Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh R1 engine with T10 anyone ??

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/3886976413.html

"I have a just rebuilt R1 289 Studebaker engine, matching bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, and T-10 4 speed with Hurst shifter for sale. This is a std. bore cloverleaf block which has been cleaned out, has fresh hone job, flat top pistons, aluminum timing gear, R1 cam. Heads are #1557570, hardened valve seats installed during valve job and new R1 valve springs. HD water pump, Avanti harmonic balancer, chrome valve covers, an original Avanti intake manifold, and a 500 cfm Edelbrock electric choke carburetor. Oil pan has R1 baffles installed. Starter and distributor included. $3500.00 1-307-272-3337."

It's been listed by a forum member previously but I'll bet he's happy you mentioned it again. Also appears to be a better deal now.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...625#post750625

Bob
    , ,

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
      http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/3886976413.html

"I have a just rebuilt R1 289 Studebaker engine, matching bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, and T-10 4 speed with Hurst shifter for sale. This is a std. bore cloverleaf block which has been cleaned out, has fresh hone job, flat top pistons, aluminum timing gear, R1 cam. Heads are #1557570, hardened valve seats installed during valve job and new R1 valve springs. HD water pump, Avanti harmonic balancer, chrome valve covers, an original Avanti intake manifold, and a 500 cfm Edelbrock electric choke carburetor. Oil pan has R1 baffles installed. Starter and distributor included. $3500.00 1-307-272-3337."
      Looks pretty good,but. I noticed it doesn't have the R1 oil pan with the crankcase vent tube.
      I am curious what he's using for a pvc setup or road tube or what for his crankcase ventilation?

Comment

That looks like a heck of a good deal. Only problem for me would be the flat top pistons. I don't know why anyone would build an engine with those pistons, given today's gas situation. I am sure they are great for racing, but I am usually traveling more than 1/4 mile at a time. Wonder if thick head gaskets would alleviate the situation somewhat.

Comment

1-307-272-3337 and ask for Bruce. He'll be happy to answer/address any inquiries/questions. You never know, you might just get a good deal on a nice engine.

He doesn't frequent the forum on a daily basis.
          , ,

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
            That looks like a heck of a good deal. Only problem for me would be the flat top pistons. I don't know why anyone would build an engine with those pistons, given today's gas situation. I am sure they are great for racing, but I am usually traveling more than 1/4 mile at a time. Wonder if thick head gaskets would alleviate the situation somewhat.
            Where does this dislike of flat-top 289s come from?

This engine is a great daily driver; 0.030 over, 7570 heads, R2 cam, and R3 head gaskets on 87 pump gas!

No ping, no pre-detonation, no run-on.

Just lots of grins!

Comment

This is my engine and T-10 setup for sale! My 63 Avanti had this same engine with no driveability problems what so ever!! The PCV valve is on the valley cover and works great. I have used this setup on 2 other 289's with no problems. I have also modified the road draft tube on another engine by removing the tube and installed the PCV valve there and it worked fine. Many ways to solve a problem. Bruce.
              1958 Transtar 3E6-122
              1958 Transtar 3E13-31
              1959 Transtar 4E7-122
              1959 Lark 2 door Wagon
              1960 Transtar 5E28-171
              1960 Lark Gasser
              1963 Daytona

Comment

Wow I wish I had 3k laying around! I would love to have that engine and trans combo. I doubt the seller would take payments... oh well a man can dream.

Comment

I only need the transmission and bellhousing... (and the flywheel, clutch, etc.)
                  Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
                    I only need the transmission and bellhousing... (and the flywheel, clutch, etc.)
                    when engine hunting I talked to a guy who had all that stuff and a little more. He said he had two shifters, and the clutch pedal but not the pedal linkage, I think pretty much everything else though. 500 bucks Seemed like a decent deal to me.

Comment

Does he still have them? Is there a way to contact him?
                      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Just my un educated opinion but that looks and sounds like one heck of a deal!
                        I can't believe it isn't gone already.

Dean.

Comment

Working...
                        X