X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the 1950 Desert Explorer.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

And here's one of my 1953 prototype just because.
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Is that how you store her Chris? Not that much more could go wrong but still, I would invest in a cheapie harbor freight car port and maybe set it on ply wood on blocks.

Comment

Well it's not as though Studebaker built these cars from dirt and snowcones! Having em outdoors won't kill them, I think that's where Studebaker thought most people were going to use them when they constructed the vehicles, as long as the parts aren't buried in the ground someplace! Besides, much like my projects, somewhere along the way I'm presuming a welder is going to be used to replace the old metal with new metal, so the projects will get moved around!
          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Chris, that's exactly the car I'm talking about. And A/C too? Is it really too far gone? It seems too important to let rot.

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
              Is that how you store her Chris? Not that much more could go wrong but still, I would invest in a cheapie harbor freight car port and maybe set it on ply wood on blocks.
              Not exactly, that photo is probably about a year and a half old. Since that time I put all the front end sheet metal in a semi trailer and the rest of it is going into a reinforced storage container when it gets here in the next few weeks. Until then it's been covered with a tarp.
              The Turtle and the Model N all stay inside. It's just that the Model N is literally in the house, the Turtle is in a trailer.
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Lark1959 View Post
                Chris, that's exactly the car I'm talking about. And A/C too? Is it really too far gone? It seems too important to let rot.
                Yes, that car has experimental AC in it that never went into production. It has air ducts on the rear fenders that went into some kind of cooling cell and then had hose lines that let cool air into the interior through vents on the rear shelf in the back seat. See the funny looking bump on the rear fender? That's one of the vents, and I have both of them. Here they are:

That car is in rough shape, but like anything something probably could be done with it if somebody had enough ambition.

There are other odd '53 type cars out there. One body has no welds on it; instead it was assembled using nothing but sheet metal screws. There is also a crude attempt at building a '53 with a curved windshield, but the "windshield" is a piece of curved sheet metal.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

We need to start a "restoration fund" for Chris and his many stolen... AHEM... salvaged items from the graveyard! Is grave robbing legal in Indiana?

Comment

That car really sticks with me. that and the turquoise Starlight coupe. It looks way too far gone though. The sedan, maybe if it was braced right, might survive yhe trip out of the woods.

Comment

Wonder if the A/C system is still in the trunk?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                        Not exactly, that photo is probably about a year and a half old. Since that time I put all the front end sheet metal in a semi trailer and the rest of it is going into a reinforced storage container when it gets here in the next few weeks. Until then it's been covered with a tarp.
                        The Turtle and the Model N all stay inside. It's just that the Model N is literally in the house, the Turtle is in a trailer.
                        Well that's a whole lot better. It's a prototype for what may be the most iconic Studebaker ever, so it deserves the best it can get. It may look too far gone but I've seen less important cars in worse shape get restored so it can be done. It'll probably never be as it was again but with a 52 and a 53 parts car I think you can save her, not like you don't have time.
                        You ever find any factory photos of that thing when it was alive?

Comment

Originally posted by Lark1959 View Post
                          Wonder if the A/C system is still in the trunk?
                          Maybe if you got all the A/C specific items. you could at least make another A/C car.

Comment

Im thinking its posdible MAYBE to pull it out of there. The trunk A/C unit may have been a Frigidaire unit like other mskers used. If not you could probably substitute. This soyld be a difficult but really rewarding project. Are there any factory documents on this car?

Comment

Here's a little better shot of the side of the '53 AC car. I'm trying to see if I have a better shot of the side or interior of this one. If I remember right, the "guts" of the AC system were pretty much gone.
                              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Bingo! I will give it this much, that car is still probably one of the most solid still out there.
                                Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                                X