Working on the '42 again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on the '42 again...

I got to go back to work again on the '42 the last few days. I had to fix a place on the inner fender for clearance of the alternator. I worked on the rust area above the headlight, it's not finished yet, but I ran out of gas for the welder. By the pictures you can see what I have done. There was a little bit of rust showing, but when I started stripping the paint off, it had been covered up with lead, and was quite a bit bigger than I thought. I hope to get back to welding on it in the next day or two, and have more pictures as I go. As soon as I can get all the welding done on all the body, I have an offer from a body shop and my son Brian, to help me finish the body work. Which is a little while to go, I still have some welding to do. I'm sorry there hasn't been many updates, but sometimes there are other things going on, and I haven't been able to work on it. For the past couple of months I've been working on my '58 pickup. I had the motor and transmission out of it, just to do a reseal on the motor and put new valve springs in it. And I put another transmission in it, got it from Brian. I will post more as I progress. Dusty
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dusty taylor; 08-22-2016, 09:51 PM.

Dusty Taylor

Good to see you getting back it again Dusty
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by dusty taylor View Post
      ... but sometimes there are other things going on, ...
      Know all too well how that goes!
      Looks like you are leaving no issue improperly repaired.
      Post progress as it happens and don't feel neglectful if more important things take precedence.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Years ago, I was faced with some similar repair work. I visited several body shops to get quotes. The quotes were crazy high. I observed the quality of the work being done in the shops and thought, "how hard could that be?"

I bought myself a welder and it didn't take long to find out "how hard it is!"

I completed the job and have done other work since, but now...I have lots of respect for those who tackle such tasks. Keep up the good work.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Here's some more pictures of the '42 of the inner fender and different things I've done. The first pictures are the inner fender for alternator clearance. The next pictures are the inside of the trunk where it was rusted out. The next picture is of one of the tail lights where I've started putting it on. The next 2 pictures is of the drip rails above the doors, that I welded in and made smooth. The rest of the pictures are things that I have questions about. At the bottom of the A pillar on each side , it looks like the factory had took a hammer and beat them in, and filled with lead. Was this normal on this year of car? One of the other pictures is the center of the cowl, there was a groove stamped in the cowl, don't know if this served a purpose or if this was the way they stamped them. Because, it was completely full of lead also. Hope you enjoy the pictures. Dusty.
          Attached Files

Dusty Taylor

Comment

Glad to see the progress, Dusty! And also glad to hear you're keeping the '58 taken care of, too. It never ends, huh?
            ~Matt Connor
            '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Yes, never ends, but I did get the headlight area finished today. I started on an area below the grill that had rusted out also. When are you going to have yours back on the road? Dusty

Dusty Taylor

Comment

Progress! That will been one nice ride when it's finally done.
                sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Don't you just love finding surprises!

All in all forward progress is being made and no shame in getting a helping hand.
                  With completion as the goal; and you feel the shops work is up to your standards, the 42 will be done in no time.
                  Keep at it.
                  Forums cheering for you.

Any updates on your Grand daughters Lark?
                  61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

The shop that I'm talking about, Brian works there, and yes, they do good work. Brian wouldn't let it be not correct. As far as Madison's car, I've done some work to the gas tank, hope to get it in next week some time. But, you never know. Projects and time, sometimes there are too many projects and not enough time.
                    I like the progress you've made on your car. I'll be glad when it's finished to see it. But, it's looking really good.
                    Dusty

Dusty Taylor

Comment

Here is some pictures of the front bumper. There is more work to do on it. There is duct tape on the bottom of the grill.
                      Dusty
                      Attached Files

Dusty Taylor

Comment

They would have sold more 42's if only they had advertised they had disc brakes on the front like one can see in the picture.
                        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                        1961 Hawk 4-speed
                        1967 Avanti
                        1961 Lark 2 door
                        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Milt, the center grill bar is the one i got from you in Colorado Springs. And to go along with the disc brakes if they would have put a 289 Studebaker and 4 speed they would have sold a whole lot more. I hope everybody likes the look of the bumper on the front, as it was cut into 6 seperate pieces and welded back together. And now I'm making the rest of the bumper brackets, when I finish the welding on the bumper. Then it will be to move on to a few more spots on the body, such as tail lights, front A pillars at the bottom, both are rusty, have to fix. Passenger side rear fender where it bolts on, more work to do. Just takes a lot of time. Thanks Dusty
                          Attached Files

Dusty Taylor

Comment

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

An incredible amount of work has been put into this '42 by Dusty so far and lots more to do. They invited us to stop by last week and I got to see it. Very nice work so far on a body with so much rust that a potential restorer would have backed away from it in a New York minute.
                              Frank van Doorn
                              Omaha, Ne.
                              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Working...
                              X