Vapor Lock ATTEN: DEVILDOG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vapor Lock ATTEN: DEVILDOG

The following was posted last August in a post about Vapor Lock at the Nationals. My question is would lower octane gas contain less butane and so decrease the chance of vapor lock? I always use the best and now after years of NO vapor lock I had it twice in a week. I know it's Vapor Lock trust me I know.

Ethanol dos NOT contribute to the vapor locking. Actually ethanol has a lower vapor pressure/temperature than non-ethanol gasoline. However, todays gasoline generally has a higher vapor pressure or tendency to vaporize (vapor lock and carb bowls boil off) because the refineries blend in more Butane than in the summer gas in the 1960-70's period.

Two reasons; butane has a very high octane rating which allows the refiner to blend in more low octane components and since the USA fleet of autos are nearly all FI (with higher pressure fuel pumps), todays pump gas performs well in our modern fleet. But, todays pump gas vaporizes more easily and can vapor lock in our older carb engine fuel systems.

Joe

Here is the original thread: Vapor Lock at the SDC Nationals

Comment

This was my fix........Click image for larger version

Name:	Champ 003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	1682521
      Jon Stalnaker
      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...