Gorgeous S/P-Related Cars @ Sensuous Steel Expo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gorgeous S/P-Related Cars @ Sensuous Steel Expo

The Nashville TN Frist Center for The Arts opened their glamorous Sensuous Steel: Art-Deco Automobiles exhibit Friday, June 14, 2013. Wife-unit Cari and I drove down to attend the opening. The exhibit runs through Sunday, September 15.

This is an incredibly fancy collection of maybe 15 exotics rarely seen by the public, much less in one place:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Frist Center is the former Nashville TN Main Post office, built in 1934 and since replaced by a newer facility out near the airport. A smaller Post Office is maintained within the building, but what had been the former main post office gallery is now the entrance to the museum.

Here it is circa 1934, but it looks virtually the same today, well-restored and never allowed to fall into ruin.

Yesterday, we walked through the large opening at the right to enter the gallery:

Among those displayed, two vehicles have a "Studebaker" (well, at least Studebaker-Packard) connection. It is difficult to photograph within the exhibit because, while photography is permitted (I asked), you are prohibited from using flash:

This is a rare Packard because the styling is so unrestrained, if you will. It is described thus. (Remember, you can click on Ctrl and + to enlarge the type for easier reading):

The second car with a Studebaker connection is this 12-cylinder Pierce-Arrow:

It is described thus:

This is a wonderful exhibit. Anyone who has an excuse to be near Nashville TN before September 15 would be well-advised to check out the Frist Center website and see this exhibit. We were awed. BP

Last edited by BobPalma; 06-15-2013, 01:24 PM. Reason: added one more pic
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

That sounds like a great exhibit. A couple of years ago there was a similar one at the Art Museum in Portland Oregon. They called it "The Allure of the Automobile." I recognize the Silver Arrow in your picture was also in Portland. Here is a link to photos I took in Portland, same No Flash rule. I wonder if many of the same cars are in the Nashville display? http://www.flickr.com/photos/9729183...7627029007337/
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Were ALL Silver Arrows two-toned?.....The colors on this one look a bit strange to Me.

Comment

I love that lobby! It appears it survived through that era in the 1970's where all that nice original stuff got replaced with cheap melamine on particle board, false ceilings and shag rugs.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          I love that lobby! It appears it survived through that era in the 1970's where all that nice original stuff got replaced with cheap melamine on particle board, false ceilings and shag rugs. Craig
          Indeed it did, Craig; it is beautiful. BTDT.

Equally attractive is the downtown train station lobby right across the street. It's now a high-class hotel, but still serving as a depot for today's reduced number of passenger trains. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

This exhibit was here in Portland about a year ago. It is fabulous. I highly recommend seeing it if you can.
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
            X