10 worst cars of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 worst cars of all time

Business Week just compiled a listing of the 10 worst cars of all time. They considered style as well as design flaws. Nary a Studebaker (or Packard) on the list, but AMC cornered the market (Pacer, Gremlin and Matador). Also included were the Vega, Corvair, Pinto, Edsel, Yugo, Chevette and Pontiac Aztek.

I'm surprised about the Corvair. I'm sure it's due to mosly the Nader propaganda, rather than any true engineering evaluation. Corvair showed some real ingenuity from one of the big 3 at a time where there wasn't much thinking outside the box. Corvair coulda been a contender if they'd stuck with it with commitment.

Las Vegas, NV
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

I'm surprised about the Corvair. I'm sure it's due to mosly the Nader propaganda, rather than any true engineering evaluation. Corvair showed some real ingenuity from one of the big 3 at a time where there wasn't much thinking outside the box. Corvair coulda been a contender if they'd stuck with it with commitment.

Las Vegas, NV
      '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

At least the 57-58 Packard didn't make it like it did in Life Magazine's 10 worst cars in September 1983.

Leonard Shepherd
        http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

At least the 57-58 Packard didn't make it like it did in Life Magazine's 10 worst cars in September 1983.

Leonard Shepherd
          http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

I've been telling family and friends that I'll put together my own list of the "Ten Ugliest Current Cars", even at the risk of alienating myself from other member/owners of such vehicles. So far it looks like I have Chrysler running away with 'top honors'.

Dwain G.
            D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

I've been telling family and friends that I'll put together my own list of the "Ten Ugliest Current Cars", even at the risk of alienating myself from other member/owners of such vehicles. So far it looks like I have Chrysler running away with 'top honors'.

Dwain G.
              D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

I figured out a long time ago that having a degree in Journalism doesn't necessarily make a person an expert on cars. You've also got to consider their source: If a bean-counter at a manufacturer tells them it was a "bad car", it could be because the vehicle ended up costing more to manufacture than it sold for, in the final analysis. And, styling trends come and go. Everyone has an opinion--but a relative few are able to have it published. Some people will swear by the Pinto they used to have--others swore at them.

Comment

I figured out a long time ago that having a degree in Journalism doesn't necessarily make a person an expert on cars. You've also got to consider their source: If a bean-counter at a manufacturer tells them it was a "bad car", it could be because the vehicle ended up costing more to manufacture than it sold for, in the final analysis. And, styling trends come and go. Everyone has an opinion--but a relative few are able to have it published. Some people will swear by the Pinto they used to have--others swore at them.

Comment

Well if Business Week had a clue about mechanical and engineering features of cars, which they DON'T, they would have chosen the '62 Pontiac Tempest 1/2 of a V-8 4 cyl. with the "whipping" cable driven trans axle in the rear end as number 1 !! You would be lucky if these lasted 6 months, my Uncle's new Wagon lost the "cable" in three, and the engine in 6 mo.!![xx(][xx(]

The runner up would be the later Tempest with the experimental (on the public) GM wonder, the rubber band driven overhead cam 6 Cyl. engine, another piece of work from Pontiac. It appears that GM always used Pontiac to "experiment" with controversial, untested "junk"!

They must have put too much emphasis on FINANCIAL success and stying!
                    And missed the ones that actually did not work and were useless!

'57-'58 Packard...that might have been a serious financial loss, but NOT a bad car! The only problem anyone had would be the Supercharger on '57's and '58 Packard Hawks.

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Well if Business Week had a clue about mechanical and engineering features of cars, which they DON'T, they would have chosen the '62 Pontiac Tempest 1/2 of a V-8 4 cyl. with the "whipping" cable driven trans axle in the rear end as number 1 !! You would be lucky if these lasted 6 months, my Uncle's new Wagon lost the "cable" in three, and the engine in 6 mo.!![xx(][xx(]

The runner up would be the later Tempest with the experimental (on the public) GM wonder, the rubber band driven overhead cam 6 Cyl. engine, another piece of work from Pontiac. It appears that GM always used Pontiac to "experiment" with controversial, untested "junk"!

They must have put too much emphasis on FINANCIAL success and stying!
                      And missed the ones that actually did not work and were useless!

'57-'58 Packard...that might have been a serious financial loss, but NOT a bad car! The only problem anyone had would be the Supercharger on '57's and '58 Packard Hawks.

StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I'm not at all surprised that Corvair is on the "list". Not because of Ralph Nader. My wife and I owned a '61 Corvair from new and I have no complaints about the ride or handling, or even the styling. Handling was, of course, based on proper tire inflation.
                        My complaint about the car was the fact that it cost us a fortune to keep it running. Valve problems, the convoluted fan belt, the sticking manual choke, etc.
                        When a car smashed into our Corvair and totalled it, I was a happy man. Fortunately, our car was parked and we weren't in it at the time. At least we got some insurance money from the guy who hit our car.
                        Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I'm not at all surprised that Corvair is on the "list". Not because of Ralph Nader. My wife and I owned a '61 Corvair from new and I have no complaints about the ride or handling, or even the styling. Handling was, of course, based on proper tire inflation.
                          My complaint about the car was the fact that it cost us a fortune to keep it running. Valve problems, the convoluted fan belt, the sticking manual choke, etc.
                          When a car smashed into our Corvair and totalled it, I was a happy man. Fortunately, our car was parked and we weren't in it at the time. At least we got some insurance money from the guy who hit our car.
                          Rog

Smithtown,NY
                          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

IF we're starting a pro/con listing regarding the Corvair and Mr Nader, put me on the side of the opinion that the Corvair is not even close to being in a league with the other nine mentioned. If I can come up with the two cents necessary for an opinion it would be that the Corvair was not a bad automobile at all. And if it is true that a degree in journalism does not make one an engineer, then it is also equally true that a law degree (which, I believe, is Mr Nader's claim to fame) does not constitute an engineer. As I seem to recall GM handled Mr Nader badly by saying they were spending a pitance on safety features--how that related to the safety of the Corvair I'm not quite sure. The car had somewhat different handling features but to call it dangerous as Nader did was a load of crap. Just my two cents.

wagone and R2 Avanti

Comment

IF we're starting a pro/con listing regarding the Corvair and Mr Nader, put me on the side of the opinion that the Corvair is not even close to being in a league with the other nine mentioned. If I can come up with the two cents necessary for an opinion it would be that the Corvair was not a bad automobile at all. And if it is true that a degree in journalism does not make one an engineer, then it is also equally true that a law degree (which, I believe, is Mr Nader's claim to fame) does not constitute an engineer. As I seem to recall GM handled Mr Nader badly by saying they were spending a pitance on safety features--how that related to the safety of the Corvair I'm not quite sure. The car had somewhat different handling features but to call it dangerous as Nader did was a load of crap. Just my two cents.

wagone and R2 Avanti

Comment

Working...
                              X