Avanti 3 speed Trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti 3 speed Trans

While at a cruise night in Frankfort IL last night, an older gentleman from Texas came by, talking about his 63 GT Hawk he has had since buying it new. The GT had a somewhat rare 3 speed/overdrive trans with the "three on the tree". A fellow club member and Stude owner sitting by me and I in the course of conversation started talking about some Avantis being equipped with 3 speed transmissions. Two questions evolved from the conversation, we could not answer. The first question was if the three speed Avantis would have been regular 3 speeds or if they would have been 3 speeds and overdrive equipped. The 2nd question was where the shifter was. I'm thinking the shifter was counsel mounted as were the 4 speed and the flight-o-magic were. My buddy was wondering if it was on the steering column. Where was the shifter located? I've seen quite a few Avantis, but have not seen a 3 speed equipped one.
    sigpic[SIGPIC]

The first few Avanti were supposedly all three speeds. The only two I've seen were straight T86s with no overdrive. The shifter was on the console with an offset shifter which placed the stick in the center, much like the Corvette and Thunderbirds with three-speed trannies.

There's been some discussion as to whether the long-tailshaft overdrive would actually fit. The owner of a Lark convertible and another with a wagon, both which seemingly would have the same engine location and frame with X-member say the long tailshaft OD fits in and out with no problem.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

An O/D equipped 'long-tail' T-86 would physically fit into an Avanti OK......Problems, (I'm sure solvable problems), may occur with the floor shift linkage.

Comment

I saw a floor mounted one at the 1990 Western States Meet, 1990, Sacramento. Only one I've ever seen.
        Lou Van Anne
        62 Champ
        64 R2 GT Hawk
        79 Avanti II

Comment

JTS359 here on the forum currently owns a 3 speed Avanti. Yo Ed, you out there?
          Jim
          I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

My 63 R1780 was originally a black 3 speed, with am radio and hill holder. When I bought it in 1980, it was white with a 4 speed. I repainted it white in 1981, and "repainted" it back to black in 2011. It also now sports a Paxton under the hood, and 4 wheel disc brakes. <G>

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

Thanks for confirming my suspicions about the location of the 3 speed shifter in the console. I'm sure that some of the forum "historians" will be able to inform us if there were any overdrives from the factory in the Avantis.
              sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
                Thanks for confirming my suspicions about the location of the 3 speed shifter in the console. I'm sure that some of the forum "historians" will be able to inform us if there were any overdrives from the factory in the Avantis.
                Not that I know of,......but considering the limitations of a straight 3 speed, an overdrive retrofit sure would make sense!

Comment

I've seen a couple of them around here over the past few years. They're a rare critter, that's for sure, as most people here have the 4 speeds or Powershifts, which is what I've heard about why the 3 speeds weren't as common. Customers wanted to shift four speeds, not have the fun stop at only three . The ones I've seen were straight 3 speeds, but there's always the exception, with the traditional console shifter and white ball. The only difference was the ball only had 3 speeds on it instead of 4.
                  1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                  1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                  1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                  1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Hi I have one and put about 200 miles on it last weekend , About the only draw back I have with it is I wish the 1st gear was a syncro, I have a white ball on my shifter but it is not marked with the 3 speed pattern and I have a NOS one also which is also not marked , Does any one who currently has one of these 3 speeds have a shifter ball marked with the 3 speed pattern ? We had another couple with us last weekend who had never rode in an Avanti and they were impressed with the car , Oh yea it doesn't have power steering either , Ed

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
                      Hi I have one and put about 200 miles on it last weekend , About the only draw back I have with it is I wish the 1st gear was a syncro, I have a white ball on my shifter but it is not marked with the 3 speed pattern and I have a NOS one also which is also not marked , Does any one who currently has one of these 3 speeds have a shifter ball marked with the 3 speed pattern ? We had another couple with us last weekend who had never rode in an Avanti and they were impressed with the car , Oh yea it doesn't have power steering either , Ed
                      A straight 3speed Avanti with no power steering......Must have been special ordered by Jack Benny!

Comment

I have a shifter and the special bracket for the three speed Avanti.
                        Send me a PM if you need these.
                        Robert Kapteyn

Comment

I remember one, three speed and no power steering, in the Hudson Valley in the 1970s. It may be the same one that is in NJ now.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            I remember one, three speed and no power steering, in the Hudson Valley in the 1970s. It may be the same one that is in NJ now.
                            There was an Avanti White '63 straight 3 speed here in the Boston area during that same early seventies time period.......Another 'Stripper'

Comment

Makes Me wonder,in the early 80s a young fella "about my age at the time" pulls into my Parents yard with a white 63 with 3 speed,and the fawn/orange interior.I think they were from the MA. area ?,last name Locinbuell or something lioke that.only one I ever saw in that color combo,and really liked it !
                              Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                              There was an Avanti White '63 straight 3 speed here in the Boston area during that same early seventies time period.......Another 'Stripper'
                              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                              X