Production Order Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ed,
    Best place to look is take the two screws out that hold the cowl plate to the firewall. Most paint shops did not remove the plate to paint a car.
    Dan

Comment

Originally posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
      Ed,
      Best place to look is take the two screws out that hold the cowl plate to the firewall. Most paint shops did not remove the plate to paint a car.
      Dan
      Dan,
      Thanks. That is a good idea.
      I am wondering if I should go back to the museum and ask them to send me a corrected copy of the PO so I don't have to explain to everyone I show it to that there is a typo in it.

Richard,
      The color chart did not translate well over the internet. All of the colors came out muddy and dark. Since you say the color of my car is okay I will not stress out over it. For the amount of money they charge for these POs I expected more information, but I am happy I got enough to know when the car was built and that the numbers match.

Update: I sent an e-mail to the Studebaker National Museum about the typo and they immediately replied that they will send me a corrected copy as soon as possible. Now that is service.
      Last edited by Commander Eddie; 06-21-2013, 09:47 AM. Reason: Typos - sheeesh.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
        Okay. All of this was most helpful. The car does have the Climatizer heater and defrost. It does NOT have a clock or radio. The car was repainted and I was told it was a very close match to the original color so Aqua sounds right. Here is picture of the car for reference:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24825[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]24827[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]24826[/ATTACH]
        Nice car, Ed! If you don't mind my asking though -- Is there something wrong with your ash tray? The contour doesn't seem to be lining up with the rest of the dash chrome...

Also, that paint chip list is interesting -- I don't think anyone on here has posted a pic of a 50 in "black cherry". I'd love to see what the color looks like on the car...
        Last edited by deco_droid; 06-21-2013, 01:29 PM.
        sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
        Regal Deluxe Trim
        Automatic transmission
        46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Deco_droid,
          That is all the farther it goes in. I thought that was the way the ashtray was supposed to fit so I have never checked to see if there was something blocking it. I will check it now since you have pointed it out.
          These pictures were taken almost 3 years ago and I have done some work including re-attaching that defroster hose. I have replaced the steering wheel and horn button, and lots of other mechanical and cosmetic items.
          Have you ordered the PO for your car? I would be curious to know if yours had more information on it than mine did.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

This is a side bar to the question. . . I ordered my production order and it had the following on it. . .

60A DL FL Heater

Does anyone have a specific idea of what that is. . .I cant find it in shop manuals, or parts list. . .is it a typo also?

Thanks for helping. . .attached is the production order also. .

Click image for larger version

Name:	Prodection Order for GT Hawk.a.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1680411
            REPUTATION CHANGES--CHARACTER GROWS--INTEGRITY LEADS

THINK right--TALK right--WALK right--Its that SIMPLE!

Ernest E. Brown http://twitter.com/umpireeebrown
            The church at the Christian Center, Arab, Alabama
            www.thechristiancenter.us
            https://www.facebook.com/Sistah-Luci...3554643351002/

Comment

Originally posted by erniebrown View Post
              This is a side bar to the question. . . I ordered my production order and it had the following on it. . .

60A DL FL Heater

Does anyone have a specific idea of what that is. . .I cant find it in shop manuals, or parts list. . .is it a typo also?

Thanks for helping. . .attached is the production order also. .

[
              I do not have anything here to look it up in, but I think that is the deluxe heater in the floor. Does your car have heater cores under both sides of the front seat or just the passenger side?
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I do not see a Climitizer listed, does the '62 GT in question have one Dealer Installed? That does seem odd to have the Auxiliary Left Hand Heater but no Main Heat and Defrost.

I guess the answer COULD be it went to the SB Storage Lot 35 and was not Dealer ordered or sold, so it would be built somewhat generic, even though it is fairly well loaded.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                  Deco_droid,
                  That is all the farther it goes in. I thought that was the way the ashtray was supposed to fit so I have never checked to see if there was something blocking it. I will check it now since you have pointed it out.
                  These pictures were taken almost 3 years ago and I have done some work including re-attaching that defroster hose. I have replaced the steering wheel and horn button, and lots of other mechanical and cosmetic items.
                  Have you ordered the PO for your car? I would be curious to know if yours had more information on it than mine did.
                  Okay, I can't picture in my head how the tray and chrome facing screw together, but it seems like something on yours isn't right because I know the chrome pieces should be lining up the same. I pulled all my chrome off to clean and polish recently, or I probably wouldn't have noticed. Oh, and I haven't ordered a PO. The car came with the original owner's manual where the dealer and first owner had listed some info concerning where it was sold, oil change mileage, etc. I guess I just wasn't all that curious as to what particular day my car was built, etc.
                  sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                  Regal Deluxe Trim
                  Automatic transmission
                  46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

It looks to me like the Stainless or Chrome face plate on the Ash Tray has been installed onto the ash tray upside down, because the top and bottom curvatures do not seem to match that of the Dash panels.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

yeah, that ash tray front is upside down.

i just checked the one in my '51 (same location) and it has 2 rivets on the bottom of the the tray where the front is attached. you might want to see if someone replaced the rivets with screws. that's if the '50 & '51 are basically the same...
                      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        I do not have anything here to look it up in, but I think that is the deluxe heater in the floor. Does your car have heater cores under both sides of the front seat or just the passenger side?

That must be it because there is a heater core under each seat. . . Richard Quinn actually got me going on this as he said he had not seen one before. . I will fire the answer over to him. . huge thanks. . . this forum and the Studie peeps are the best. . .
                        REPUTATION CHANGES--CHARACTER GROWS--INTEGRITY LEADS

THINK right--TALK right--WALK right--Its that SIMPLE!

Ernest E. Brown http://twitter.com/umpireeebrown
                        The church at the Christian Center, Arab, Alabama
                        www.thechristiancenter.us
                        https://www.facebook.com/Sistah-Luci...3554643351002/

Comment

Originally posted by erniebrown View Post
                          That must be it because there is a heater core under each seat. . . Richard Quinn actually got me going on this as he said he had not seen one before. . I will fire the answer over to him. . huge thanks. . . this forum and the Studie peeps are the best. . .
                          Dual (both sides/seats) heaters/cores in Hawks was fairly common here (Hudson Valley, NY). They distribute the heat better in the cabin and make plenty of it.
                          I would think that it would have been a common option in IL where Richard is.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I've never owned a Stude with the twin heater core option, but as a normal single system in good working order will 'drive you right out of the car', I can only imagine how much heat a dual system would produce!

Comment

The build sheet for my '53 coupe says it went to Redwood Falls, MONT. There ain't such a town (not even on a 1955 map). I purchased the car in 1963 in Tracy Minnesota about 25 miles from Redwood Falls, Minnesota. So I assume it was sent there. I even looked on the actual Microfiche when it was still at Newman Altman and clear as day it says MONT. Since Baker Bros Motors (in Redwood Falls, MN) was a prolific dealer in the area, I just go with that.

Comment

Working...
                              X