1957 president classic tire size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 president classic tire size

Hi I an new to this forum. I have a 1957 president classic with a 289 auto, ps ,4bbl, duel exhaust and possi. It has 46000 miles on it and was given to me by family. It had been parked in a garage with no windows in it since 1973. It was parked because the water pump failed. I ordered a pump and repaired the brakes while I waited for the engine to un seize. I have driven it a bit but with the 215/75.15 I put on it it seems rub some where. I think the front has sagged about 3'' low. Is there a better tire size than this.. Is there some air shocks that I can get for the front or do I have to stick with new springs. I know I have to redo the front end it wanders fairly bad. There isn't much for parts in Canada but if there are some place that I can get parts shipped through the mail that would work. We get shafted when parts come from the USA via UPS.. This isn't my first car I have worked on but it is the most unique..
    sigpic

Welcome!
    The correct tire size is 7.10X15.
    My first, of more than 50, Studebaker was a 1957 President Classic.
    In 1973, that water pump was a $10 item and very easy to change. It is a real shame that the car was parked for that reason.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

the bigger shame was the two bachelors who owned it bought a 1970 Shelby with the 429 4spd after the car got parked.. what would the 7.10x15 convert to .
      sigpic

Comment

the bigger shame was the two bachelors who owned it bought a 1970 Shelby with the 429 4spd  after the car got parked.. what would the 7.10x15 convert to .I also have a 53 gmc truck that I have done lots to ,a 72 chev, and a 68 Pontiac Beaumont 2dr ht
        sigpic

Comment

Welcome to the Forum. There are a bunch of SDC members in SK and there is a Studebaker parts vendor or two in Canada, Ontario has one, but I do not have his name. Someone here from Canada will be checking in later and may be able to help you. To me it sounds like your front springs have sagged as 215 75 tires are very close in size to the original 710-15 tires.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by conrad01 View Post
            the bigger shame was the two bachelors who owned it bought a 1970 Shelby with the 429 4spd after the car got parked.. what would the 7.10x15 convert to .
            You're right, that is a shame. I would rather have a 68 Shelby with the 428 Cobra Jet!
            sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
            Regal Deluxe Trim
            Automatic transmission
            46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Welcome to the Club!!!
              Also welcome to the COOOLEST Club within the Club~ us '57 Stude Owners stick together!!!

If I were in your shoes, as I was ten years ago with my '57 Commander, I'd worry more about the saggy springs then getting tires that do not rub- only having to go back and get the 'right' ones after you fix said saggy springs. Deal with the springs/suspension first, then get some tires. Radials will help out a BUNCH in the 'wanding' department. Here is a bit of 'food for thought'~

Baby alone~

Baby with her sister Betsy, and cousin Sweet Pea~
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
                Welcome to the Forum. There are a bunch of SDC members in SK and there is a Studebaker parts vendor or two in Canada, Ontario has one, but I do not have his name. Someone here from Canada will be checking in later and may be able to help you. To me it sounds like your front springs have sagged as 215 75 tires are very close in size to the original 710-15 tires.
                The following is the site for Canadian Studebaker in Campbleford Ontario. http://www.canadianstudebaker.com/ I have dealt with them and they are quick to ship.
                You can google Studebaker Vendors and see a more complete list of vendors mostly in the USA.
                sigpic
                55 President Deluxe
                64 Commander
                66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

I have delt with canadian Studebaker for the front brakes.. The water pump came from Arizona along with some trany gaskets, repair manual and parts book. The trany needs a parking pawl but for now the park brake works great.. The tires I have on now are radials and it does drive great on new pavement but there is some slop in the center steering pin. I have also put in a electric fuel pump and replaced all the fuel lines but I still suck air somewhere on the suction tube in the tank. It does not like working hard up hills before it falls on its face. Is the tranny have 3 gears or is drive like a power glide. Any way im building a garage in my back yard and I am putting a 2post lift in to help with the repairs.
                  sigpic

Comment

If I recall right, the height on those tyres is supposed to be 215, so your car has the proper height, even if the width is too much. That said, the Commander is recommended for a 205. The problem with these cars (and this especially includes the Larks) isn't the height of the tyre but the width. Your tyre is likely too wide. The Les Schwab in our area has a (unfortunately Chinese) Kingstar that is the proper width and height for this car (tell them to look under the mini-van recommended tyres). They also have the distinct advantage of being inexpensive. I have found that they are lasting quite well also. Then again, I don't drive at high speeds or even much at all, so LOL, in the aspect of lasting quality I might be a touch... jaded.
                    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by conrad01 View Post
                      I have delt with canadian Studebaker for the front brakes.. The water pump came from Arizona along with some trany gaskets, repair manual and parts book. The trany needs a parking pawl but for now the park brake works great.. The tires I have on now are radials and it does drive great on new pavement but there is some slop in the center steering pin. I have also put in a electric fuel pump and replaced all the fuel lines but I still suck air somewhere on the suction tube in the tank. It does not like working hard up hills before it falls on its face. Is the tranny have 3 gears or is drive like a power glide. Any way im building a garage in my back yard and I am putting a 2post lift in to help with the repairs.
                      The transmission is a three speed (NOT like a Powerglide). It starts in second unless you shift into Low or floor the throttle.

Try tightening the cinch bolt at the center pivot. Sometimes they are loose. If it is tight, push up and down on the arm and see where the play is and how much.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

it would be good if the tire would come in a 80 or 85 width but then they would be a trailer tire. I sell cooper tires and I think there are some cheep narrow tires in their line. The other option is to go to a lo pro 16 or 17 '' rim and tire to clear the rubbing in the upper control arm.
                        sigpic

Comment

is there a rim from a newer type of car that would be close to the same bolt pattern and offset to fit this 57 president .
                          sigpic

Comment

Your Wheels are 5 on 4 1/2" Centers by 5 Inches, 15 Inch Dia.
                            Yes 70's and 80's Rear Wheel Drive Chrysler Products and Ford Products.
                            I use '77 to '79 Chrysler Cordoba 15 X 5 1/2 Wheels. Many of these similar wheels actually have the "humps" on each side of the Valve Stem to stop the Wheel Covers from spinning & cutting the stems and the Stude. Wheel Covers fit.

With the 5 1/2" or 6" Wheels, P215X75R15 more affordable Narrow Whitewalls and '57 wheel covers, your '57 will look much more period correct than fancy wheels and too fat, and too low Tires.

As StudeDave57 said, the Front Coil Springs are the permanent fix.

These people at this Family run US Business; Coil Spring Specialty, have the correct Stude. Part Numbers, and their specs to make correct, good quality, springs:

http://www.coilsprings.com/

Welcome to SDC, the SDC Forum and the exclusive '57/'58 Sedan/Wagon Club!
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 01-27-2014, 12:36 AM.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Like said, make sure the wheels are the proper ones. Width and backspace comes into play here. . Yours could have been changed over the years.4 1/2 to 6 1/2 inch wide with a backspace of 4.20 to 4.25 should be fine with a 215 x 75 x 15 tire cheers jimmijim
                              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                              X