Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard8
    replied
    I love the Skyhawks, best looking of the Hawk Flock IMHO (Hawk grill, no fins and the pre GT roofline, tho I would prefer the smoother 53-55 trunklid)..... I get the feeling that 345 DeSoto is not so much a purist as I am, and as Jack noted a Packabaker conversion is all bolt in and does not alter the car for future back to stock. OTOH, a built Stude 289 with a PowerShift would be sweet too!

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    You've GOT to be kidding Jack !!!!!!!
    Serious as a heart attack. As I said earlier, it's a bolt in using all S-P parts and could be returned to Stude V8 power just as easily.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    [QUOTE=PackardV8;763741]JMHO, but installing a Packard V8 in a Sky Hawk would result in the best looking of the Hawks with the strongest engine of the Hawks. Why wouldn't you do it?

You've GOT to be kidding Jack !!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• 345 DeSoto
    replied
    The "one year only" Sky Hawk REALLY appeals to me..it IS a pretty looking car. I suppose if I snuck in a 374, it wouldn't be THAT bad. To me, I'd have the best of both worlds...the Stude I've always wanted, with some "snap"...

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    I like the looks of the Sky Hawk better than the 1956 Golden Hawk. One of Bob Bourke's finest creations.

There were 4071 1956 Golden Hawks and only 3050 Sky Hawks. Also, the Sky Hawk is a one year model and I believe the survival to be lower than that for a 1956 Golden Hawk. There were more Hawks sold for 1956 than there were Corvettes or Thunderbirds.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Next best thing to a 53/54 (and I own a 55
    Don't forget, the Packard V8 will fit in any C/K, including the GT. I put one in my custom Power Hawk - C-body, '53-55 smooth deck lid, '64 GT front clip. ;>)

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• warrlaw1
    replied
    I like the looks of a Skyhawk. No fins and a Hawk grill. Next best thing to a 53/54 (and I own a 55).

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    JMHO, but installing a Packard V8 in a Sky Hawk would result in the best looking of the Hawks with the strongest engine of the Hawks. Why wouldn't you do it?

For the purists, it's exactly what Studebaker did; all a bolt in. If some future owner wanted to return to Studebaker V8 power, no problemo.

Seeing as I have seen more Golden Hawks then I have Sky Hawks, the answer for me is easy- Keep it as a Sky Hawk!!!

You could make your 289 into a virtual R1 if you want a few more horses.
    And no one would know unless you go really nuts and add a blower as well.
    But Dave, then it wouldn't be a Sky Hawk, it would be a '57 Golden Hawk, minus the fins. Once one begins to modify any car, it's a slippery slope and I've been past the point of recovery for fifty years now.

jack vines
    Last edited by PackardV8; 07-29-2013, 12:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brngarage
    replied
    If anyone here is looking for a Skyhawk, I have one for sale (3 speed w/overdrive). Call me at (818) 606-0267 or email me at brngarage@gmail.com.

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
    Should I keep it Sky Hawk, or turn it into a Golden Hawk?
    Seeing as I have seen more Golden Hawks then I have Sky Hawks, the answer for me is easy-

Keep it as a Sky Hawk!!!

You could make your 289 into a virtual R1 if you want a few more horses.
    And no one would know unless you go really nuts and add a blower as well.

StudeDave '57

Leave a comment:

• 345 DeSoto
    replied
    Should I keep it Sky Hawk, or turn it into a Golden Hawk? JUST asking. I kinda like the Sky Hawk, for some reason...but I also really like the idea of a Packard engine...

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Where there any differances between the '56 Sky Hawk 289 engine, and any other 289?
    No, every Studebaker engine block came out of the same foundry molds and was machined on the same line. (Please, let's don't get started on R3/R4s - they are like unicorns; more written about than seen.) Any '56-'62 V8 block can be made identical to a '56 Sky Hawk engine. If you're building a transmission for one, consider starting with a Power Shift. Not original, but the best of all the Borg-Warner autos Studebaker used.

BTW, the '56 Sky Hawk is in my all-time top five Studebaker greatest hits. It's worth saving.

jack vines
    Last edited by PackardV8; 07-29-2013, 09:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    There were some minor differences in later models, (like full flow oil filter, and crankshaft snout length). Except for R series they are pretty much the same internally. Valve covers, and distributor makes varied, as well.

Leave a comment:

• 345 DeSoto
    started a topic '56 Sky Hawk

'56 Sky Hawk

Where there any differances between the '56 Sky Hawk 289 engine, and any other 289? I have a line on an engineless Sky Hawk, and if I'm going to replace the 289, I'd like to know. What automatic transmission came in the Sky Hawk?...
Working...
X