• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotcha votes 116 and 117. My wife likes your truck too
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Thanks EVERYONE !! Considering I had 1 vote a month ago and now only 10 votes behind car in post 18, I think the effort put out by members on this forum have been awesome! You have no idea how thrilled I am for the support given !! Randy
      Randy Wilkin
      1946 M5 Streetrod
      Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Bumping back to first page! Thanks for votes!!! http://fan.powerblocktv.com/entry/2601029
        Randy Wilkin
        1946 M5 Streetrod
        Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

I dun voted. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by rodnutrandy View Post
            Ok, I am going to go long winded. With 688 views , I figure some are upset I made a streetrod out of a cherry truck.
            I think some of us get uncomfortable with these types of contests because they don't accurately gauge anything. It's not about what vehicle is the best, it's more about getting friends to cast votes, cheating wherever possible. How many are doing this at work when they're on the clock, on the company computer, when they're supposed to be working? And, we see people logging in under spouses' names to cheat around the rules? I mean, really- the current second place is a rough, unrestored Chevy truck that the owner doesn't even bother to work on? And also ahead of you are a rusty S-10 pickup with bondo smeared over paint, and even two who don't even show their vehicle? Really?

I of course voted for you- myself- within the rules. I hope you win. But I doubt your lack of votes has anything to do with your customization, it's more about the dishonest nature of these contests.
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

That's all true....
              And also, it is a web address harvesting tool used by businesses to get legit, demographic specific, web addresses.
              And to add another opinion here....
              Sure, it's just a popularity contest.
              Sure, it's easy to vote once a day.....or have multiple e-mail addresses to vote.
              But that is not against the rules they, the contest holders, set.
              They set the rules. (Rules that fit their ultimate agenda).
              So your use of the word 'cheating' is one that you assigned to fit your own opinion of the contest.
              They also did not set the work ethic you are uncomfortable with.
              Your comment about the other contestants also shows your opinion of the caliber of the field of contestants.
              And you know what?
              That's OK!
              It's OK to have that kind of opinion.
              It really reminds me of the current electoral system we have in place.
              It, too, has turned into a popularity contest, where the quality of the past work done by a contestant means little.
              Where the voting rules get tweaked, or ignored, or where loopholes allow large blocks of illegitimate votes sway the outcome.
              But the best part of your post was the statement you were not going to let all that stop you from voting for the vehicle of your choice.
              You held your nose, went to work for your candidate, and voted (within the rules, mind you) of the candidate of your choice.
              THAT is commendable.
              How many people just turn their nose up at a good candidate, maybe because of his choice of engine, or wheels, or paint, and refuse to make the effort to go and vote for him?
              How many people don't vote for this candidate just because his Stude isn't stock?
              What do you get from that?
              You get a bondo'd up claptrap junker as the winner, that's what you get.
              You are spot on with your assessment, Bams.... Spot on.
              And the hundreds, or thousands, of readers of this forum that have chosen not to support a fellow Stude guy have shown their indifference.
              That's just my opinion....
              Jeff

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
              I think some of us get uncomfortable with these types of contests because they don't accurately gauge anything. It's not about what vehicle is the best, it's more about getting friends to cast votes, cheating wherever possible. How many are doing this at work when they're on the clock, on the company computer, when they're supposed to be working? And, we see people logging in under spouses' names to cheat around the rules? I mean, really- the current second place is a rough, unrestored Chevy truck that the owner doesn't even bother to work on? And also ahead of you are a rusty S-10 pickup with bondo smeared over paint, and even two who don't even show their vehicle? Really?

I of course voted for you- myself- within the rules. I hope you win. But I doubt your lack of votes has anything to do with your customization, it's more about the dishonest nature of these contests.
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Just realalized what this was, I voted,and will continue to do so.

Comment

I am not only looking for votes ,but still hunting a twinkie !I hear they are out again, but not found.
                  Randy Wilkin
                  1946 M5 Streetrod
                  Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

I am not only looking for votes ,but still hunting a twinkie !I hear they are out again, but not found.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Ahem...........................I can hook you up...................

Comment

How do I look the see the top few cars?

Comment

Go to entries, than click on random and it will bring up the choice of top rated, click on the top rated and it will list cars in order of votes. I am on page 2
                          Randy Wilkin
                          1946 M5 Streetrod
                          Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

I came, I saw, I voted (again). If you haven't go show your support.

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post

Speaking of integrity, a man of integrity will always choose to directly address someone they have a disagreement with where only a scoundrel will go about making passive-aggressive comments about them, especially when it's said within earshot and intended to be heard by the person they are talking about

To the thought that these contests are silly popularity contests and don't really prove anything, let me say this as delicately as I can: DUH.

Of course this is just a silly popularity contest. Winning the most votes doesn't mean you have the best car. Do I think Randy's got an awesome build, worthy of airtime on a national TV network? Most definitely! But there are certainly "better" builds entered in this contest that will never get a fraction of the votes he has now. There are also, as you astutely pointed out, a vast array of cars with more votes, that should shame the owners for bringing them out in daylight. The system is about getting as many votes as possible. In fact, they encourage the contestants to do just that. In exchange, the show gets some demographic info on the friends of the entrants. Everybody wins. That's how the game is played.

And that's truly what it is: a game. Just some childish entertainment. Not hardly something worth stirring up arguments over. Not something worth strutting around, flaunting how you take the high road and are all civilized while all of those uncouth barbarians commit the ghastly deed of casting a vote from their spouse's account. I mean, is it worth dragging other people into the mud, simply to make yourself look better, over a trivial game?

The biggest irony of all, the one that made me chuckle reading how civilized and upstanding you are for following the rules, is that voting with your spouse's account isn't against the rules. In fact, if you go through the official rules of the competition, something I did (does that make me all civilized and elite?) you will see that the voting has no bearing whatsoever on what car wins. In fact, the voting plays pretty much no role at all. The judges votes alone will decide the winner. Section 6 outlines the criteria for how the winner will be selected. Even in section 9, dealing with disqualification, the only person on the hook for most of that section is the entrant (i.e. Randy), and as he's acting in a sportsmanlike manner he's good to go. About the only part of that section that would allow someone other than him to get his entry disqualified would be if someone tried to tamper with the site on his behalf. But as long as you don't break the site, the people casting votes are pretty much free to do what they want. If I wanted to create 50 email accounts and register every one of them, guess what? I'm still not breaking the official rules.

In closing, I guess my point is that this is a game. Why are you getting bent out of shape, trying to drag other people down and make them look bad for cheating (when according to the rules, they're clear), just to make yourself look good? It seems a little petty to cause division and disharmony over something so petty as a game. The votes won't get Randy's truck on the show. They're just drawing the judges' attention to it, so he stands a better shot at getting on the show. So let's put the disharmony behind us, and team up for the common cause of getting another Studebaker in a spotlight it deserves being in. I don't really care whether or not you think you're better than I am (and in fact you may very well be; I'm nothing special). Just cast your vote, and I'll cast mine, and let's all get along.
                            Last edited by JimC; 07-29-2013, 10:36 PM. Reason: Noticed an error

Comment

FYI, my wife (who in fact has seen the truck and does in fact like it very much) has voted again. Happy number 138. And congrats on beating that beater Jeff pointed out on page one.

Also, as of right now, your truck is number one when the vehicles are sorted by how hot they are. (How much attention they're getting). Congrats!

Comment

well said, Jim!

first, it's a Studebaker, yeah modified - so what? this can bring attention to our beloved Studebakers to a national TV audience as "Sdude" Jon was able to do not long ago on "My Classic Car". and as others have, with parts or auctions "as seen on TV"...

the story about the build is inspiring to me.

i hope that some folks in his area can help him to create a video to help "spread the Studebaker news", if needed!
                                Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                                X