352 in a 53/54(anyone done it?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Why stop there? Just go and put in the 374 Packard V8. If you're going to do it then go for broke, and if someone has bored and stroked one then something around 400 cid would be nice. I thought about it for a while but for me to get into another engine after all these years of Studebaker V8 engines is just too much. Getting into the Studebaker sixes for a few years was crazy enough but the thought of cubic inches in a Studebaker supplied engine was a cool idea. Then again Chevrolet/GM engines were also supplied in a Studebaker so where does one draw the line? I guess with the wow factor. If anyone can do it then I probably won't do it. If it's not been done before or it's a rarity then I'm in.

Leave a comment:

• Packard8
    replied
    Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
    FWIW, I've provided parts to help build Packard V8s for a Bonneville Vega, a '32 Ford roadster and a '49 Ford pickup rat rod. My '55 E12 pickup and '56 Power Hawk both have Packard V8s. Maybe the Avanti will get one also. ;>)

jack vines
    I'll agree with Jack. These engines when set up right are as smooth as a Swiss watch and as torquey as D9 Cat. I have a Marine 374 with an Isky cam, HiPo Mopar valve train, AMC oil pump (for a 4 gallon sump with integral oil cooler) Edelbrock 750 Marine carb and a full dynamic ballance. Just waiting for the right classic wood runabout to be its home.

Cheers,

John
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• GThawkwind
    replied
    Well to give you the full story...... I heard that out in Luton IA very close here, there was once a guy named Doug Helms that a scrapper friend of mine sold at least a early sixties Five speed truck, a GH of some sort, two silver hawks, and a 55 pres coupe. I guess there were alot of other cars out there too but these he at least sold him. But now the guy died, and a friend had inherited all his cars....... So I went out to find said guy, and said cars after two hours of looking I found a run down abandoned farm with a mail box out front that read "Doug Helms" So according to my scrapper friend this guy a little up the road had all the cars. While I couldn't find the guy, I did find his son, who told me that his dad was supossed to inherit all the cars, but Doug had outstanding medical bills so the goverment claimed them all, and sold them to a salvage yard here in town. He gave me the number and I called only to find out that any and all of Dougs cars were scrapped, right after purchase. I asked if they kept any parts? She said she didn't think so, but would have the parts manager call me tomorrow. All I got was a blown tire and an answer to my curiousity. But if you don't follow leads like this you'll never catch the real deal when it pops up out there. There may have been a GH out there, I guess I'll never know now............

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Bet'cha can't say that for the tranny!!
    Of course we can. The Borg-Warner T85 is bulletproof.

Oh, there were a few with Twin-Ultramatic automatics which were somewhat problematic.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Originally posted by benaslopoke View Post
    Bet'cha can't say that for the tranny!! I spent a few years with an ex Packard dealer and our transmission tech only had occasional trouble with Ultramatics.. He never had comebacks with anything else.. You never smelled anything worse that a burnt Ultramatic..
    I personally don't care for the UltraMatics, but they are OK. I rebuilt one in a 56J i restored in the late 1980s. My older bro and I then put around 20,000 miles on it, before I sold it to a guy in the Northeast, whom I have kept in touch with over the years. Last time I talked to them a couple of years ago, his wife told me he still drives the car, but only on perfect weather days. He is now in his mid 80s I guess.
    Of the other four driver 56Js I have owned, three had T85s, and one I converted to a TH400. As mentioned, I don't personally care for the Ultra, but they are OK.

Leave a comment:

• benaslopoke
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
    Packard V8s are like Harley shovels & pans, they have tons of personality & class. Also, there really ain't no substitute for cubic inches when it comes to road power. Have driven Packard powered 56Js many miles and many years, and there simply ain't nothing like Packard power.
    As for reliability, with a few mods, they are as good as any V8 of the 50s-60s. My blue & white 56J has around 231,000 miles on it, and still has the original motor. Someone rebuilt it in the 1970s and installed .030" oversized, OEM (Bonaham) pistons. They are still in the car, and still doing great, with about 90,000+ miles since I last went through it.
    I like 352s so well, I seriously considered installing one in the 62GT when its motor needed rebuilt a little over a year ago.

Bet'cha can't say that for the tranny!! I spent a few years with an ex Packard dealer and our transmission tech only had occasional trouble with Ultramatics.. He never had comebacks with anything else.. You never smelled anything worse that a burnt Ultramatic..

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
    Well, it was the Studebaker-Packard Corporation for a few years.

I've built several high horsepower BrandX engines and these days it's pretty much a wasted effort. Traffic is too thick to have room to go fast, the cell phone Nazis will report anyone passing them as an "aggressive driver" and gas is $4.00 a gallon.

Packard V8s are not for everyone, but some of us just like them. End of story.

jack vines
    Packard V8s are like Harley shovels & pans, they have tons of personality & class. Also, there really ain't no substitute for cubic inches when it comes to road power. Have driven Packard powered 56Js many miles and many years, and there simply ain't nothing like Packard power.
    As for reliability, with a few mods, they are as good as any V8 of the 50s-60s. My blue & white 56J has around 231,000 miles on it, and still has the original motor. Someone rebuilt it in the 1970s and installed .030" oversized, OEM (Bonaham) pistons. They are still in the car, and still doing great, with about 90,000+ miles since I last went through it.
    I like 352s so well, I seriously considered installing one in the 62GT when its motor needed rebuilt a little over a year ago.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    but other than keeping it stude which the packard really isn't WHY.
    Well, it was the Studebaker-Packard Corporation for a few years.

I've built several high horsepower BrandX engines and these days it's pretty much a wasted effort. Traffic is too thick to have room to go fast, the cell phone Nazis will report anyone passing them as an "aggressive driver" and gas is $4.00 a gallon.

Packard V8s are not for everyone, but some of us just like them. End of story.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
    I'am sure I'am going to get a lot of heat for this but other than keeping it stude which the packard really isn't WHY. If you want some real power why not go late model motor and trans or even a strocker big block chev or dodge. Not anymore work than the big packard and alot better deal when done. A 500-600 HP streetable package should be easily done.
    If you have to ask.....you wouldn't understand. The sheer size of the Packard is impressive. Anyone can put something common in a Stude...Why be common?
    Practicality has nothing to do with it. Why has someone put a Hemi in a Metropolitan? Certainly not to make it more driveable. Stand out from the crowd, if it pisses off the crowd, find a better crowd!

Leave a comment:

• swvalcon
    replied
    I'am sure I'am going to get a lot of heat for this but other than keeping it stude which the packard really isn't WHY. If you want some real power why not go late model motor and trans or even a strocker big block chev or dodge. Not anymore work than the big packard and alot better deal when done. A 500-600 HP streetable package should be easily done.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    but how many times have You actually heard that someone pulled out a Stude (or a 'Brand X) engine, and replaced it with that big old Packard V8? That HAS to be a rarity!
    FWIW, I've provided parts to help build Packard V8s for a Bonneville Vega, a '32 Ford roadster and a '49 Ford pickup rat rod. My '55 E12 pickup and '56 Power Hawk both have Packard V8s. Maybe the Avanti will get one also. ;>)

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    I saw a Lark at Jim Whites old place in Inmann Kansas many years ago. It had such a high lift cam, and was modified with Studebaker rocker arms on the shafts. The valve covers were notched and angle iron was welded over to clear the rockers.
    I always wanted to install a 374 and supercharge it on our last Packard Hawk we had. never did though.

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    I've been thinking about this thread a bit today, and wondered.....I know that over the years many, many 1956 Golden Hawks have had their Packard powertrains pulled out with various other engines installed in it's place....but how many times have You actually heard that someone pulled out a Stude (or a 'Brand X) engine, and replaced it with that big old Packard V8? That HAS to be a rarity!

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Ask the man who owns one. Once you've gone Packard power, you'll never go back.

Mechanically, it's really no more difficult than say changing from a Champion 6-cyl to a Studebaker V8. All the running gear has to be upgraded anyway.

The one-year-only '56J-specific parts are obviously less common, but a couple of forum members have thrown away those parts and replaced them with BrandX, so ask around and maybe they'll make you a deal.

Should you decide to do it right, I've got all the Packard performance and oiling system parts. Interestingly, even though Packard V8s are less common than Studebaker V8s, custom parts is custom parts and professional machine work doesn't care, so building in the extra 50-100 horsepower is pretty much free.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    If anyone should attempt a swap like this, (Packard V8 into Stude C/K), Be sure to take a hard look at the Olds oil pump conversion before the engine goes in. I've never tried the conversion Myself, but the idea seems sound, and should clear up what is the major weak point in those engine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X