tire size 63 avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tire size 63 avanti

what is the correct radial tire size for 63 Avanti? if not correct what looks best. tks. chas.

The original size tire for those cars were 6.70x15.

Here is a beautiful '63 that was was at Das Awkscht Fest in 2012.

Many people today prefer radials and many of those go with 205/75R/15. Example of such. With the radials you want to make sure the wheels are in flawless shape - radial tires do much more flexing at the sidewall than the original tires do and have caused some wheels to fail.

Last edited by 62champ; 07-10-2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

195 75 R15 used to be the preferred size, but it hasn't been available for probably 10 years or more. At least not from major non-specialty makers.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I put Cooper 205/75R/15s on my car and even found them with 1' white walls. It's a good combination at a good price.
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I bought my radials from Universal Tire in Hershey, PA. They are the American Classic model/brand. Love them, ride good and look right.
          Attached Files
          John
          1963 Avanti R2
          Marshall, VA

Comment

205/75R15 Seems to be the standard. I run 215/70R15's on 6" Borrani rims.

Denny L

Comment

Does anyone make them in Avanti size with the old-fashioned ridged sidewalls and correct ww width as seen in the top photo? And can radials be made to look like that? "With the radials you want to make sure the wheels are in flawless shape - radial tires do much more flexing at the sidewall than the original tires do and have caused some wheels to fail." I seen that advise countless times here...but I've never heard the same warning concerning Fords/GM/MOPARS of the period. Were Studebaker wheels somehow different? And is it really a safety issue for normal driving...(I'm not planning a trip to the salt flats anytime).
              Last edited by JBOYLE; 07-10-2013, 04:49 PM.
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

It may be an issue with other makes but here other makes aren't discussed as far as tires and safety issues. Studebaker didn't make their own rims...they used vendors the same as other car makers.

Stude wheels weren't and aren't really different in a safety sense...they were made for Studebaker requirements but safety standards would have been the same. The issue really is after so many years, these old wheels can have rust problems, welds can give way with age and wear, and since radial tires weren't on the sales floors of most every tire retailer, rims weren't made for the additional flexing radial tires are capable of.

I used to sell tires and wheels back in the '70s...Cragar S/S sport wheels were one of the top sellers. They also had spotty quality control and the chrome often would peel allowing rust to start. Would I recommend someone with a set of those old wheels use them today...especially with the sticky performance tires now available? Nope...not at all.

Today, tires are generally so good by comparison to the '60s that wheel makers do not recommend two-piece aluminum center/steel rim wheels be used for drag racing as tires are so sticky and engines so powerful the the wheel centers can actually break their welds and spin out of the rims.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
                X