Amusing CL Ad Text

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amusing CL Ad Text

"1954 Studebaker Land Cruiser - 232 V8, 2 speed automatic transmission, last year the Land Cruisers were made. Runs and drives, 6 volt electrics.
    Original condition with re-done items - starter, generator, regulator, exhaust, carburetor, fuel pump, wiring harness front and back, seats, headliner, carpet, door panels, chrome, stainless, radiator, water pump, gas tank, wheels, wide white walls, weather seals, windshield, some door glass and vents, more than I can remember.
    $12500. Would trade for complete Harley Davidson VL."

Here's the car:

Don't get me wrong, I love the car in spite of the fact that I don't always love the 4 door cars. Its gorgeous. And the price is not out of line with the fabulous looks and condition, either. The part I found amusing is the "Original condition" part. Then the ad lists ALL the items which have been changed, re-done, and or replaced.
    It just made me chuckle, thats all.
    sals54

I'm with you Sal. I can't believe how many times I have seen the phrase, "All original except for new paint, new upholstery, new chrome, and engine rebuild." What most mean is that "the car was restored to original condition."

Comment

I'd drive that in a hot minute. If only someone would dump 10 Gs in my lap

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

The ad states "Original condition", not original. A fully restored car would be in the original condition, as it was when it left the factory, all things new, but still not be original, as in a survivor. It's a tough call on some cars and probably why documenting a survivor is so difficult. If it's just original paint, that's pretty spectacular. A lot of the items replaced would be considered common maintenance.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Could just list what's left that's truly original!
          But that wouldn't be nearly as much fun.
          None the lest, a truly beautiful automobile.
          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

That's pretty good......I'm not the original me when I was born, I have no appendix. Darn doctors

Comment

And remember, there was not a single one of these at International this year!
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Just to be clear. I am not criticizing. I just found it slightly amusing. That's all.
                sals54

Comment

It is kind of amusing, I completely dis regard the phrases all original, floors/body solid, no rust ect. because people don't seem to know what they are supposed to mean. I bought a 58 with solid floor out of state one time. When it arrived it did have solid floors, made out of thin sheet metal and screwed on top of what was left of the original floors. I was not really upset because tthis type of thing is so common. I'm sure many here have similar stories.

Comment

While it's not something I do very often (almost NEVER anymore!), I took it upon myself to edookate a seller on ebay recently. His contention was that the 40-something Stude he was selling had been "restored" to original. Restored by a person of great expertise in such things. There was the interior done in who knows WHAT sort of fabric - the aftermarket steering wheel that was totally out of character with the rest of the interior - there were LOTS of things to pick on, but the pretty copper line leading to the carb got to me. I pointed to this as being evidence his expert restorer might not be - expert.

LOL! I got TWO venomous replies that detailed my shortcomings and jealousy. Eh - whatever.
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                      While it's not something I do very often (almost NEVER anymore!), I took it upon myself to edookate a seller on ebay recently. His contention was that the 40-something Stude he was selling had been "restored" to original. Restored by a person of great expertise in such things. There was the interior done in who knows WHAT sort of fabric - the aftermarket steering wheel that was totally out of character with the rest of the interior - there were LOTS of things to pick on, but the pretty copper line leading to the carb got to me. I pointed to this as being evidence his expert restorer might not be - expert.

LOL! I got TWO venomous replies that detailed my shortcomings and jealousy. Eh - whatever.
                      Bob, file that under: No Good Deed Goes Unpunished. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

More amusing ad text- this from a '34 Stude hearse ad:

"It is mostly all there, the motor, hood, passenger side rear fender and 90 % of the interior is missing. The motor is also gone."
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Holy hell that is gorgeous. I would drive that all day long.
                          1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Sean, long time no see. Glad to see you still pop around these parts!

As to the OP car, I can only dream of owning something so nice. And to the owner's credit, at least he kept it in like-original condition. With all the electrical components he swapped in, the temptation just to go to a 12v system had to be great.
                            '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

The description of the car reminds me of the story about a man who owned his grandfather's old hammer. He had only had to replace the handle twice and the head once.

Comment

Working...
                              X