No announcement yet.

352 in a 53/54(anyone done it?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well to give you the full story...... I heard that out in Luton IA very close here, there was once a guy named Doug Helms that a scrapper friend of mine sold at least a early sixties Five speed truck, a GH of some sort, two silver hawks, and a 55 pres coupe. I guess there were alot of other cars out there too but these he at least sold him. But now the guy died, and a friend had inherited all his cars....... So I went out to find said guy, and said cars after two hours of looking I found a run down abandoned farm with a mail box out front that read "Doug Helms" So according to my scrapper friend this guy a little up the road had all the cars. While I couldn't find the guy, I did find his son, who told me that his dad was supossed to inherit all the cars, but Doug had outstanding medical bills so the goverment claimed them all, and sold them to a salvage yard here in town. He gave me the number and I called only to find out that any and all of Dougs cars were scrapped, right after purchase. I asked if they kept any parts? She said she didn't think so, but would have the parts manager call me tomorrow. All I got was a blown tire and an answer to my curiousity. But if you don't follow leads like this you'll never catch the real deal when it pops up out there. There may have been a GH out there, I guess I'll never know now............

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
      FWIW, I've provided parts to help build Packard V8s for a Bonneville Vega, a '32 Ford roadster and a '49 Ford pickup rat rod. My '55 E12 pickup and '56 Power Hawk both have Packard V8s. Maybe the Avanti will get one also. ;>)

jack vines
      I'll agree with Jack. These engines when set up right are as smooth as a Swiss watch and as torquey as D9 Cat. I have a Marine 374 with an Isky cam, HiPo Mopar valve train, AMC oil pump (for a 4 gallon sump with integral oil cooler) Edelbrock 750 Marine carb and a full dynamic ballance. Just waiting for the right classic wood runabout to be its home.

Cheers,

John
      Attached Files
      1996 Impala SS
      1967 Jag XKE FHC
      1963 Avanti R2
      1963 Avanti R1
      1956 Packard Patrician
      1948 Jag Mk IV DHC
      1909 Hupmobile Model 20

Comment

Why stop there? Just go and put in the 374 Packard V8. If you're going to do it then go for broke, and if someone has bored and stroked one then something around 400 cid would be nice. I thought about it for a while but for me to get into another engine after all these years of Studebaker V8 engines is just too much. Getting into the Studebaker sixes for a few years was crazy enough but the thought of cubic inches in a Studebaker supplied engine was a cool idea. Then again Chevrolet/GM engines were also supplied in a Studebaker so where does one draw the line? I guess with the wow factor. If anyone can do it then I probably won't do it. If it's not been done before or it's a rarity then I'm in.

Comment

Originally posted by Packard8 View Post
          I'll agree with Jack. These engines when set up right are as smooth as a Swiss watch and as torquey as D9 Cat. I have a Marine 374 with an Isky cam, HiPo Mopar valve train, AMC oil pump (for a 4 gallon sump with integral oil cooler) Edelbrock 750 Marine carb and a full dynamic ballance. Just waiting for the right classic wood runabout to be its home.

Cheers,

John
          John,
          That Packard engine is just stinkin awesome. WOW. Very cool machine.
          sals54

Comment

John

I agree that gorgeous engine deserves one of these.

Bob

Comment

FWIW, After Packard production ended, there were still dozens of '56J engines in the pipeline. SASCO sold them for $495 retail. A couple of big boat shops bought a several and converted them to marine use. They still show up from time to time.

The shop I work out of for precision machine work charges more to build the old flathead six-cylinder marine Hercules, Chris-Craft, Chrysler, et al , than for a Packard V8.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                John

I agree that gorgeous engine deserves one of these.

Bob
                Yessir Bob, I would go as high as $1500 for that Hacker tri cockpit!
                1996 Impala SS
                1967 Jag XKE FHC
                1963 Avanti R2
                1963 Avanti R1
                1956 Packard Patrician
                1948 Jag Mk IV DHC
                1909 Hupmobile Model 20

Comment

FWIW, After Packard production ended, there were still dozens of '56J engines in the pipeline. SASCO sold them for $495 retail. A couple of big boat shops bought a several and converted them to marine use. They still show up from time to time.

The shop I work out of for precision machine work charges more to build the old flathead six-cylinder marine Hercules, Chris-Craft, Chrysler, et al , than for a Packard V8.

jack vines
                  Jack, here are some pix of the oil pump and water cooled pan. I've seen one or two Stokes conversions, and this one (Andres Marine) seems a lot better engineered with stainless manifolds and copper plumbing.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Packard8; 07-02-2013, 11:38 AM.
                  1996 Impala SS
                  1967 Jag XKE FHC
                  1963 Avanti R2
                  1963 Avanti R1
                  1956 Packard Patrician
                  1948 Jag Mk IV DHC
                  1909 Hupmobile Model 20

Comment

wow!

John,I do not know you, but I will tell you that this 352 is absolutely georgeous!........I might even give my left 'nut" to have this..........surely better than a roll in the hay with Carmen Electra! Man I would so stuff this in my Avanti!Good luck with it simply beautiful!
                    Originally posted by Packard8 View Post

Cheers,

John

Comment

I would so stuff this in my Avanti!
                      Interestingly, an Avanti, with more room up front would actually be an easier conversion to Packard power than the C-cab trucks.

I've thought about doing one, but it would have to be with a front wheel drive setup from the Eldorado/Toronado. An Avanti with all the weight on the front is a natural for becoming FWD. No traction problem then.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Interestingly, an Avanti, with more room up front would actually be an easier conversion to Packard power than the C-cab trucks.

I've thought about doing one, but it would have to be with a front wheel drive setup from the Eldorado/Toronado. An Avanti with all the weight on the front is a natural for becoming FWD. No traction problem then.

jack vines
                        Ah to see the look on the face of an Avanti snob reading that post.

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                          Ah to see the look on the face of an Avanti snob reading that post.
                          From the folks I have met, Avanti owners aren't snobs. They are kinda like 56J owners, a subculture in an already small culture of Stude owners.

I have always thought Avantis were intriguing, but the only one I ever came close to buying was the one with the 429 Caddy motor, installed by Joe Granatelli in the 1960s. It was at the annual LA Spring Meet in California, in the late 1980s IIRC. Thank goodness the owner was honest and told me it had had an overheating problem since day-one, nobody had ever been able to solve. I lived in the desert at that time, so that was an instant deal breaker.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                            From the folks I have met, Avanti owners aren't snobs. They are kinda like 56J owners, a subculture in an already small culture of Stude owners.

I have always thought Avantis were intriguing, but the only one I ever came close to buying was the one with the 429 Caddy motor, installed by Joe Granatelli in the 1960s. It was at the annual LA Spring Meet in California, in the late 1980s IIRC. Thank goodness the owner was honest and told me it had had an overheating problem since day-one, nobody had ever been able to solve. I lived in the desert at that time, so that was an instant deal breaker.
                            No of course not most are. But with any prestigeous such as an Avanti there are always the uppity types, who take there car ownership way to seriously. With the Avanti, I've read about them but really met any yet.

Comment

I tried to zoom in to see if those plug wires say "Packard 440" but was un-successful.

Then again some would say stranded copper ain't the best.
                              http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25712

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                                No of course not most are. But with any prestigeous such as an Avanti there are always the uppity types, who take there car ownership way to seriously. With the Avanti, I've read about them but really met any yet.
                                Daniel, in the past i've owned 3 Corvettes and 1 Avanti. believe me, "most" Avanti owners i know are NOT "uppity". i'll admit "some" on 'net posts here - but mainly elsewhere, may be so. then again it may be just "pride" showing, as some of us do comparing our Studebaker loves to a "Brand X".

Corvette owners - that's another story. the first car show i took my '80 C-3 with "matching numbers" and 38K original survivor miles, i got some grief from the C-2 and early C-3 owners. the 2 main complaints were "no chrome bumpers" after '72/'73, and the (federally mandated) de-tuned L-48 engine. other examples, but i don't want to write a book. i will say it wasn't everyone, but "many" more than just "some"...

even with the modified Avanti nasty-grams i've talked about in other threads, i've worked thru all that. and i feel the SDC and the forum has a "big tent", and there's enough room for everyone!

since there's another thread about Ricky Nelson's Avanti, i'll just say: "You can't please everyone - you have to please yourself"!!!
                                Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                                X