Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We are stuck in Vancouver WA, Need help finding a place to work on 1964 GT Hawk

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • We are stuck in Vancouver WA, Need help finding a place to work on 1964 GT Hawk

    We are stuck in Vancouver WA, Need help finding a place/shop/driveway to work on 1964 GT Hawk we lost a rear wheel cylinder.

    Help
    Studerick
    Rick Pierce
    916-548-0340
    StudeRick & Johna
    Sacramento CA

    1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1963 Avanti
    1961 Lark Wagon
    1963 Lark Daytona

  • #2
    The Studebaker rear wheel cylinder is just a generic Bendix/Wagner/Lockheed part, absolutely nothing magic. Any automotive shop can R&R it, bleed the line and have you on your way. All you have to do is help them find the cross reference for the part. A NAPA store which has the old paper parts books should be able to come up with one for you.

    jack vines
    PackardV8

    Comment


    • #3
      Good luck, I'm sure someone will come through. I sure wish the SDC would create a guide like the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America has, with a member list with contact info and help able to offer for members traveling.

      Comment


      • #4
        Rick~
        Let us know how your car is equipped (power? drum? discs?) and then folks like me can let you know if we can help with a part.
        I am making a trip South on Tuesday...



        Originally posted by LeoH View Post
        I sure wish the SDC would create a guide like the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America has, with a member list with contact info and help able to offer for members traveling.
        It seems to me that SDC did indeed used to have something like that.
        But I have no idea if they are still available or up to date.
        Whatever happened to them?





        StudeDave '57
        Last edited by StudeDave57; 06-30-2013, 01:25 PM. Reason: added stuff
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

        3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

        past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

        past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

        Comment


        • #5
          Rather than publish a list of individual members that could get in the hands of spammers and marketing companies, why don't we publish a list of SDC chapters willing to provide road-side assistance? The chapters will know which individual members are willing to help and the proximity to the person needing assistance.

          Mark L
          Mark L

          Comment


          • #6
            Is the 1964 GT Hawk rear the same as a 1962 GT Hawk?
            Remember doing the rear brakes on my 62 years ago, needed a beefy BluePoint hub remover with a 5lb maul to pop the rear drums off.
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

            "There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Mark L View Post
              Rather than publish a list of individual members that could get in the hands of spammers and marketing companies, why don't we publish a list of SDC chapters willing to provide road-side assistance? The chapters will know which individual members are willing to help and the proximity to the person needing assistance.

              Mark L
              Well...that sounds good...what is the "chapter's" phone number? Who will be in charge of monitoring the "chapter" phone?

              I hope the original poster gets the help he needs. It is amazing how lonely one can feel in a very crowded unfamiliar location.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

              SDC member since 1975

              Comment


              • #8
                Studerick64 - PM sent regarding local service and parts availability.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Here is a link to the Yahoo search for Auto Repair in Vancouver, WA:

                  http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...8&fr=yfp-t-900

                  Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                  It seems to me that SDC did indeed used to have something like that.
                  But I have no idea if they are still available or up to date.
                  Whatever happened to them?
                  StudeDave '57
                  I think Larry Swanson? or someone created the "Glovebox guide to Stude. Parts and Service" or similar, but these things get old pretty quickly.

                  I know of a lot of Stude. Parts sources that were available in 2001, but the owners have passed away or are just sold out and closed.


                  Most or very many '64 GT Hawks were ordered with Disk Brakes, so if that is the case I think you are limited to Stude. Venders who stock the one-off Rear Wheel Cylinder for front Disk Cars, it is 1557668 a 3/4 inch cylinder.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 06-30-2013, 02:07 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    [QUOTE=jclary;756266]Well...that sounds good...what is the "chapter's" phone number? Who will be in charge of monitoring the "chapter" phone?

                    Some names and numbers are on the home page under, "Local SDC Chapters". Rick managed to find a way to get on the internet and post a plea for help. The chapter contacts were just a click away. That doesn't mean any of them happened to be home at the moment.

                    I'm sorry I'm too far away to help today, but this sure generated a good discussion for future action.

                    Rick, please let us know when you get back on the road, and who was able to help you.

                    Mark L
                    Mark L

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mark L View Post

                      Some names and numbers are on the home page under, "Local SDC Chapters". Rick managed to find a way to get on the internet and post a plea for help. The chapter contacts were just a click away. That doesn't mean any of them happened to be home at the moment.

                      I'm sorry I'm too far away to help today, but this sure generated a good discussion for future action.

                      Rick, please let us know when you get back on the road, and who was able to help you.

                      Mark L
                      Good reply Mark. I think this very forum is the answer. The more we grow club participation on this forum and the more technology allows for mobile access to the internet...the forum could be the main platform for quick emergency assistance.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

                      SDC member since 1975

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Depending on the type of rear end, the OP may also need a puller to get the hub off. So, short of an SDC member, he's probably gonna have a tough time getting it back on the road under current circumstances.
                        If it were me, I'd just shut off fluid flow to that cylinder, bleed the rears, then limp it to somewhere I could fix it properly, even if that was all the way back to Sacto. But that's just me. I wouldn't really recommend that procedure to anyone else.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks to everyone! We have disc brakes & flanged axles. Napa is shipping 2 wheel cyclinder kits from OR & there is a young guy who's family does old cars & he will work on it Monday.
                          We are in an A/C room and not on the side of the road! This forum is full of great Studebaker people! Thanks again! Rick & Johna
                          StudeRick & Johna
                          Sacramento CA

                          1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
                          1957 Silver Hawk
                          1963 Avanti
                          1961 Lark Wagon
                          1963 Lark Daytona

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Studerick64 View Post
                            This forum is full of great Studebaker people! Thanks again! Rick & Johna
                            I'm glad to hear you've got it all worked out.
                            Enjoy the rest of your trip.


                            The Can-Am Zone RULES!!!




                            StudeDave '57
                            StudeDave '57
                            US Navy (retired)

                            3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                            SDC Member since 1985

                            past President
                            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                            San Diego Chapter SDC

                            past Vice President
                            San Diego Chapter SDC
                            North Florida Chapter SDC

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Awesome news, Rick.

                              I don't have a smartphone, but more and more people are getting them. Maybe the SDC webpage can be optimized to work with mobile displays. How much work and expense would this take?

                              It's been said Studebaker was ahead of their time. Maybe we can keep that tradition alive with our website.

                              Mark L
                              Mark L

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X