Workin' on 'The Black Car'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workin' on 'The Black Car'

While not exactly Stude specific, it is work done to a Stude....

The doors were gutted on this race car, and there was no latch at all on the inside of the passenger door.
    Kind of strange, since there is a passenger seat in there...
    The drivers door had a lawn mower shifter handle hooked up to a cheesy flat stock pull and pivot.
    That had to go...
    What to do? Store bought race car stuff is expensive.
    Build it from scratch.

Cut some aluminum plate from scrap stock (CASO, you know!)
    (Bolted two plates together to make the two handles at the same time)

Milled and drilled the handles...

Decided on the position. Drilled the pivot hole (and built a threaded pivot point), and cut the handle slot in the top of the door.

Drilled and milled the 'finger pull' escutcheon plates (My Dad always told me to make my brackets do more than one thing)

Re-did the pull rod(s) with spherical rod ends, put a bend in the handle, and put it all together.

Made a little YouTube video 3/4 of the way through the project...

More about this Stude drag car build can be seen at:
    http://www.racingstudebakers.com/foo/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2230

Jeff
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Smarter Than the average bear ! (quote from Yogi ! ) Nice job and good thinking!
    Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Cluttered with ez chairs all over................MY KIND OF SHOP!!

Comment

Short ones, medium ones, and tall ones...no Laz-E-Boy recliner....yet

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Nice work Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
            Yep mine too. I've got one of those cheesy green plastic lawn chairs, it's gotta go!

Allen
            1964 GT Hawk
            PSMCDR 2014
            Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
            PSMCDR 2013
            Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Very nicely done! Light weight, cool looking and functional!
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I've been following your build on Sonny's page on and off. The detail of your reporting of even the smallest operation is amazing. But the big question is if/when will it actually see a race track??
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Coming along nicely... Did you settle on a name yet?
                  sigpic1959 4E2D 498 Studebaker Scotsman 4X4

http://www.napco4x4.org/gallery/m80-...-protype1.html

Comment

Yeah... It's tough to build a car when you have to work a full time job running three states for a large company.
                    Especially when priorities put the hobby behind the family and career.
                    But I do enjoy the build aspect, and I really enjoy the creative aspect of building it.
                    Some of the changes that the car has seen is to be able to pass the ECTA tech and safety inspection, as well as the drag race inspections.
                    It will see the track, sooner or later....and with Stude power!
                    Jeff

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                    I've been following your build on Sonny's page on and off. The detail of your reporting of even the smallest operation is amazing. But the big question is if/when will it actually see a race track??

Jeff

Comment

Like Pat said,, & in my opinion: industrial-design when done properly is always beautiful!

Comment

Welded all the rivet holes up high, as the door panels are being put where the OE panels go.
                        Fixed the Lexan window braces, and tossed on a coat of rattlecan black to keep things from rusting.

No, no name yet (beyond calling it 'The Black Car"... Nothing has hit me between the eyes....yet.
                        Jeff

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                          Welded all the rivet holes up high, as the door panels are being put where the OE panels go.
                          Fixed the Lexan window braces, and tossed on a coat of rattlecan black to keep things from rusting.

No, no name yet (beyond calling it 'The Black Car"... Nothing has hit me between the eyes....yet.
                          Jeff

Well, if Bob Andrews named it......It might be called "THE BLACK GARAGE QUEEN"

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                            How are your Stude projects coming? <g> Maybe Jeff's final goal isn't really the final goal. Maybe his goal is to enjoy the build, and enjoy the camaraderie of sharing it.

Jeff, it's obvious you are enjoying your project. Thanks for taking the time to share! Some of us aren't able to build our own cars, so it's nice to follow along as others do.
                            Last edited by mbstude; 06-08-2013, 05:45 PM.

Comment

LOOKIN'GOOD Jeff! Josh and I were in your neighbor hood Fri-Sat for the SCV Reunuion. We had hoped to get a break and drop in on you,but we were elected as delegates from our Camp,and were kept busy untill we were ready to go HOME! Thanks for the newspaper article. NT
                              Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                              X