No announcement yet.

Avanti Steering Wheel ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That turquoise dash is PURRRRRRFECT. Wow. Simply gorgeous.
    sals54

Comment

LOL! Sal is one of JDP's customers still driving his Avanti around with a Vice Grips for a Steering Wheel?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

No, I wouldn't do that... But that Avanti does have a broken down and cracked Lark wheel, though. I never heard any complaints.
        Really, I just bought this one. Got a good deal on it, but can't use it. So, off it goes.
        sals54

Comment

Sal, I might be interested. I'll send you a PM.
          Dave Nevin
          Corvallis, OR
          1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
          Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

I'm still looking for a fawn wheel...(I'll have to get mine rebuilt if I can't find one).
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

My guess is that it is an early Avanti II wheel either without the "Studebaker" covering or with a replaced center.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                My guess is that it is an early Avanti II wheel either without the "Studebaker" covering or with a replaced center.
                Maybe Gary,....But Avanti II #87 is on e-bay right now........and it has a woodgrained, '64 type steering wheel.

Comment

I think Avanti Motors was simply installing whatever steering wheel that was next in the parts bin. When I replaced the steering wheel in my '70 Avanti, I sold the wood grain unit to someone whose Avanti II was equipped with a fawn steering wheel and a brown steering column.

Items like tapered axles were still being installed on some '70s era Avanti II's when most had been equipped with flanged axles. Things like that make me believe whatever was available in the parts supply was used unless there was specific instructions otherwise.
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
                  X