Father's Day ~ It is OK to let someone touch your Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
    After going back through and re-reading some of the posts on this thread it suddenly dawned on me that, perhaps a good way to get young people (or older for that matter) interested in Studebakers is to let them have the experience of sitting in them. Let them touch. Perhaps we are too finicky about our rides. They are steel after-all. They aren't likely to hurt them. The little girl in the pictures above probably has a deeper appreciation for this car because she experienced in a way most people don't (except for those of us who wash them now and then).
    Eddie, I try to make it a regular practice to invite kids, and even adults, to sit in my car for a picture, or just for fun. I actually have modified one of those "Please Do Not Touch My Classic Car" signs to say "Please Gently Touch My Classic Car." I also make it a point to remind folks to always ask before doing so. The enjoyment I get from the smiling faces of both the kids and their parents far exceeds that of a trophy. It's always my hope that I have helped foster some other person's old car hobby affliction.
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

This photo must be shared

This couple photos with that {little girl and car} are so deserving of a cover shot in an upcoming issue of Turning Wheels or a club promotional poster no less and if it never happens within the next few months I just plain can't stand it. I would have waited in line all day long for her to have the opportunity to run her hands all over my car. What a photo okc. I am touched and jealous it's your car and not mine. Made my day and yesterdays too.. I ain't LION. Please someone within the powers that be recognize this photo. cheers jimmijim
      Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
      For Father's Day I drove my 1951 Champion to church. Many of us sometimes are picky about letting others touch our vehicles, especially young children, but sometimes we need to make an exception. Today this precious little girl, named Hailey, who is blind was allowed to touch all over my car. She was completely amazed and kept exclaiming "What in the World is this?" She was amazed by the headlights and the fuselage shape below them, by the bullet nose grill and especially by the airplane shaped hood ornament.

We often don't realize how precious the gift of sight is. She touched my heart and gave this old father and now a grandfather the best gift anyone could have for Father's Day. Happy Father's Day guys.

sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

At a meet last summer,I was parked beside a anal owner who never leaves his car unguarded; a 4-5 yr old boy touched his precious car so he could see inside.

The owner just about bit his head off ! I told him if he didn't want people to look at his car why does he put it on display or bring it out for that matter ?

Needless to say we had a heated discussion about said auto.These type of people are JERKS as far as I am concerned & should stay away from public displays,after all it's just a car.

& if no damage or pecieved damage occures what's the harm,I open door to allow a sit in the drives seat can happen & photo's can be taken.

Just my opinion
        Last edited by kmul221; 06-18-2013, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
          This couple photos with that {little girl and car} are so deserving of a cover shot in an upcoming issue of Turning Wheels or a club promotional poster no less and if it never happens within the next few months I just plain can't stand it. I would have waited in line all day long for her to have the opportunity to run her hands all over my car. What a photo okc. I am touched and jealous it's your car and not mine. Made my day and yesterdays too.. I ain't LION. Please someone within the powers that be recognize this photo. cheers jimmijim
          Jimmijim,
          Sometimes I have a little trouble understanding what you are getting at, but this time you are right on. The photo of Hailey "looking at" the car is wonderful. It would be great on the cover of TW.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by kmul221 View Post
            At a meet last summer,I was parked beside a anal owner who never leaves his car unguarded; a 4-5 yr old boy touched his precious car so he could see inside.

The owner just about bit his head off ! I told him if he didn't want people to look at his car why does he put it on display or bring it out for that matter ?

Needless to say we had a heated discussion about said auto.These type of people are JERKS as far as I am concerned & should stay away from public displays,after all it's just a car.

& if no damage or pecieved damage occures what's the harm,I open door to allow a sit in the drives seat can happen & photo's can be taken.

Just my opinion
            I hear you. If you really don't want people to touch the car, get some of those velvet rope dividers like they have in theaters and museums. It might make you look a hair full of yourself, but it will keep people away from the car. I've tried teaching my son that our car is the only one he can touch at a car show, but he's a curious three year old who is very excited about cars, and from time to time he'll rum up to a car and touch a bumper or door handle before he can stop himself. So far nobody's snapped at him for it, but when the day comes, I'm sure I'll politely point out to the owner that I let kids sit in my car if they want, and from there a lively discussion will almost certainly take place!
            '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

What a little angel!

Comment

I shared one of your shots on Fbook, John. Hope you don't mind. Very moving. Well done.
                Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I have encountered people who were anal about their cars through the years. They are such a bad plug for the rest of us. Thank Heaven most of us are of a sane nature.

Comment

Working...
                  X