No announcement yet.

Someone buy this so I'm not tempted...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone buy this so I'm not tempted...

For as solid as it looks, this could be a fun build. I want a 50/51 so badly that I'm tempted to make a bad decision on this one. Please, someone take it off the market before I do!
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Good eye and good find, Jim. From your past postings, you seem to be a people oriented family man. A big old elegant four door like this would be a great fit. That is, if the family buys into the time, effort, and resources that will be required to complete the restoration. It does look solid, however, so far, the current owner seems to have concentrated on the easy parts. Like removing and cleaning stuff. Not good enough pictures to see how well the paint job was done. It looks like there is a ton of work still required in only the "cleaning" remaining to be done. Then there's those seats, not only needing reupholstering, but complete re-stuffing and building.

He says the engine and spare tire is "all together." What the heck does that mean? You are right...it could be a fun build, but depending on your skills and level of patience...it could be a nightmare. It will take time, good secure facilities, and a fair amount of money (even if you do most of the work yourself.). From his ad, I have the feeling the current owner has stepped back and realized what kind of project he has taken on. Now, he is overwhelmed by the enormity of the task and is willing to cut his losses and move on. I believe you could probably buy the car for even less than he's asking by flashing cash, but then...the enormous task becomes yours.

Before my wife left for work this morning, she left me a huge grocery list. Think I'm gonna haul the groceries in my '51 Land Cruiser. They make great grocery haulers!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The car looks to be in good solid condition and its even titled. Man if I didnt have so many projects already Id head down there to take a look. I would drop rebuild and drop in the 259 I have, throw in some bucket seats and drive the wheels off it!

Comment

It looks like a lot of work but I would be hard pressed to discourage you if you are looking for a Studebaker of this vintage. I happen to love mine and don't regret a single dime I have put into it. If you will be doing a lot of the work yourself it should be a really fun project. Sorry I couldn't be more discouraging.
        Last edited by Commander Eddie; 08-09-2013, 12:02 PM. Reason: Miss spelled word
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Yes, I agree. If someone has the desire and some money.....this could be a nice, solid Stude.

Comment

Geez guys, can't you at least try to be a little discouraging? Fortunately my wife is better at being grounded to reality than I, so I think I'm going to be able to resist.

The cost of getting this road worthy world certainly range between pretty pricey and seriously pricey. Besides needing an entire new interior, I have no clue if the owner's definition of "all together" regarding the engine is as in "it's all together and running well enough to power it's own way onto your trailer" or "it's all together in the same box, just waiting to be assembled". Probably closer to the latter.

I love the look of a car restored to original, but this could actually be a really cool car to restore into a family road trip cruiser. Custom interior with in-dash GPS in the front, DVD players in the back, modern running gear, and have something fun to haul the family around on road trips. (Not that you couldn't go on great road trips with a car restored to original).

I'm getting ideas again. I better go talk to my wife

Comment

Before you go talk to the wife...see if you can find some pics of one that color wearing wide whites. What a great ride to church, picnic, family reunion, high school reunion, parade, or just down to your local cruise-in.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Seeing this Stude reminds me of my 1950 Land Cruiser I had in High School.
                Mine had a really neat winged hood ornament with a red fuselage type plastic center.
                Never have come across another but it looked like a factory type option.
                sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Is it a landcruiser? I see the script but not the extra window. May have been taken out for painting or such, just not familiar enough to positively id it from pics in that state. I put no or even less faith in the engine. Plugs left out etc.... Thats about as discouraging as I can be. Expensive restoration but it would make a nice cheap driver if one wasnt picky about staying nut and bolt correct. Should be something at the salvage yard that would give up a set of seats that could be made to work. Steve
                  sigpic

Comment

I dunno,

I have to agree that it looks pretty good but it also looks like it's been under water. Isn't that part of the country where the red river valley was overflowing a while back?
                    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                    Kenmore, Washington
                    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                    '69 Pontiac Firebird
                    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Maybe a candidate for a two seat Indy roadster project.
                      Do You have a hacksaw? Reynolds?
                      My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                      sigpic
                      Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                      in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                        Is it a landcruiser? I see the script but not the extra window. May have been taken out for painting or such, just not familiar enough to positively id it from pics in that state. I put no or even less faith in the engine. Plugs left out etc.... Thats about as discouraging as I can be. Expensive restoration but it would make a nice cheap driver if one wasnt picky about staying nut and bolt correct. Should be something at the salvage yard that would give up a set of seats that could be made to work. Steve
                        The rear vent window on the driver's side can be seen if you enlarge the picture. In the original smaller picture it looks like something beyond the car.
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Studeous View Post
                          Maybe a candidate for a two seat Indy roadster project.
                          Do You have a hacksaw? Reynolds?
                          I've always liked this one. http://www.studebaker-info.org/uniq/...dy/50indy.html

Comment

Okay guys, the buyer has dropped the asking price for a very restorable '50 Land Cruiser with pretty much all the parts included to $1000 or best offer. I've been emailing the guy for the last couple days, and it seems like he's pretty discouraged and needs the space freed up, and has talked about just scrapping the car. He sent me a bunch of pics of the car, and it really looks solid. The frame looks mostly good, but the surface rust is definitely a force to be reckoned with. Not a lot of rust-through on the floor panels, and even the front fenders look fair. The trunk floor looks iffy, but other than that, most of this car is solid. He told me he has never even tried cranking the motor. He says he thinks it's not stuck, but doesn't have a breaker bar to see if the flywheel can be moved. According to him, the last owner had this stored in an enclosed carport-type structure for at least the last 15 years before he found it.

Seriously, if I had a way to transport this thing to Omaha on the cheap, I'd have already made an offer. Someone really needs to move on this!

Comment

Des Moines to Omaha isn't THAT far. If you don't know anyone in your local SDC group with a flatbed who'd be game for a road trip, rent a uhaul and trailer and go get that thing (or take the bus/train/plane and rent one when you get there.)

This car looks to me like a LOT of work, but if you have a place to do the work and can turn it into a fun project, then go for it.

Now if you're a lot more logical/practical/patient than most of us here--you realize that you could just save up your money and buy one that is already restored and save a lot. But where's the fun in that?
                              Dave Nevin
                              Corvallis, OR
                              1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                              Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Working...
                              X