Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lark VIII let Lark VIII girl down, and Lark VIII girl is sad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark VIII let Lark VIII girl down, and Lark VIII girl is sad.

On the way back from breakfast the Lark VIII made really bad low end engine noises and I parked it at the side of the road. We called a neighor to take us home. Very soon afterward a Studebaker Avanti owner stopped to offer help. We have a trailer to transport the car.
    The Lark is now home and in need of a skilled professional engine rebuilder.
    Who do you reccomend?

Lark VIII girl.

The most important thing to do is determine what has gone wrong and what it will take to fix it. Many folks make a quick and inaccurate diagnosis then charge off in a direction that ultimately leads to more work that may have not been needed.

The bottom end of a Studebaker V-8 is pretty strong.

Can please you tell us a more complete story about what happened, how and when it happened, what lead up to it, and why you think the engine needs to be rebuilt?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Not to worry Lark8Girl, there should be many Club Members in and near Indiana to help or direct you to those who can.
      Heads up and eyes on the ball and all that! It makes me sad to hear of sad Stude. owners.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Check with Scott Stastny at DeLuxe Auto Werks in West Chicago IL.

If Scott doesn't do rebuilds, he will know who to recommend. He's a good guy all around. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lark8girl View Post
          On the way back from breakfast the Lark VIII made really bad low end engine noises and I parked it at the side of the road. We called a neighor to take us home. Very soon afterward a Studebaker Avanti owner stopped to offer help. We have a trailer to transport the car.
          The Lark is now home and in need of a skilled professional engine rebuilder.
          Who do you reccomend?
          Lark VIII girl.
          You know...when you can type a sentence that contains those words while telling your story...ya gotta know that you are not living a "speed of life" faster than your guardian angel can fly!

On any given day...what are the chances of this happening?
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

If Lark VIII is an auto, maybe it broke the flex plate.

Comment

Broken engine or no, You Lark convertible sure looks like a beautiful car! Good luck

Comment

We took the car to the Chevrolet dealership that Lark VIII girl is employed at. The 259 is now apart and it was found to have a CRACKED CRANKSHAFT. None of the mechanics at the dealership had ever seen one that cracked. A trip to Studebaker International and we have everything we need to make the repair. Several mechanics and the parts manager were so impressed to see a NOS Studebaker crankshaft in the orginal box!!! While the engine is out we took the auto transmission out to be rebuilt.
                Presently the car is back home on my lift where I am cleaning and doing some painting of the engine compartment.

Husband of Lark VIII girl

Comment

Saw one break on a 60 259 years ago. The torque converter was ran loose.

Comment

Had a crank break on a 345 International once, pulled over by Texarkana for the night and when I shut the engine off I heard a distinct crack. 24 hours later on the other side of Texas it broke. Just cruising along at highway speed or slower the whole time.

Comment

Those are tough cranks! Did you check to see if it is still under warranty?

Comment

Wow, that's too bad. How many miles were on it? I've never heard of a crankshaft just cracking like that. I would think something else would break first...
                        sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                        Regal Deluxe Trim
                        Automatic transmission
                        46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

I've known of several 289 cranks that have broken. One (in a '58 Packard hardtop) kept serving while broken in half! Didn't run well, but kept taking it's owner to school and back for some months.
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Good to hear you found the cause. July 4th I had a sudden loss of power, missing, sputtering and backfiring (enough to blow out two brand new mufflers)with my 76 Avanti(400 motor) in Colorado Springs 9.5 miles after a fill up. After two flatbed tows to two different shops, replacement of MSD distributor cap, rotor, plug wires and plugs, the mechanics declare it is running like a "scalded dog". The mufflers have not been replaced as Midas does not have the same muffler available in Colorado Springs that I had gotten the week before in Chicago. I'm scratching my head as to how all this happened after having a totally trouble free 1100 mile trip from Chicago and no problems in CO during the first four days we were there. 9 1/2 miles after a Shell gas 87 octane (not the E-85 so prevalent in CO) fill up, troubles began. People I knew that filled up at the same time had no issues. Mechanics found spark plug wires shorting out under load, as well as 3 plugs failing. With 12,000 miles on the wires and plugs, their thought was that heat from ignition wire enclosures and headers causing the wires to fail. The car is now waiting for a transport ride back home as I'm not up for 1100 miles without mufflers.
                            sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

I have 3 paperweights at home.
                              One is a V-8 rod journal from a friend's '58 President hardtop, (it did NOT keep running) with portions of both rough sides broken just above the machined journal.
                              The second is a busted spindle (the threads, castle nut with cotter, and about half way up the tapered portion) from my GT.
                              The third is the busted impeller shaft from the waterpump on my '41 Commander.
                              The last 2 show about half new break and half old break before finally failing.

Comment

Working...
                              X