1964 R4 Daytona Hardtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 R4 Daytona Hardtop

I read in the Illustrated Studebaker Buyers Guide (Langworth)that one 1964 R4 Daytona Hardtop was built.
    Is this the Nelson Bove car that has been mentioned on the forums?

Just couldn't recall if it had been mentioned, hopefully it survived.

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Lockleys South Australia
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

The nice thing is: If Nelson doesn't own it, he knows where it is! [}] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The nice thing is: If Nelson doesn't own it, he knows where it is! [}] BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

I read in the Illustrated Studebaker Buyers Guide (Langworth)that one 1964 R4 Daytona Hardtop was built.
        It was built for/by one of the car magazines (maybe Motor Trend). They had the writer actually do a lot of the assembly work on the car. They drove it back to California from South Bend. I don't know whether it was considered a regular production car or not. I do remember them reporting a long downhill stretch of road gave them 8 miles per gallon[V].
        I have the article somewhere. If I can find it I'll scan some or all of it.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
        '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
        '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
        Museum R-4 engine
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

It was built for/by one of the car magazines (maybe Motor Trend). They had the writer actually do a lot of the assembly work on the car. They drove it back to California from South Bend. I don't know whether it was considered a regular production car or not. I do remember them reporting a long downhill stretch of road gave them 8 miles per gallon[V].
          I have the article somewhere. If I can find it I'll scan some or all of it.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
          '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
          '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
          Museum R-4 engine
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Sonny already has scanned all the pages onto his site. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
            '59 Scotsman
            '63 Daytona
            Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

Sonny already has scanned all the pages onto his site. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
              '59 Scotsman
              '63 Daytona
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Where is this car now and they only built one? To bad I would love to have one just like it. After all 64's are my favorite!

Randy_G
                1959 Lark Sedan
                This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

Where is this car now and they only built one? To bad I would love to have one just like it. After all 64's are my favorite!

Randy_G
                  1959 Lark Sedan
                  This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

Yes Randy, only one was built. And if Nelson Bove doesn't own it, I don't know who does. I DO know that he owns the original R3 '64 Lark.

The only true R4 I've ever seen belongs to a fella in Florida, and it's installed in a '63 Avanti. (originally a R1 car) He took me for a (not long enough!) ride in his car, and that engine is REALLY something! And the sound is just amazing. However, to build one, would probably set you back at least $25K or so. [xx(]

Matthew Burnette
                    '59 Scotsman
                    '63 Daytona
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Yes Randy, only one was built. And if Nelson Bove doesn't own it, I don't know who does. I DO know that he owns the original R3 '64 Lark.

The only true R4 I've ever seen belongs to a fella in Florida, and it's installed in a '63 Avanti. (originally a R1 car) He took me for a (not long enough!) ride in his car, and that engine is REALLY something! And the sound is just amazing. However, to build one, would probably set you back at least $25K or so. [xx(]

Matthew Burnette
                      '59 Scotsman
                      '63 Daytona
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

But.........there was an article in one of the period magazines of a '64 R4 Daytona convertible--which was road tested in that issue. So..........apparently it never was titled and subsequently destroyed by the factory? Or what? The article appears in the April 1964 (of all places) issue of CARS magazine. I still maintain that Studebaker built some amazing cars for the time. It did 146 mph and 0-60 in 6.7 seconds--that is an awesome combination and supposedly on 3.54 gears. Test weight is given as 3570 lbs and listed at $4809.65. That was a LOTTA money in 1963 dollars (as by April of 1964 they were, obviously, history in the recent past). I CANNOT imagine another 1964 compact or full size American car that would do 146 out of the box. It had the Halibrand mags at just under $300 for the four. But what happened to it? Probably never find out. Anyone would like a copy of the article I can do photo copies--can't vouch for how the photos will come out, though.

wagone and the '63 R2 Avanti

Comment

But.........there was an article in one of the period magazines of a '64 R4 Daytona convertible--which was road tested in that issue. So..........apparently it never was titled and subsequently destroyed by the factory? Or what? The article appears in the April 1964 (of all places) issue of CARS magazine. I still maintain that Studebaker built some amazing cars for the time. It did 146 mph and 0-60 in 6.7 seconds--that is an awesome combination and supposedly on 3.54 gears. Test weight is given as 3570 lbs and listed at $4809.65. That was a LOTTA money in 1963 dollars (as by April of 1964 they were, obviously, history in the recent past). I CANNOT imagine another 1964 compact or full size American car that would do 146 out of the box. It had the Halibrand mags at just under $300 for the four. But what happened to it? Probably never find out. Anyone would like a copy of the article I can do photo copies--can't vouch for how the photos will come out, though.

wagone and the '63 R2 Avanti

Comment

That car was built by the Granatellis to use for speed trials. The R4 John is referring to was the only one built by the Stude factory.

Matthew Burnette
                            '59 Scotsman
                            '63 Daytona
                            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

That car was built by the Granatellis to use for speed trials. The R4 John is referring to was the only one built by the Stude factory.

Matthew Burnette
                              '59 Scotsman
                              '63 Daytona
                              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                              X