Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standing on Their Shoulders

[Warning: Contains Automotive Philosophy with Studebaker reference.]

The elderly lady who lives directly across the street from us has lived there since 1950. Of course, her husband and children were there, too, but the children are long since grown and gone, and her husband (a foundry foreman) passed away several years ago. She is this month selling her home and moving to an independent living community. Today, she walked over and presented me with an interesting book from her husband's library:

Self-Propelled Vehicles: A Practical Illustrated Treatise on Automobiles. It's written by James E. Homans, A.M., and is copyright 1902 (!) by Theodore Audel & Co., New York, New York. Subsequent printings occurred in 1904, 1906, and 1909. The copy she gave me was printed in 1909. It's quite large (598 pages), has over 500 illustrations, and is in excellent condition.

I've only spent an hour or so reading parts of it, but have been greatly impressed with the depth of automotive engineering knowledge that existed at that time...far greater than I would have imagined. I couldn't help but reflect: We too often discount those who have gone before us, what they learned and gave to us at no charge, and how we are standing on their shoulders without acknowledging it.

The Studebaker connection is not in this book because it was almost a half-century distant at the time: The Studebaker V-8 engine. Time and again, those of us who have studied this engine (most with far greater engineering knowledge than I) have marveled at its design and the thoroughness with which it was thought out and executed.

Those of us still running that engine, and squeezing power out of it that Stanwood Sparrow's Studebaker Engineering Team probably never envisioned, are truly standing on their shoulders. I, for one, tip the old Stetson to their excellent design and execution.

[End of Philosophy Class. Time for Lunch]. [] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Reminds me of Otis Romine's "YOU are all that's left of Studebaker" speech.

Dwain G.

Comment

Dwain G.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

Dwain G.
        Yes, Dwain, I remember that speech. I think that was when he left the hospital with his ID bracelet on to talk to a group of us. How appropriate to mention it. And he did say "YOU", not "WE", meaning those of us slightly younger than him. IIRC, Otis is no longer with us. He was quite a character. I feel honored to have met him and being able to listen to him talk several times.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

Dwain G.
          Yes, Dwain, I remember that speech. I think that was when he left the hospital with his ID bracelet on to talk to a group of us. How appropriate to mention it. And he did say "YOU", not "WE", meaning those of us slightly younger than him. IIRC, Otis is no longer with us. He was quite a character. I feel honored to have met him and being able to listen to him talk several times.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
          X