Help me pick a color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick a color

I've been working on bringing a 62 GT Hawk back from the grave for the last 2 years and am about ready for color. So what color have you seen on this car that really makes it pop. I'm not necessarily concerned about originality on the paint. I'm thinking a charcoal gray or deep green may look good. Any opinions?

Well, What color was it originally? But, it's your car and your money. My 52 Commander is "Resale Red" and my Avanti is Black,

The are some very nice Charcoal Grays out there.

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

The car was originally Ermine White, but none of it exists at this point.

Comment

What color is the interior?
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I am going through the same thing with a 63GT. It was originally black, then white, then red. None of those will work, because black is too hot; white is too plain, and I already have another red GT. I plan to paint it a 1963 Stude color, not sure which, but leaning toward silver mist poly.

Riveria blue poly was a nice 62 color, as was silver mist poly (correct for 62 & 63). If you go to TCP Global and into their auto color library, you can view the 1962 Stude paint chips. If you just want to stay era correct, 1960 T-Bird gunpowder gray poly is nice.

Also, IMHO all GTs look good with a different colored top.

My painter has advised me to buy the paint last, since many people later change their minds, and you cannot return the mixed paint for a refund.

Comment

Originally posted by cwinston View Post
            The car was originally Ermine White, but none of it exists at this point.
            I'd say anything but the original 'Ermine White'. White does absolutely nothing for GT Hawks (White IS a good hiding color though...if the bodywork isn't perfect!)

Comment

Metallic brown code P-6217......in a modern base clear would look fantastic.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Strato Blue is a 64 color but looks great on a GT. Jet Green is also good.

Denny L

Comment

I have not see a car that has looked bad in Chrysler's Black Cherry.
                  Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Seems like we agree on hawks, when I was thinking of a gt hawk I wanted to paint it dark green or almost black gunmetal color. Studebaker Jet green looks excellent on them for OEM. I wonder if you could get a tungsten colored paint, if so that would be great. For a real custom color and my personal favorite HOK makes some really cool greens
                    Huh the pics didn't work well the first is part number kpf102sf the second is kbc09
                    Last edited by GThawkwind; 06-06-2013, 08:10 PM.

Comment

What ever color "you" like.
                      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Panther Pink...

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                          What ever color "you" like.
                          There you go...Bob has nailed it. I'll add a couple of comments that have influenced my decisions regarding the subject. If you have a car with decent door jams and firewall paint...it is much easier to stay with that color. It will save a lot of money, time, and labor. Getting those areas properly prepped for repaint is no picnic.

Probably the most important, part of this decision, is what your intentions are for the car. If you plan to keep the car, or resell it, the decision should be made after a little research on what colors bring the highest bucks. There is an old book titled "Dress for Success," (that is probably out of date by now) but it contained some important data about colors and how they are perceived and accepted by the public.

On the other hand, if you plan on keeping the car for your own enjoyment...choose whatever "trips your trigger." I don't know what really motivated you to ask this question. Except that it is a rather entertaining exercise in discussion...it is a very personal decision.

To me...Hawks are a very bold and elegant design...choose a color that amplifies that.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Your choice but I've liked charcoal grey ever since I saw it on an 04 stratus. I choose it for my Studebaker. It's quite popular now, and my escape and the wifes camry are also that color. So our garage looks pretty cool in my opinion, they all essentially match.
                            It's a classy color and a GT is a classy car.
                            Find a picture of the 56 golden hawk sold by the Palma family. It's all gunmetal grey with a red interior, and looks delicious. I'd get in the long line to buy that one in a heartbeat.

Comment

Grays are too boring. Any color orange works for me!!! (my favorite color)

Comment

Working...
                              X