New guy on block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy on block

Just a friendly hello and to introduce myself. Name is Rick and I just pulled a 57 Golden Hawk out of a barn. Motor seems to be stuck and was wondering if soomeone had a suggestion. I removed plugs and squirted WD40 in cylinders but nothing yet. Also this 57 Golden Hawk does not have fins and has 56 Taillights. Numbers on cowl are 57H-K7 which I think 57 is for 57 and the H stands for Golden Hawk?? Is the K-7 the production date??? It does have a supercharged motor but like I said I'm new to Studebakers and donyt know if or where the motor ID numbers would be to look up. I have restored many cars in my day so I'm familiar with the terminology. If anyone can be of help I would appreciate it. I'm trrying to set up a appoitment with the Studebaker Museum in South Bend cause I live within 45 minutes of the place and I hope to gain some knowledge and literature from them. I do not have a clue on removing the trim on this thing and was wondering if there is
    a site on here that will help me better understand. I have a 57 Chevy and have been on their site that had great info. I will try to post a picture soon Thanks Rick
    Attached Files

Welcome Rick!

Someone did away with the fins on your find. 57H indicates a '57 H-series (President) series car -in other words a 57 with a 289cu.in. engine. The K is for a pillarless coupe (as opposed to a C-bodied coupe) The 7 denotes Golden Hawk. The engine number is just to the left front of the lifter valley cover. Should start with a PS for 289 Supercharged.
    A stuck engine is a stuck engine. There's no "tricks" for a Studebaker edition!
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

A -57 G.H. without fins... man couldn't THAT be something special?
      If it would've been like some super-early-almost56-thing?
      Guess not thou...
      Oh, by the way: WELCOME!

Comment

...by the way; my Josephine had a stuck engine when I got her & I poured diesel in the plug-holes for a week, but nothing, so I took the engine & gearbox out & then when it was out of the car it suddenly loosened up & turned!!!
        (But it was a side-valve six & I always considered Studebaker V8-cars so away it goes...)

Comment

...& by the way once more; my Josephine had a stuck engine when I got her & I poured diesel in the plug-holes for a week, but nothing, so I took the engine & gearbox out & then when it was out of the car it suddenly loosened up & turned!!!
          (But it was a side-valve six & I always considered Studebaker V8-cars so away it goes...)

Comment

I think there are better things than WD-40 for unsticking an engine. A 50/50 mixture of automatic transmission fluid and acetone often works well.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

You will be well served to buy the chassis and body parts manuals. many of the questions you will come up with will be answered by looking at these books. They have beautiful line drawings that show all the parts and how they interact with one another.

Imaging how luck you are to have one of the premier models of the marque as your first. Congratulations.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by studelyman View Post
                Just a friendly hello and to introduce myself. Name is Rick and I just pulled a 57 Golden Hawk out of a barn. Motor seems to be stuck and was wondering if soomeone had a suggestion. I removed plugs and squirted WD40 in cylinders but nothing yet. Also this 57 Golden Hawk does not have fins and has 56 Taillights. Numbers on cowl are 57H-K7 which I think 57 is for 57 and the H stands for Golden Hawk?? Is the K-7 the production date??? It does have a supercharged motor but like I said I'm new to Studebakers and donyt know if or where the motor ID numbers would be to look up. I have restored many cars in my day so I'm familiar with the terminology. If anyone can be of help I would appreciate it. I'm trrying to set up a appoitment with the Studebaker Museum in South Bend cause I live within 45 minutes of the place and I hope to gain some knowledge and literature from them. I do not have a clue on removing the trim on this thing and was wondering if there is
                a site on here that will help me better understand. I have a 57 Chevy and have been on their site that had great info. I will try to post a picture soon Thanks Rick
                You know something?...It really does look pretty good without the fins! Looks like someone installed GT Hawk rocker panel mouldings on it also.

Comment

Congratulations on a great find and acquisition! There are numerous discussions on freeing up a stuck engine in the Tech Talk forum. Try using the search feature. Marvel Mystery Oil is one of the frequently recommended choices for squirting in the cylinders. You can get shop and body manuals from Studebaker International in South Bend. http://www.studebaker-intl.com/ One choice they offer is all the manuals on a CD/DVD that you can put in your computer and then print pages out as needed. This method is a bargain compared to buying individual books. Good luck with your project and keep us posted!
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Welcome to SDC and to the SDC Forum Rick!
                    You can join our insanity using the link at the top of the page for a first time discount.

If you have not been out South of South Bend on Main St. (BR31) to Chippewa Ave, W. turn Right to the former Studebaker Aircraft Engine Plant and later Truck Plant, you will be amazed at all of the NOS Parts available from the original factory stock and more at Studebaker International, see websites for Studebaker Vendors also, here: http://www.studebakervendors.com/

And here: http://www.studebaker-intl.com/
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-06-2013, 05:09 PM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

57 hawk GT

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      Welcome to SDC and to the SDC Forum Rick!
                      You can join our insanity using the link at the top of the page for a first time discount.

If you have not been out South of South Bend on Main St. (BR31) to Chippewa Ave, W. turn Right to the former Studebaker Aircraft Engine Plant and later Truck Plant, you will be amazed at all of the NOS Parts available from the original factory stock and more at Studebaker International, see websites for Studebaker Vendors also, here: http://www.studebakervendors.com/

And here: http://www.studebaker-intl.com/
                      Thanks for the extra info on parts. When i make my visit I will definitly check that place out also. Someone mentioned a GT Hawk and it actually says GTGoldenHawk on title????
                      Is that a special Golden Hawk and is that why there are no fins. I dont think it ever had fins because there are no mounting holes for the fins?

Comment

The title does say GTGOLDENHAWK is that why it has no fins or no mounting holes for the fins and coould this be a early 57 or late 56 with them taillights in it??

Comment

There were no "GT" Golden Hawks, there are many Urban Myths about Golden Hawks out there though!

If this Car was specially built for an Employee of the Company or something very unusual like that, the way to find out is order a Copy of the Production Order from the Studebaker National Museum 2 weeks before you go there and ask if they will give you pickup there to find out more about your Car, all you need is the Serial Number from the drivers door post.
                          The mods to your Car are most likely just owner "options", but you never know!

The GT Hawks started with the Gran Turismo Hawks in 1962 to 1964.
                          StudeRich

Comment

The title says GTGOLDENHAWKS and it does have the GT rocker moldings. Did the Gt come without fins because there are no holes to mount fins to because I checked into that to see if I could mount them but after looking at it your right it does look pretty neat without fins. Dont know which wayy to go thats why I'm going to South Bend to find out history. Will keep you posted. Long way to go.

Comment

In most States the "Model Number" would be more like: 2DR.HT.GH or some such abbreviation, not "GTGoldenHawks" that sounds more like a former owner's Co. name or something! Is it in the "Model Number" Box? Check the Car Serial Number they used as a "VIN NUMBER" on the title, registration and on the Car and we can tell you more.

Anyway after 56 years you would be surprised how these Cars have been changed because of the ease of "bolting on" different year parts like Stude. did.

My Son Mike had a real verified Golden Hawk that had just about as many '64 GT parts on it that could be installed.

It had '64 side Grilles, a '64 center Grille and standup hood ornament on a modified to fit, '57 GH Hood.

All of the GT fender top Mouldings as used on '60's Lincoln Continentals, even the body line creased DOORS were replaced with smooth ones from a '64.

It had the GT Tail Lights with fin holes filled or with '64 Quarter panels which probably is what yours has.

Your Car looks like it has a '55 President Speedster Halo Moulding above the Rear backlight, '57's were next to the stainless moulding on the glass weatherstrip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bliue_Wht 58.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	1680216 Click image for larger version

Name:	Grey _ White Speedster.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1680217 Click image for larger version

Name:	64 R2 Red7.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	1680218
                              A 1958 GH....A 55 President Speedster..A '64 GT Hawk
                              Last edited by StudeRich; 06-06-2013, 06:48 PM.
                              StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                              X