No announcement yet.

What Would You Do With This R4 Engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Would You Do With This R4 Engine?

Would you leave it as an R3 or return it to an R4 setup?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...95e06d&vxp=mtr

Personally I think he would make more money selling the car with the R2 and selling everything else piece by piece.

Comment

No way would you want to try to put it back to R4 Configuration, for one thing it no longer has R4 Pistons.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

It says he had AMC wheels which accept the dog dish hubcaps, wonder how wide they are and are they safer than the early Studie wheels?
        101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Bob....He said they are 14 by 6.....Keep on Studebakering

Comment

The pistons can be reproduced Rich.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            No way would you want to try to put it back to R4 Configuration, for one thing it no longer has R4 Pistons.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
              Would you leave it as an R3 or return it to an R4 setup?
              Don't know about the B57 engine, but the car, I would turn back to the original R2, just as Joe says.

Craig

Comment

I'd buy it, and put a JTS engine in it. (Ok, not numbers matching, but build sheet matching)
                Take the B engine and restore it to it's original spec.
                Sell the B engine to pay for the JTS swap out.
                Anything to avoid putting a tag on it

Food for thought.... Looks like an interesting car.

Jeff
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                  [COLOR=#000080][B]I'd buy it, and put a JTS engine in it. (Ok, not numbers matching, but build sheet matching)
                  You're in luck, Jeff! According to the ad, it comes with its original R2!!

Craig

Comment

(Well, duhhhh Jeff... Read the whole Ebay ad, ya idjit)
                    Lot's of stuff there.
                    Hope it pulls decent bucks!
                    Jeff

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                    You're in luck, Jeff! According to the ad, it comes with its original R2!!

Craig
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Entertaining listing to "Daydream" about. Of course, I don't think this is a car for a CASO, like me, or the timid limited resource (no money) restorer. I enjoyed his comments (Provenance) about the history of the car. Another way to interpret its history is...Beat to hell, jerked around, and driven hard!

Restoring this car would mean checking the frame for dimensional correctness. Every rivet, bolt, and weld joint would need close inspection. That said, I consider all V8 Lark type Studebakers as "Sleepers," because most folks. not familiar with Studebakers, simply don't respect nor expect them to perform as well as they do in pure stock form. This one, properly configured, would be a hoot to enjoy.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Just keep it in it's current configuration with no restoration an have one of the best "Street Fighters" in the area. Just drive the wheels off of it, two tires at a time.

In this car, you have a rolling ad for Studebaker performance. Just needs to be on the streets and shows, not restored and then stored in away in some locked storage. What good would that do.

Bob

Comment

I know this car, and it's owner and I'm surprised he's actually selling it. Well no- shocked would be the better word
                          First time i ever saw the car was after a 20 year or so sleep in a garage , and since Tom wasn't awful worried about washing and waxing it, he brought it to a car show 'as is', which meant dusty and the chrome covered in gear lube. the ebay pics are the first time I've actually seen the chrome
                          But the car isnt beat to hell by any means. I dont recall any rust on it, the interior is nice, and the chrome is probably perfect lol
                          The car is or was anyway, also ungodly fast
                          Quick story about it
                          A group of us Studebaker owners were together at one of the areas bigger cruises and my truck was parked next to Tom's sedan and i spent most of the night sitting in Toms chair which was between the vehicles
                          One guy kept coming to Toms car and walking around it muttering and finally brought a buddy over and asked me 'how long have you owned this car?' I said its not mine but why?
                          He then told his buddy and I a story about coming back from Nam and buying a Malibu SS with a 396, 4 spd and considering himself the baddest dude in town until he went to te local street racers hangout and asked to race the fastest car there. He said he couldn't believe everyone pointing to a STUDEBAKER--- THIS Studebaker
                          They raced-- he lost four times out of four times
                          Must be true- 'cause the Chevy owner said so

If anyone here is bidding on it-- I doubt you'll be disappointed

Comment

Anybody have the owners contact info I'd like to go look at it it's only 90 minutes from me.
                            John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                              Just keep it in it's current configuration with no restoration an have one of the best "Street Fighters" in the area. Just drive the wheels off of it, two tires at a time.

In this car, you have a rolling ad for Studebaker performance. Just needs to be on the streets and shows, not restored and then stored in away in some locked storage. What good would that do.

Bob
                              i agree looks like FUN FUN FUN!!
                              John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Working...
                              X