1964 Daytona Tire Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Daytona Tire Questions

I recently bought a 1964 Daytona convertible. Currently, the car is equipped with "Dean Galaxie GT" steel-belted blackwall radials in size P205/75R15. The tires are mounted on "Enkei" mag wheels. The tires look to be in nearly new condition with lots of tread remaining. The mags are also in good condition but with some "curbing" scuffs here and there. I want to go to a more traditional look for the car. I have a set of original wheel covers that came with the car. My hope is to offset the cost of new steel wheels and whitewall tires by selling the configuration that came with the car. My question is as follows......what would be a reasonable price to expect for the four Dean tires mounted on the Enkei mags? I really have no idea what they might be worth and was hoping forum participants could provide some insight. Not looking to get rich here, just want a fair price. Any ideas?
    David Daoust
    Stratham, NH
    '64 Daytona convertible

David: I'll not hazard a guess as to asking or final selling price, but shipping will be a big deal and a significant cost in the transaction, due to the size and weight of those things.

It might be an idea to take one of the tires/wheels to a UPS or FedEx Ground location and ask them how much to ship it to a ficticious adress, say, in southern California (make something up). Then, when others have weighed in as to asking price, you could add the cost of shipping and quote a delivered price per tire/wheel, times four.

Otherwise, if you settle on a price and someone accepts it, you could wind up spending half the proceeds on shipping and wish you had thought to address that ahead of time. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I was thinking I'd just sell them locally on Craigslist or something like that. I don't really want to get involved with shipping them anywhere. I just have no idea what to list them for.....
      David Daoust
      Stratham, NH
      '64 Daytona convertible

Comment

Value of the tires might be impacted by age. Even though the tread is deep, and the tires look good, if they are several years old they might not be suitable for road trips.

Each tire has a date code, I would factor that into the equation if I were buying or selling used tires.

sigpic
        Dave Lester

Comment

I agree with what Dave L. said and to add to that, if the date code is three digits, instead of four, then the tires are pre-2000 and should not be used on a driver.
          I agree that the wheels/tires are a hard thing to consider shipping. Many ads on CraigsList and eBay say local pick up only. This works for C/L, but not for eBay. I would price them at $275 and take $250 for the four.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

OK.....next question. I bought a new set of P205/75R15 tires today. Where do I get ordinary (which I'm assuming is what they used in 1964) steel rims to mount the tires on - keeping in mind I want to re-use the original wheel cover I got with the car? Is there a specific type of rim I need to use?
            David Daoust
            Stratham, NH
            '64 Daytona convertible

Comment

Originally posted by David Daoust View Post
              OK.....next question. I bought a new set of P205/75R15 tires today. Where do I get ordinary (which I'm assuming is what they used in 1964) steel rims to mount the tires on - keeping in mind I want to re-use the original wheel cover I got with the car? Is there a specific type of rim I need to use?
              The simple answer is rear wheel drive Chrysler products (c. 1980s) with 15 inch rims/wheels. If you use the search function you will find much discussion and answers to your question.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

If the car has disc brakes, they have specific disc brake wheels (if you use Studebaker wheels). The newer Ford of Chrysler wheels should clear the discs.
                Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.
                  David Daoust
                  Stratham, NH
                  '64 Daytona convertible

Comment

I have a 64 Daytona with drum brakes and run the Ford 15 x 6 wheels and 215 tires. Its as big as you want to go or you will rub inside at full turn either direction. I checked the back space before I bought the wheels and found it to be 3.5 inches if I remember correctly. These wheels are used on Crown Victorias in this part of the world and find their way to the grave yard quite regularly now. These wheels seem to be the substitution of choice among my fellow chapter members.
                    Bob
                    Bob
                    Welland Ontario
                    60 Lark Convertible
                    64 Daytona
                    sigpic
                    "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

If you use Ford wheels rather than Chrysler wheels, be sure to also use the larger diameter lug nuts.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                      X