Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody know anything about this pin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody know anything about this pin?

I just got this pin from a friend of mine who got it off Ebay. Around the outer rim it says "Studebaker Qualified Mechanic" and in the middle it shows a fist gripping a wrench. I've never seen one before. Does anybody here know anything about it. I know that the Studebaker service school sometimes gave out award pins, but the ones I've seen from that look completely different. Could this pin have something to do with that?
    Chris Dresbach

I'll add that it's just a little bit smaller than a typical red ball Studebaker service pin.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
      I'll add that it's just a little bit smaller than a typical red ball Studebaker service pin.
      Chris,
      You have the Studebaker Qualified Mechanic screw back that was first issued by the South Bend Service School in 1944. The gold Master Mechanic screw back made up the set of two. Most of the attendees who attended the schools strived for the Master version so yours proves the harder one to find amongst memorabilia collectors. I have my two mounted with the mini card certificate in a frame. I do have your email address from the SDC Roster & can send you an image if you wish?

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
      MELBOURNE.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	article.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1680484Click image for larger version

Name:	card service hodak 1945 copy 2.jpg
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1680485
        Program started in March 1944. The pins were accompanied with a membership card as shown above. I have reproduced them. For the right $$ can send you one with your name on it! See your Sept 2001 TW Almanac for lots of additional information on these and other mechanic pins. There were several different.
        Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 06-27-2013, 01:23 AM.
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Am I the only one who would this on a semi regular basis? I love stuff like this. I really like vintage clothing and patches I would love to have something like this or even a mechanics patch.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4857 mech pin pr copy.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1680486 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4865 copy.jpg
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1680487
            Here actual photos of some of the service men pins in my collection. There are many more.
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I have the one with the caliper on it. I had two but sold one to someone from Austrailia several years ago.

Denny L

Comment

Thanks for the information! I had never seen one before.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                  Am I the only one who would this on a semi regular basis? I love stuff like this. I really like vintage clothing and patches I would love to have something like this or even a mechanics patch.
                  Then you wouldn't believe some of the stuff I have hung up in my basement... I'll post some pics later.
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                    Then you wouldn't believe some of the stuff I have hung up in my basement... I'll post some pics later.
                    That sounds like something a serial killer would say!!!

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by Green53 View Post
                      I have the one with the caliper on it. I had two but sold one to someone from Austrailia several years ago.

Denny L
                      I hate to post a correction to you at this time, but others may be misled if something isn't said.
                      I believe that you are referring to a pin with a micrometer on it (like the one that Richard posted). I do not believe that there was a pin with a caliper on it. Of course, Richard may prove me to be incorrect on this.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Sorry Gary. It is a micrometer. My mind isn't working that well since Sunday.

Denny

Comment

Originally posted by Green53 View Post
                          Sorry Gary. It is a micrometer. My mind isn't working that well since Sunday.

Denny
                          Sorry Denny. I understand. I was both surprised and happy to see you posting on the Forum.
                          I wasn't trying to criticize you. I just wanted to make it clear for others reading this thread/topic.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                            Am I the only one who would ------ this on a semi regular basis? I love stuff like this. I really like vintage clothing and patches I would love to have something like this or even a mechanics patch.
                            Is there a reason why most all of your posts have the critical word or words missing? A Computer, IPOD, smart phone thing, failure to proofread, typo maybe, brain freeze?

StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
                              That sounds like something a serial killer would say!!!

Chris.
                              Hey now, I'm no killer, just a serial collector!!
                              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                              X