Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supercharger Tensioner Pulley (Bearing Removal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercharger Tensioner Pulley (Bearing Removal)

Any clues on how to remove the bearing that is inside the supercharger tensioner pulley on a golden hawk/avanti setup? The bearing i have is damaged and it seems the only way to remove it is by drilling out the rivets and separating the pulley (which I don't want to do). the pulley im referring to looks like this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Studebaker-supercharger-bracket-with-pulley-289-V8-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/sboAAOxyn~pR3dSA/$T2eC16RHJGEFFm4NK)YRBR3dS!bOOg~~60_57.JPG

Thanks,
    SHAUN

If you are a member of the SDC, you will have checked with Jon Erb, referenced in the "Studebaker Cooperator" column of your monthly Turning Wheels magazine.
    So, NO! I for one have no clue, but the SDC is your ultimate resource.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

You might contact Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker (Fairborn OH), or John Caskey at Howard's Studebaker Parts (Omaha NE). Both are experienced in these things.

My gut reaction is that I've never heard of anyone doing this, so you may just have to buy a new pulley with the bearing already in it. But Phil and/or John (or John Erb, as Brad suggested) will know for sure. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

IIRC, they aren't all the same. Avantis have an idler pulley that uses a cheap and common 6203 bearing, retained by a snap ring. Pull the snap ring, and you can press or hammer the bearing out using large sockets as pusher and catcher.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I have successfully installed a new bearing in the supercharger belt tension pulley of a Golden Hawk setup ('57/'58 type) by drilling out the rivets, replacing the bearing, and using short, hardened bolts of the correct diameter to put the pulley back together again. I use Permatex Threadlocker Blue on the threads and have had no trouble in many miles of use.

Later model tension pulleys have a lock ring that allows easy removal and replacement of the bearing.

George
          george krem

Comment

Originally posted by r3 challenger View Post
            i have successfully installed a new bearing in the supercharger belt tension pulley of a golden hawk setup ('57/'58 type) by drilling out the rivets, replacing the bearing, and using short, hardened bolts of the correct diameter to put the pulley back together again. I use permatex threadlocker blue on the threads and have had no trouble in many miles of use.

Later model tension pulleys have a lock ring that allows easy removal and replacement of the bearing.

George

exactly the kind of feedback i was looking for. Thanks!

Shaun

Comment

The one and only change from factory that I made on the 57 GH supercharger setup which I run on the '55 is the later R2 type idler pulley.....Studebaker engineers saw the need for an upgrade there...and who would argue with them?

Comment

the bearing currently in the pulley is a "New Departure 8503"

http://www.amazon.com/Departure-8503.../dp/B00DBOKADY

SHAUN

Comment

Working...
                X