Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not a single 53, 54 or 55 sedan at the IM.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a single 53, 54 or 55 sedan at the IM.

I was surprised that I have not seen any of the above. No Conestogas either. I have seen plenty of 56, 57 and
    even 58s, And wagons too.
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

So Colorado is '53-'55 Sedan-less huh, I guess they need to get on Craigslist and grab all those '55 Champion 4 Dr. Deluxes for only $40,000.00 !
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
      I was surprised that I have not seen any of the above. No Conestogas either. I have seen plenty of 56, 57 and
      even 58s, And wagons too.
      Any '57 Packard wagons? Pictures please!
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Geez - there's usually SEVERAL '55 sedans at any given Stude meet.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That is surprising, and a bit disappointing too. These models are so underrated. You usually see a few '55 sedans and Conestoga's at least.

Chris.

Comment

Conversely, surprising was the number of 1961 model year Hawks here at the IM. I didn't do an actual count, but I'm willing to bet there are more 1961 Hawks here than any single year of Gran Turismo Hawks.

One gentleman, Gary Baty of Wichita KS, again displayed his Flamingo/4-spped 1961 Hawk he bought new in 1961, with all paperwork and supporting documents. It was ordered without wheel covers and is still displayed with its original dog dish hub caps. He had also displayed that same '61 at the Colorado Springs National Meet here in 1973!
            Cool beans. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Wow! Mr. Baty's gotta be a number of years older than the number of years Studebaker built automobiles!
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

One thing that has crossed my mind over the years, is how meets often trend to a certain model. Some meets have an unusual turnout of trucks, bullet noses, Larks, or Avantis. The great thing about moving the "big meet" around the country, is that those living in a more reasonable driving distance, give us a chance to see examples we, otherwise, would never see.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                  Wow! Mr. Baty's gotta be a number of years older than the number of years Studebaker built automobiles!
                  True, Bob; he's up there in years (I spent several minutes talking to him). He displays two nice color, period photos of himself and his wife (who is also here at the IM) standing with the car in front of their home in Wichita within a few weeks of when they took delivery of it. They look quite young.

BTW, he displays the original retail sales agreement with the car. It shows that he received $100 allowance for the "1953 Studebaker" he traded in on the Hawk! BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

That is really awesome Bob, I hope he has a Daughter/Son or Grandson/Granddaughter to give it to when he is gone.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Rich, from what I've seen thru the years, that usually doesn't go well. There's exceptions to be sure. I know there's a couple on the forums - or used to be. But my kids - even tho they spent some years touring around in my Studes, they just aren't enthusiatic about a vintage piece they couldn't expect 200K virtually care free miles out of. And my grandkids? Foget it. They want some modern zoomer with all the bells 'n whistles and not having to check the oil every week.

Comment

I thought the variety of vehicles was different from the Springfield MO meet, Gettysburg and South Bend meets I have attended. Earlier I heard there were going to be around 500 cars here. Before the concours today, I think 200 would have been more realistic. The total probably went to around 230 - 245 with people that came in for the concours. There were good numbers of finned Hawks, GT Hawks, Larks, Avantis and 2R series pickups. I think I saw more quality cars at this meet than others. A yellow 38 Coupe Express, and a 57 President wagon were just drop dead gorgeous. There also were several very very nice Avantis here too.
                        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Gary used to have a car I would love to own. 63 R2 wagon. Couldn't afford it when he sold it many years ago

Denny L

Comment

Roscomacaw, I wasn't really into vintage vehicles either until about 10 years ago. My dad was always working on the Ranchero and I would help him, mainly because he told me to go and help him with it. After a while it seemed like all he ever did on that car was work on it. My mum owned a cadillac, which seemed to be vastly more dependable than the Ranchero. So to me it appeared that older cars were just undependable, slow piles of crap. I later learned that he only put the lowest cost parts in that he could find, making the car undependable. That's another reason I refuse to be a CASO. There are some situations where buying the less expensive, or least expensive thing is ok, but when it's for something you depend on to drive you to work/school, and where ever, everyday. It doesn't make sense to choose to put crap on your car because it costs less if you can afford better.

What I learned about vintage vehicles is that they're usually very simple and if maintained well, will actually be more dependable in ways than the newer vehicles.
                            www.spannerbird.com
                            Coral/Beige 1953 Studebaker Commander Starlight.

Comment

'Tiss a shame!
                              So for people like me, here's my own + a german at Old Style Weekend:
                              dscn9046.jpg-53 HotMustard 2 .jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X