What Is It ? - Car Part ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is It ? - Car Part ?

Found this the other day gutting an old house . I think its a car radiator cap thingamajig .

Not sure what its for , but it sure looks cool !

OOPS - - - Shoulda been in Stove Huggers !!!!!!

Comment

You might be right, but it appears to me to be pretty small diameter opening to be a vehicle radiator, comparing it to your hand size.
      imo.

If no one comes up with a hit in a couple of days, I could send this over to the National Automobile Museum and see if it rings a bell with someone there.

Very cool looking.

Comment

Might be an old sight glass from a gas pump. Looks like it could be feed through the center and return by the many small holes, or vice versa. I know most old pumps had a sight glass to let you see the fuel being delivered. Just a WAG.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Yes, looks to be a moto-meter type instrument that screwed into the radiator cap. Green meant GO! I feel pretty confident in stating that it is an aftermarket item and not designed for any particular year or model. These went out of fashion in c1927 when most car makers began offering their own radiator mascots. This is true of Studebaker.
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
            Found this the other day gutting an old house . I think its a car radiator cap thingamajig .

Not sure what its for , but it sure looks cool !

This looks like the same thing. Click on the picture to enlarge and then click on the arrow at right center for two more pictures.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...-hood-ornament
            Bob Langer
            Glenshaw,PA

Comment

WOW ! Thats It !!!!!!!!!!

Comment

A quick search turned one of these up in the Henry Ford Museum. Late 20s vintage. In betting this this is made by the same Anco that still makes wiper blades.

Comment

Very cool, it is from a radiator after all. I stand corrected...it just looked so small. On the worthpoint page, I liked the Indian on a snail ornament, that would be fitting on my 170.

Comment

Working...
                  X