Houston, TX area: Looking for Radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston, TX area: Looking for Radiator

I will be in the Houston, TX area starting monday of this next week July 1st. I am needing a radiator for my 65 Studebaker commander v8. I would like to find a nice 3 row radiator. If you have one or know where I might find one in the Houston area. please let me know.. We will be staying over on the east side by Galveston Bay.. however I could drive to where you are if you have one.
    Thanks,
    Mike

The one member in Houston, Barry Hackney, that would likely have what you need will be in Colorado Springs selling his wares next week, tough luck my friend. Don't know who else may have something there.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I have found that usually 50 year old + Radiators are not much better than what you have, unless you have NONE.

If you have one a 2 Row can be re-cored with 3 Rows of Tubes at a Radiator Shop in a nearby larger town or your own town, but will cost you between $350.00 and $500.00 depending on the Shop, the area etc. etc.

If you spend say; $250.00 on a "good" used one, it may look OK but have very thin tubes ready to "go".
      New old stock Rads. were available until the 1990's and a few beyond that in South Bend, IN but no longer.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
        The one member in Houston, Barry Hackney, that would likely have what you need will be in Colorado Springs selling his wares next week, tough luck my friend. Don't know who else may have something there.

Oh yes.. I have bought other parts for my 65 from Barry before.. on another trip to Houston.. Thanks for the heads up.. Sorry he won't be available.

Comment

Thanks for info StudeRich.. yeah I know how radiators can be really bad.. :-)

Comment

Unless your made of money... and if your radiator is the same as my '63 V8 and my Champ v8.... Use a 280Z radiator on sale at Advance Auto for $165 until 7/6. Order on line an pick up local.

'63= Yoke 27" wide; width of core 24 1/2"; Height of core 18"; Height of tank 22 3/4"; 2 core
            280Z= Width of core 24 1/2; Height of core 16 1/2; total tank height 21"; 3 core

Only beware is that inlet outlet are closer the center and smaller size you must be careful with your hose routing.,

Total core area is about 1.5 times original and fins are tighter spaced.
            Very straight forward swap. And Champ runs downright cold.

http://www.viddler.com/v/6020dc25

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
              Unless your made of money... and if your radiator is the same as my '63 V8 and my Champ v8.... Use a 280Z radiator on sale at Advance Auto for $165 until 7/6. Order on line an pick up local.

'63= Yoke 27" wide; width of core 24 1/2"; Height of core 18"; Height of tank 22 3/4"; 2 core
              280Z= Width of core 24 1/2; Height of core 16 1/2; total tank height 21"; 3 core

Only beware is that inlet outlet are closer the center and smaller size you must be careful with your hose routing.,

Total core area is about 1.5 times original and fins are tighter spaced.
              Very straight forward swap. And Champ runs downright cold.

http://www.viddler.com/v/6020dc25
              Wow! Thanks for the info mmagic... I'll check into the 280Z 3 core radiator.. this will be cooling a Buick 350 in my 65 studebaker..
              Mike

Comment

Working...
              X