Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this grille Studebaker??? if so is anyone interested??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    Bayerische Motoren Werke AG Big Truck?
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
      I am thinking NOT. Cars of that era still had the opening for the crank at the bottom.
      True, Dick; in which case it might simply be an aftermarket "custom" grill of some sort, or even a cheapie aftermarket replacement grille for a Hudson or Terraplane application.

I say this because, on closer examination, it looks like a cheap stamping, as opposed to a heavier, die-cast piece. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        True, Dick; in which case it might simply be an aftermarket "custom" grill of some sort, or even a cheapie aftermarket replacement grille for a Hudson or Terraplane application.

I say this because, on closer examination, it looks like a cheap stamping, as opposed to a heavier, die-cast piece. BP
        I don't think all these era grills had the crank hole. I believe some were merely inserts in a metal stamping and sometimes the crank hole was in the outer shell. Also, some of the more expensive higher end cars were so proud of their "electric" starters they did away with the hand crank option.

That grill on Jeff's wall reminds me of the ones in the old Divco delivery trucks, but I believe they had a more pronounced curve in their shape.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          That's what makes me thinks its British, or some other European origin.

Craig

Comment

This grill is like BP states not heavy pot metal but some thin stamped metal but is pretty straight with one break on the top outer ring but easy fix, anyone interest for a wall hanger if nothing else? also have a rather nice 47-53 chevy truck grille with only surface rust, any one into these trucks need it before going to e-bay?

Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

The first picture is of a Willys 77 grille - from about 1933-35, or there abouts. That would be my guess - but measurements,and someone with a Willys would be able to determine that for sure.

It would be worth $$ to someone.

Drew

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                That was my first thought also. Got any measurements?

Yes Roy here they are 30" high , 20 1/2" wide at the top and 16" wide at the bottom before curving to point.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Originally posted by drew72mgb View Post
                  The first picture is of a Willys 77 grille - from about 1933-35, or there abouts. That would be my guess - but measurements,and someone with a Willys would be able to determine that for sure.

It would be worth $$ to someone.

Drew
                  You are way off with the Willys guess. I owned several pre-WWII Willys cars and that grille is not close to any from 1933-42.
                  Richard Quinn
                  Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Working...
                  X