Studebaker V-8 one of five uncommon V-8's of the 1950's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker V-8 one of five uncommon V-8's of the 1950's

Studebaker V-8's named as one the of five uncommon V-8's of the 1950's by the Jalopy Journal.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=19845
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Still can't get used to folks calling them 'motors' in this day and time. Really archaic. The motivators were and are 'engines'.
    Even some of the NASCAR people still call them 'motors'. "My motor done blew up!"

Frank Drumheller
    Locust Grove, VA
    60S-W6
    M16-52 '48 Studebaker-Boyer fire truck

Comment

Our Ag teacher would go ballistic if we called any gas powered power plant a motor. I still remember all these years later: "Motors run on electricity, engines run on gas or diesel".
      Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      58 C Cab
      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I'd like to hear more about the GM lawsuit against Stude for the V8 engine.......
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Is the claim true that Cadillac sued Studebaker over their OHV design? If so, how far did the suit go?

it's on the net so it must be true!
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Why do auto dealers call them selves Motor Co.? Why do they call them Motor Manuel's? Why do they have crate Motors?

Comment

Good point,I call them engines-motors-powerplants-mills "hope I did'nt forget one"
              Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
              Why do auto dealers call them selves Motor Co.? Why do they call them Motor Manuel's? Why do they have crate Motors?
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
                Because accuracy in the language is not required anymore, if it ever was. Words mean what someone wants them to mean, regardless of the proper definition. Eventually the dictionary accepts the corruption of the language as genuine and the definition is amended to reflect it.

it just shows everything seems to be relative rather than a fixed and definite meaning.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

When did "anymore" come about ? cuz motor manuals have been around a looooong time time.
                  Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  Because accuracy in the language is not required anymore, if it ever was. Words mean what someone wants them to mean, regardless of the proper definition. Eventually the dictionary accepts the corruption of the language as genuine and the definition is amended to reflect it.

it just shows everything seems to be relative rather than a fixed and definite meaning.
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

289 v 8

What manufacturer made the 289 v8 engine for Studebaker?

Comment

The Packard V8 should have been included on that list as it also debuted for 1955.
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Studebaker made their own engines. The foundry was part of the series of plants in South Bend.
                        Originally posted by alaipairod View Post
                        What manufacturer made the 289 v8 engine for Studebaker?
                        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                        1950 Champion Convertible
                        1950 Champion 4Dr
                        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Studebaker manufactured their own V8 engines in 224, 232, 259, 289, and 304.5 cubic inch displacements from 1951 to 1964.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                            Because accuracy in the language is not required anymore, if it ever was. Words mean what someone wants them to mean, regardless of the proper definition. Eventually the dictionary accepts the corruption of the language as genuine and the definition is amended to reflect it. it just shows everything seems to be relative rather than a fixed and definite meaning.
                            not just now - i recall pulling into service stations when i was young and seeing the sign on a light post between pumps: "Stop Your Motor - No Smoking".

later, when i was a teen - and being a bit of a smart-@$$, i'd leave my car running. no one ever came to tell me to stop my motor. i never got to use my "comeback": i have an engine, not a motor...

i reckon if i had a hybrid, the sign might be appropriate.
                            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

well...here we are pick'n nits again. In its broader sense, motor, is a matter of "language." I have owned a motor scooter, I ride a motorcycle, and have a motorbike I built by installing a small engine (motor) on a bicycle. In some places, I have heard the term "motor" referred to as the entire vehicle.

I'm tired, its getting late, and I think I'm gonna "motor" off to bed.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X