things like this do not happen overnight. Please be patient.


            Question, and this is for all International members, United States too, would you be more inclined to use the services, become a member of the Museum, and take advantage of the 20% discount if they took Paypal?

            Bob Henning
            Well, I certainly would, and my remarks about Becky Bonham [now removed] were not directed at her personally, only in the sense that she {in her role} requests donations in TW that {currently} those of us overseas are unable to contribute to until PayPal or Visa/MasterCard arrangements are instituted - I had intended the comments as irony, something which didn't come out in the text and I apologise if she or anyone else took offense.


            Now it's back to Bob and his crew to get the show on the road, and I wish them well doing just that.
            John Clements
            Christchurch, New Zealand

            Comment


            • #21
              Joe, it has been explained to me that the production order delay is because Andy Beckman waits to receive say 15 orders which makes it worth the "trouble" of going to the Archive where they are stored (think it was the Archive), turning on the lights and heat etc. and spending the time to locate/duplicate them.

              I expressed an opinion that "we" [SDC and those associated with the Board and Museum] could/should ask Galen Govier (Chrysler) and Kevin Marti (Ford) for their suggestions on how we could improve our system - maybe down the track scanning them into the computer and having "instant access" [possible???].

              I realize this would be a long-term project (if possible) but we could at least learn what we could/should do, which we don't appear to know now.

              There is also the current owner of these orders - discussions could happen to insure their long-term survival in "our" hands, it would be a loss if the owners' heirs decided to dispose of them once they gained control, unlikely as it may be, but until we have legal documentation safeguarding their future in "our" care there is a risk.

              Hope this clears things up.
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by avantilover View Post
                I expressed an opinion that "we" [SDC and those associated with the Board and Museum] could/should ask Galen Govier (Chrysler) and Kevin Marti (Ford) for their suggestions on how we could improve our system - maybe down the track scanning them into the computer and having "instant access" [possible???]
                Are you aware of how much work that will take? Imagine taking the 1959 model year alone with over 100,000 vehicles and individually scanning (which are paper copies) and saving each one. It will be a five year (or more) project to scan every last production order in existence, microfilm & paper copy, and that would only be accomplished by someone working FULL TIME on it.

                Craig

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  Are you aware of how much work that will take? Imagine taking the 1959 model year alone with over 100,000 vehicles and individually scanning (which are paper copies) and saving each one. It will be a five year (or more) project to scan every last production order in existence, microfilm & paper copy, and that would only be accomplished by someone working FULL TIME on it. Craig
                  Good point(s).

                  The SNM is using many interns, now, for various projects. It would be interesting to know how information was transferred to Galen Govier and Kevin Marti. I'm pretty sure Kevin paid for his, and wouldn't be surprised if Galen hadn't done the same.

                  In any case, it must be a money-making project, and that would require an enormous investment. (I have a Marti Report for my 1973 Mustang convertible, but I'm not sure what was paid for it as it was received as a gift.)

                  Too, Studebaker's Production Records are not the physical property of (owned by) The Studebaker National Museum. As Dick Quinn has reported from time to time, the records are owned by Geoff Newman. They are rented by the SNM on a per-use basis; a portion of the payment tendered for each copy's information goes to Geoff Newman for "rent." Obviously, that would figure into the wholesale sale of all of them to anybody for any purpose. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

                  G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    One must also keep in mind a Marti Report is not an actual copy of a FoMoCo production order. I posted a photo of one here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=CYCLONE

                    Craig

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Bob Henning View Post
                      I apologize for not writing sooner.

                      As the Chairman of the Cost Committee, and the person charged with the responsibilty of monitoring the process, I am asking that you have patience. Gordon (see above) is right. The SDC approved the funds for a new POS system. This system has nothing to do with the shipping or whether or not the Museum takes Paypal. It is inventory, reports, cost control, and monitoring of a growing retail store. This was intentioned for two things:

                      1. To properly monitor the day to day operation of both the Museum store, the SDC Store at the Museum, and to track movement of product within the store so as to determine future decisions to carry an item based on sales. This system has already saved countless man hours and made the processs more stream-lined.

                      2. To provide shipping information to the folks packing items for shipment so that they can accurately get product to customers in a more timely manner.

                      In looking over this request, because the request was for a significant amount of money, I spent several hours at the Museum tracking exactly what happened when someone ordered an item. When I saw the long drawn out process, my only comment was, "I don't know how you do it". They were using software that was old and incredibly complex. Based on the amount of time spent on an order, I calculated with the process streamlined, it would take about only a short time before more productive work could be done in the time alloted besides walking orders from the store to the basement for shipping, and the constant duplication of reports converted from the old software to Excel. Instead of spending labor time on duplicating work, they could be more productive.

                      Just to back up a bit, the Cost Committee consists of 3 people, myself, Stu Chapman, and Max Gretencord. The last two names are pretty well known guys. This Committee not only has not only the interest of the Museum, but also the interest of SDC members like you and I who contribute our money every year to these causes. When I discussed this earlier this year with the Museum I brought up the concerns of members who are not in the USA about how those orders are handled, not just from a shipping standpoint, but also for such items as Paypal, and what ever form of payment may lie in the future. They needed to start with an efficient system of handling an order first. This is a point that I brought up at the Board Meeting in Colorado Springs.

                      In conclusion, John, your concerns are well taken, (except for the shot at Becky) and valid questions in my opinion. Your timing is great. They are being worked on. This will be taken care of. The Capital Cost distribution of money had nothing to do with taking Paypal. That is a function of another piece of software, and the cost of this is unknown to me. This is an International Club. The Museum is not Saks 5th Avenue. Stu has contacted the Museum, and I am not going duplicate his work. Stu is also right in saying that both the SDC Store at the Museum, and the Museum Store have the same goals. Remember 4 months ago there wasn't even an SDC store. The new name is the SDC Store at the Museum. Things like this do not happen overnight. Please be patient.


                      Question, and this is for all International members, United States too, would you be more inclined to use the services, become a member of the Museum, and take advantage of the 20% discount if they took Paypal?

                      Bob Henning
                      Hello Bob,
                      Thank you very much for your concern and your detailed answer.
                      So far, I bought my production order and supported the Adopt-a-car program (1932 Six). If orders were convenient for overseas members, there is no doubt that a lot more items from the SNM would be at my home (Of course, I would start with My Father the Car). I clearly understand the necessity of a global audit in order to get maximum efficiency. There may be some technical or legal aspects that I'm unaware of, but, creating a Paypal account is simply a matter of minutes and would certainly be the easiest and the cheapest way to handle international orders. In my opinion, the SNM is losing money with its current policy.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I had to read this because POS has other meanings. I wondered what POS was going into the museum.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I understand we have lots of records, but we need to consider the use of modern hi speed scanning equipment, possibly thousands of records could be scanned per hour or day and our requirements may be done in a year or less!!!

                          Inquiries could be made from those like Xerox or Canon or Oce who make such devices to learn what there is available.

                          Maybe we could arrange a lease or loan of the technology we require and - begin, at least we would know what we could do - The cost and how long it may take - we are only guessing at present.
                          John Clements
                          Christchurch, New Zealand

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I for one, would be more inclined to purchase from the SDC store or the museum if Pay Pal were available.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              FOLLOW-UP
                              I'd like to update members on this subject as promised. Through discussion with the Studebaker National Museum officials, steps are being taken to hopefully resolve all the issues raised in this thread. Please be patient for a little while longer. I hope I can have some satisfactory answers within a week or so.
                              Stu Chapman

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Guess that means I'll have to buy something now.

                                Laughs.

                                Thanks Stu, our very own yoda. (Smile)
                                John Clements
                                Christchurch, New Zealand

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X