Fun with EBAY!...Who knew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with EBAY!...Who knew?

I have run across many odd Ebay listings and we've all had our fun with some of them. I'll just post the link and...well...what do you think...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1949-...item27d51ed740
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

It would be awesome to own something so rare.

I know this to be true because the seller said so.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

With Studebaker's reputation of any mod to make a sale, a factory mod like this could be plausible. Perhaps the penchant to modify Studes that we see today should not be surprising if the factory itself had a habit of doing it!

Comment

Possible? Sure. That said, it looks a little sloppy to be a factory job. I bet if someone could get the serial number from him, the archive experts would know in minutes what this really started out as.
        '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

I don't care what the story is, that thing needs to be in my driveway! I would fix that problem under the hood with something a bit more correct of course.
          http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

From the looks of it I would almost guess that it started out as a business coupe, but I can't quite tell if the roof is the right leingth. Sure is odd looking. I've heard some pretty "out there" stories about factory custom cars in the past, and I'll agree that the finish work is a little rough for this car to be a factory special order car. Coming from a guy that actually owns a real factory altered car, I will be the first to say that the lead workers and welders at Studebaker in the Engineering dept. did a good job of hiding cut marks. I can tell where my car was sectioned, but I also know what I'm looking for; otherwise the body work is "flowing" and seamless. It would be interesting to see the build sheet for this car, but until then I'm going to guess that it was probably somebody's attempt at creating an El Camino out of a Studebaker. But if it was restored and built right, it could be made into something really cool and unique. The story of its origin is just a little too far fetched.
            Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 07-22-2013, 09:46 PM.
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Hey Tinman, I dig what you mean. I thought the car was pretty slick. Though it needs some refining, the essence of the car is pretty Kool. Tidy up the way the rear window panel blends with the bed and it would be just about there.
              Mechanically, even a 305 in front of the 700 would be a great addition. The 6s can be fun, but for regular cruising a V8 is still the way to go in my book.
              sals54

Comment

Kart Hauler 2, perhaps?
                '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

I have a running Studey 259 w/at sitting in my back room and a 63 Lark parts car with 289/OD either would love to drop in to this thing.

Rear window looks off and there's a sharp crease right behind the door where it transitions to the glass. Wiring harness looks like its been cobbled up from the pics of the dash.

Double wall bed that looks pretty well done, I requested pics of the tailgate area.

Hoping someone in my line of finance has a sense of humor!
                  Last edited by Da Tinman; 07-23-2013, 12:00 AM.

Comment

BTW for those of you that haven't been around the older funeral cars they could be pretty rough from the coachworks. I looked at a 69 Caddy flower car a few years back and it was a bondo bucket and I passed on it thinking it had been cabbaged up during a resto only to find out that was probably how it was done when new.

Comment

Looked at it the other day, (on E-bay, not in person), I thought what a cool pick-up could be made from that car. There is no picture of the tailgate. Looks like it was made from a Commander Business Coupe, A pretty rare car in itself. Only 1 1951 commander business coupe was made, wonder how many 1949 Commander Business Coupes were made?
                      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

I imagine the dearly departed really grooved out to that shaved hood and out of this world wheel discs.
                        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                          From the looks of it I would almost guess that it started out as a business coupe, but I can't quite tell if the roof is the right leingth. Sure is odd looking. I've heard some pretty "out there" stories about factory custom cars in the past, and I'll agree that the finish work is a little rough for this car to be a factory special order car. Coming from a guy that actually owns a real factory altered car, I will be the first to say that the lead workers and welders at Studebaker in the Engineering dept. did a good job of hiding cut marks. I can tell where my car was sectioned, but I also know what I'm looking for; otherwise the body work is "flowing" and seamless. It would be interesting to see the build sheet for this car, but until then I'm going to guess that it was probably somebody's attempt at creating an El Camino out of a Studebaker. But if it was restored and built right, it could be made into something really cool and unique. The story of its origin is just a little too far fetched.
                          I'd love to see the build sheet to confirm it if was a 'factory' conversion. And if it was, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was farmed out to Edwards Iron Works, given how busy the factory was with regular production in those early postwar years.

Craig

Comment

Build sheet aside...this is a fun story. Some of you other mountain dwelling Studebaker owners need to pay this fellow a visit and invite him into the SDC. If he can also play a banjo...so much the better. Heck...with stories like this, he would fit right in here on the forum!
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Except for the (later) typical junkyard engine and wiring swap..
                              This looks like a neat professional car (limo/funeral/flower car, etc)...

The bed modifications look professionally done.
                              I doubt the Studebaker factory did the modifications, as they would have added some kind of stamping ribs to reinforce the floor.
                              But an aftermarket coach builder would have used flat sheets of steel....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker Flower Car Bed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	1682975

This could be a unique Stude to drive around in...
                              Add some air shocks... Put some lawn chairs in back...
                              Parade time!
                              Jeff
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X