Avanti Steering Wheel ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Steering Wheel ID

I have an Avanti steering wheel which I plan to sell. I simply don't remember ever seeing one quite like it. Is this one a 64 model? I have not come across too many 64s in all my car swapping years. Anyway, here are the pictures. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by sals54; 06-20-2013, 02:54 PM.
    sals54

64,or newer I beleive.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I'd guess late 63...any car with the wood dash. Also, some early Avanti IIs...some period magazines show it, others have the regular fawn wheels.
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
        I have an Avanti steering wheel which I plan to sell. I simply don't remember ever seeing one quite like it. Is this one a 64 model? I have not come across too many 64s in all my car swapping years. Anyway, here are the pictures. Thanks for your help.

If it's woodgrain 1964, if just dark brown, early Avanti II. Either way, north of $500, maybe way north.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Those were quick answers. Thanks. I can presume then, that with the Studebaker name on the center cap, that it is indeed for a 64 ? Did the Avanti II cars still have Studebaker on that cap?
          sals54

Comment

JP, How the heck are you? I've missed our associations greatly. We did some fantastic car flips in our day, eh?
            And, by the way, its brown, not wood grain. And if anyone offered $500, I would jump very high in delight and accept. Till then....
            Last edited by sals54; 06-20-2013, 03:06 PM.
            sals54

Comment

Avanti Motors had a circular wood grain decal made and installed it over the "Studebaker Corporation" on the center cap.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

JP, How the heck are you? I've missed our associations greatly. We did some fantastic car flips in our day, eh?
                And, by the way, its brown, not wood grain. And if anyone offered $500, I would jump very high in delight and accept. Till then....
                I understand what You're asking here....and I've seen other Avanti steering wheels like this and wondered about them also! Basically, if it were a '63 wheel, it would be the 'Fawn' color.....If it were a '64 wheel, it should have a definite 'woodgrain' pattern. But there was also a third style....solid brown like this one. I've always thought these were late '63, or very early (maybe transition model) '64...but I'm really just guessing here.

Comment

I posted a couple of photos of an Avanti with a simulated woodgrain wheel here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=calgary

Craig

Comment

"I posted a couple of photos of an Avanti with a simulated woodgrain wheel here:"

I hope you don't mind, but I've absconded your photo and placed it here for comparison.

I do have a question about your wood grained wheel. Is that the original fawn colored wheel, or is it one of the later ones? You see, mine does not have the "thumb groove" that I remember on the early wheels, but is a bit more rubust, as in, a little thicker.
                    Last edited by sals54; 06-20-2013, 06:36 PM.
                    sals54

Comment

Let me know if you want to come out of the flip retirement, I have cash, but no time.
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

I'm in the process of clearing out a couple of projects. One of them being... building our house. Hoping to have these things done by end of Summer, or very early Fall at the latest. Then, let's go shopping.
                        sals54

Comment

My 1964

Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                          Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

I'm in the process of clearing out a couple of projects. One of them being... building our house. Hoping to have these things done by end of Summer, or very early Fall at the latest. Then, let's go shopping.

Great, I'll bank some cash.
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by Silverplate View Post
                              My 1964

This is the high point of Studebaker Avanti dashboards! (In My opinion)

Comment

Working...
                              X