Someone needs to grab this Champ truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone needs to grab this Champ truck

This has already been discussed on the Truck Talk page.

This 1960 5E11-122 is one of 245 trucks of this particular model that rolled out the doors in South Bend for that model year. The 245 Big Six is no longer under the hood, but it has a 289... Chances are you could count all these trucks that survived on two hands - and still have a few fingers left over...

Here's another. Not much left of it. 5E6, 245 engine 3 speed OD. It is one of the few left in Don Gay's lot in Low Point.Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	1682526
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

That is a truck that would certainly come home to Me if life would allow.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

??? Question: is it a rare truck because of the Big 6 or something unmentioned ? Does a 289 (259) bolt right up to a Big 6 bellhousing ??

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
          ??? Question: is it a rare truck because of the Big 6 or something unmentioned ? Does a 289 (259) bolt right up to a Big 6 bellhousing ??
          Yep - rare because of being a 5E11. There were over 1300 5E6s (1/2 ton Big 6) that were produced in 1960 - so there were four times as many of those produced - not that they are everywhere you look...

I think it is interesting because it is the last year for that engine and the very first year for Studebaker last new truck design (minus Zip vans...)

Factory photo of what it would have looked like originally.

Comment

Glad I can't bring another Stude home! That 5E11 would find it's way here and I'd also find a 245 for it!
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
              Jack, since no one has answered your question, I'll explain that 6 Cyl. Engines have a completely different Clutch Housing, flywheel, Trans. etc. than V8's, both the 170 and the 245 6's.
              So no, there is no way to just bolt them up willy nilly like a Chev.

Having multiple Studes and Trucks he could well have done the swap correctly with the TRUCK Bellhousing, all of the small parts, Engine Mount Stands (Brackets) and Engine Mounts to do it right.

The neat thing about doing a Truck 6 to 8 conversion, is that the Brakes, Springs and Frame were designed for the weight in each weight class 1/2, 3/4, 1 Ton, NOT the Engine like a Car, so all are alike.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

These are great.

Comment

Does anyone know what the lights were on top of the fenders on this truck? Emergency vehicle lighting or something. Steve Blake from Amarillo had a 1960 Champ a number of years back that had these same type lights on top of the front fenders...

Originally posted by 62champ View Post

Comment

I wish I could grab them both; I really like that 64 in particular, but I'm partial to the hanging pedals. I don't know much about the 5E11 - what exactly does the 11 designate?

Comment

OK, folks, we need a little Studebaker lesson here as we are dealing with a relatively scarce truck, then and now!

Model code- 5E11-22-C4-T1 (1960 3/4 ton Champ pickup)

5.....indicates the model year 1960 for the E series of trucks by Studebaker,
                      E.....the series of Studebaker trucks built for model years 1955 through 1964,
                      11....code for a nominally rated 3/4 ton chassis with a 245 ci flathead, side valve, six cylinder engine, commonly called the Commander or Big Six engine,
                      22....code for the wheelbase of 122 inches measured from the center of the front axle to the center of the rear axle (this wheel base accommodated an 8 foot pickup box,
                      C.....code for 'cab',
                      2.....code for the standard cab as opposed to the C4 Deluxe cab as optional at extra cost,
                      T.....code for 'pickup box', and
                      1.....code for a fender sided, Studebaker designed box as opposed to the later slab sided Dodge designed box.

As noted earlier, the production for this singular model was very low in 1960. My rule of thumb on truck survival over 50 years old is 2% (seat of the pants feeling). 2% of the original 245 produced is less than 5 survivors (generally speaking). I do know of anyone keeping a register or tabs on this particular model, but I feel I'm in the ballpark.

The last one of this model I've seen was in the the 1970's in Spotsylvania County, VA. It was sitting at a gas station with a for sale sign. I have not idea what happened to this truck.

Frank Drumheller
                      Locust Grove, VA
                      60S-W6
                      M16-52 1948 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Comment

Sorry, I meant to make a comment in response to the question concerning the fender lamps. During early E series production of trucks, Studebaker Corp. offered at least two types of signal lights- A and B Types. The A Type is as seen on the pictured truck. The B Type was integrated into the parking lamps between the headlamps and grille. At the rear, A Types had separate lamps, the B Type were integrated into the regular taillamps. Commercial users generally ordered A Types, B Types came as standard production. I believe the A Types were available as a no-cost option. Correct me, truck lovers, if this not correct.

Commercial users generally preferred larger, brighter signal lamps, not the smaller car-based signal lamps.

Frank Drumheller
                        Locust Grove, VA
                        60S-W6
                        M16-52 1948 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty novice at this kind of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by LarkChamp View Post
                            Thanks for the info. I'm pretty novice at this kind of stuff.
                            Don't worry - Mr. Drumheller would make many of the top people working in the truck division at Studebaker look like a novice - he is one of the best.

Comment

Not to worry, LarkChamp! Anytime you might like to have a Studebaker truck or car model code or a serial number deciphered, give me a try. I'm also a contributor on the Studebaker Truck Talk site.

Frank Drumheller
                              Locust Grove, VA
                              60S-W6
                              M16-16 1948 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Comment

Working...
                              X