More on the Coupe Express

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More on the Coupe Express

<center>NOTE THE STUDEBAKER NAME ON THE TAIL GATE IS A DECAL. STUDEBAKER DID NOT HAVE THE NAME ON THE TAILGATE ON ANY OF THE COUPE EXPRESSES</center>Antique Studebaker Review and one all inclusive article for the magazine Collectible Automobile. If anyone would like specific information feel free to contact me.

R. Quinn
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Great to see the pics.The sheetmetal for my '39 is in a body shop now and I have a spare front end off a '39 Commander.I can go either route as far as the sidemount and the clean look is a option.I am also thinking of trying to build a sidemount pocket that would lower the tire closer to the look of a '37.
    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Great to see the pics.The sheetmetal for my '39 is in a body shop now and I have a spare front end off a '39 Commander.I can go either route as far as the sidemount and the clean look is a option.I am also thinking of trying to build a sidemount pocket that would lower the tire closer to the look of a '37.
      Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Beautiful Trucks!

Leonard Shepherd
        http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Beautiful Trucks!

Leonard Shepherd
          http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Bob,
            What you will need to look out for is the size of the front tire you are going to run, and the ride height you are going to run. Too low a ride height and you will hit the 'stock' pocket with the tire.
            You just need to imagineer it a bit first....
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bob40

Deep-N-Hock Acres
            Brooklet, Georgia
            DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
            '37 Coupe Express
            '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
            '61 Hawk (project: Ist Gen Owner - project)
            Mysterious Project Z
            http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Bob,
              What you will need to look out for is the size of the front tire you are going to run, and the ride height you are going to run. Too low a ride height and you will hit the 'stock' pocket with the tire.
              You just need to imagineer it a bit first....
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bob40

Deep-N-Hock Acres
              Brooklet, Georgia
              DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
              '37 Coupe Express
              '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
              '61 Hawk (project: Ist Gen Owner - project)
              Mysterious Project Z
              http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Wow, thanks so much for all the CE info and the stunning pictures. I know very little about prewar Studebaker's, even less about the CE's. Any info on the bed cap on one of my 39's ? i.e. is it a factory option, period accessory or what. Thanks again, Dick.

JDP/Maryland
                64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                64 GT R2
                63 Lark 2 door
                58 Scotsman
                52 & 53 Starliner
                51 Commander
                39 Coupe express
                39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Wow, thanks so much for all the CE info and the stunning pictures. I know very little about prewar Studebaker's, even less about the CE's. Any info on the bed cap on one of my 39's ? i.e. is it a factory option, period accessory or what. Thanks again, Dick.

JDP/Maryland
                  64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                  64 GT R2
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  58 Scotsman
                  52 & 53 Starliner
                  51 Commander
                  39 Coupe express
                  39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Richard, those are truly gorgeous! Thanks for sharing this info. Maybe it's time for a CE issue of TW?!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                    '63 F2/Lark Standard
                    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                    www.studebakersandiego.com
                    Clark in San Diego
                    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"

Comment

Richard, those are truly gorgeous! Thanks for sharing this info. Maybe it's time for a CE issue of TW?!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                      '63 F2/Lark Standard
                      www.studebakersandiego.com
                      Clark in San Diego
                      '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"

Comment

John;

That metal bed cover was not a Studebaker option. The period photo posted by lstude under the previous title "Coupe Express #2" showing Harry Keller with his '38 looks similar to the one you have. Mr. Keller resided in South Pasadena, Calif so I suspect it was built by a local truck body builder. Maybe the same one who made yours? Mr. Keller's truck was sold through A. W. Marcy Inc. of Pasadena, CA. It was also equipped with the following: Overdrive transmission with the vacuum shifter, mohair upholstery, fog lights, back up lights, radio, spotlight, rear view mirrors and bumper guards. He was a traveling salesman selling children's dress goods to stores in the western states. He was only about 5' 5" tall so he fit into the cab without problem. At 6' 2" I have a little more problem!

Studebaker did offer a canvas "caravan" cover as an option. It was made by Industrial Canvas Products of South Bend. Below a flyer they provided.

Good luck with the truck.

R. Quinn
                        Richard Quinn

Comment

John;

That metal bed cover was not a Studebaker option. The period photo posted by lstude under the previous title "Coupe Express #2" showing Harry Keller with his '38 looks similar to the one you have. Mr. Keller resided in South Pasadena, Calif so I suspect it was built by a local truck body builder. Maybe the same one who made yours? Mr. Keller's truck was sold through A. W. Marcy Inc. of Pasadena, CA. It was also equipped with the following: Overdrive transmission with the vacuum shifter, mohair upholstery, fog lights, back up lights, radio, spotlight, rear view mirrors and bumper guards. He was a traveling salesman selling children's dress goods to stores in the western states. He was only about 5' 5" tall so he fit into the cab without problem. At 6' 2" I have a little more problem!

Studebaker did offer a canvas "caravan" cover as an option. It was made by Industrial Canvas Products of South Bend. Below a flyer they provided.

Good luck with the truck.

R. Quinn
                          Richard Quinn

Comment

Richard - I wonder if that '38 pictured in the Caravan ad is really a right hand drive truck with the spare on the left or is it just a flipped picture.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Richard - I wonder if that '38 pictured in the Caravan ad is really a right hand drive truck with the spare on the left or is it just a flipped picture.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X