Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ricky Nelson Avanti

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ricky Nelson Avanti

    Ricky Nelson photographed in his 1963 Studebaker Avanti serial no R1607


  • #2
    1606 & 1608 are in the AOAI Roster that I have (2011), but not 1607.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

    Comment


    • #3
      I think I know what happened to that serial number plate:

      sigpic
      Dave Lester

      Comment


      • #4
        Wow, a rare photo of the exclusive "targa top" model.
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

        Washington State

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
          Wow, a rare photo of the exclusive "targa top" model.
          I believe the proper term is "Brougham" for the top being partially open at the front, especially since there seems to be a good bit of roof still in place ahead of the rear window...

          Ken

          Comment


          • #6
            Back in 72, I was working with some of the old Walker drivers that delivered Studebakers. They told me that Rickey had wrecked the Avanty and they brought it back to South Bend. This is hear say.

            Comment


            • #7
              Were you hiding in the Nut Trees at (roscoemacaw) Bob Kabchef's house to get that cool candid Pic Dave?
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by spokejr View Post
                I believe the proper term is "Brougham" for the top being partially open at the front, especially since there seems to be a good bit of roof still in place ahead of the rear window...
                Or "Sedanca"

                More on Ricky Nelson's Avanti here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=nelson

                Craig
                Last edited by 8E45E; 07-03-2013, 08:05 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Bob Johnstone's site has some Nelson car info.

                  http://studebaker-info.org/AVDB1/R10...7/63r1607.html
                  Jim
                  Often in error, never in doubt
                  http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

                  ____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Pretty interesting stuff Jim, the selling Dealer for Ricky's '63 R2 4 speed Avanti R1607 was non other than the Frank H. Afton Co. Inglewood, CA where my Dad was a salesman!
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Was Nelson's Avanti R 1607 or R 1431? Avanti R 1607 was for sale online a while back and the ad indicated that it was Nelson's car. It was painted red and does not look like the car in the photo. Now I read on this forum that his car was 63R 1431. Frankly, R 1431 seems to match the car in the photo exactly. Is my published info inaccurate? Or did Nelson own more than one Avanti? So much for trusting the Internet!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think the wacko '55 Champion Deluxe 4 Dr. Craigslist Sellers are fooling with us!
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I saw a car that said it belonged to Nelson for sale a few years back. It was out of a museum....but rgallatin has a point. I'm confused too!
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

                          Washington State

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by rgallatin View Post
                            Was Nelson's Avanti R 1607 or R 1431? Avanti R 1607 was for sale online a while back and the ad indicated that it was Nelson's car. It was painted red and does not look like the car in the photo. Now I read on this forum that his car was 63R 1431. Frankly, R 1431 seems to match the car in the photo exactly. Is my published info inaccurate? Or did Nelson own more than one Avanti? So much for trusting the Internet!
                            I have proof that Ricky Nelson purchased his new Avanti in November 1962 from Coventry Motors at 9334 Wilshire Blvd. in Beverly Hills California. It was serial number 63R 1431. Avanti Gold with black vinyl trim with automatic, ps, electric windows and air conditioning etc. Of course it is possible he owned a 2nd Avanti.
                            Richard Quinn
                            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X