1964 GT Hawk grill painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 GT Hawk grill painting

I understand that the 64 GT Hawk grill differs from the 63 in that the verticle portions of the grill web are recessed. Also, this area of the web is painted black.

Question? Is the black just on the verticle recessed portion or is the entire web (the area between the wide chrome horizontals)black?

I have a 64 grill mesh that is in very good shape and would like to restore the black properly. If the black is just on each individual verticle bar, it's going to be a tedious process.

Dick

Dick, I believe the grill stamping is the same as 63, not recessed any more or less on the verticals. The 63 was not painted.
    The 64 verticals are each painted black individually between each horizontal strip, regardless of whether the horizontal strip is narrow or wider. The horizontals have no paint on them.

Comment

Dick, I believe the grill stamping is the same as 63, not recessed any more or less on the verticals. The 63 was not painted.
      The 64 verticals are each painted black individually between each horizontal strip, regardless of whether the horizontal strip is narrow or wider. The horizontals have no paint on them.

Comment

Get ready for some tedious work.

JDP/Maryland
        64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
        64 GT R2
        63 Lark 2 door
        58 Scotsman
        52 & 53 Starliner
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Get ready for some tedious work.

JDP/Maryland
          64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
          64 GT R2
          63 Lark 2 door
          58 Scotsman
          52 & 53 Starliner
          51 Commander
          39 Coupe express
          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Use a black sharpie. It takes 20 minutes to use the black marker. I did mine in the spring time and it looks like the day I did it and I've washed the car numerous times. Life is too short to be hand painting the grill.

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone
            1964 GT Hawk
            PSMCDR 2014
            Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
            PSMCDR 2013
            Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Use a black sharpie. It takes 20 minutes to use the black marker. I did mine in the spring time and it looks like the day I did it and I've washed the car numerous times. Life is too short to be hand painting the grill.

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone
              1964 GT Hawk
              PSMCDR 2014
              Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
              PSMCDR 2013
              Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I have original and NOS 63 and 64 grills, and the 64 vertical bar 'between the horizontals' is recessed and painted black, and the complete back of the grill is also black.

For what it's worth, if you run your finger nail up and down the verticals on the 64 grill you will hear and feel the 'click' between the horizontals, but not on the 63 as both vert. and horiz. are 'even'..

The recess permits a fairly straight forward ability to paint the approx 3/16th inch vertical bar..be it by brush or black marker pen, if your careful.

Try the 'click' test and you will easily tell a 64 from a 63..

Barry Leppan
                Burlington, Ont. Canada
                64 Daytona HT 5-spd
                64 GT Hawk R-1/AC/Powershift
                Barry Leppan
                Ontario, Canada
                64 Daytona R-1 Convertible & 64 GT Hawk R-1
                GT Hawk Registry & SDC, Hamilton Chapter [IMG]

Comment

I have original and NOS 63 and 64 grills, and the 64 vertical bar 'between the horizontals' is recessed and painted black, and the complete back of the grill is also black.

For what it's worth, if you run your finger nail up and down the verticals on the 64 grill you will hear and feel the 'click' between the horizontals, but not on the 63 as both vert. and horiz. are 'even'..

The recess permits a fairly straight forward ability to paint the approx 3/16th inch vertical bar..be it by brush or black marker pen, if your careful.

Try the 'click' test and you will easily tell a 64 from a 63..

Barry Leppan
                  Burlington, Ont. Canada
                  64 Daytona HT 5-spd
                  64 GT Hawk R-1/AC/Powershift
                  Barry Leppan
                  Ontario, Canada
                  64 Daytona R-1 Convertible & 64 GT Hawk R-1
                  GT Hawk Registry & SDC, Hamilton Chapter [IMG]

Comment

Working...
                  X