No announcement yet.

Here's some more great mis-information!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's some more great mis-information!

Check out this eBay auction for a pair of '63 Lark taillight lenses. Here is the entire description:

"A pair of tail light lenses with the spiders, the DOT made Studebaker remove the spiders part way into production. The lenses are used."

http://tinyurl.com/2g522j

[xx(][V][?]

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
    www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

I think it might have been too many Michigan winters that removed the spider on the one on the left [)]

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I think it might have been too many Michigan winters that removed the spider on the one on the left [)]

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I think I would be talking to Chuck down in Phoenix if I needed a set of '62 or '63 tailight lenses.

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar
        3E-6/7-122
        </h5>

Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander
        Zone Coordinator
        Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I think I would be talking to Chuck down in Phoenix if I needed a set of '62 or '63 tailight lenses.

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar
          3E-6/7-122
          </h5>

Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander
          Zone Coordinator
          Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Skip Lackie has a great DOT story about spinner hub caps for his 62 Chevy SS. Many years ago, he bought hub caps NOS from GM, but they sold the caps and spinners separately since the assembly would be illegal by the 70's.

JDP/Maryland
            64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
            64 GT R2
            63 Lark 2 door
            52 & 53 Starliner
            51 Commander
            39 Coupe express
            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Skip Lackie has a great DOT story about spinner hub caps for his 62 Chevy SS. Many years ago, he bought hub caps NOS from GM, but they sold the caps and spinners separately since the assembly would be illegal by the 70's.

JDP/Maryland
              64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
              64 GT R2
              63 Lark 2 door
              52 & 53 Starliner
              51 Commander
              39 Coupe express
              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

Aw, heck. Let's make Chuck's great new reproduced lenses easier to find: http://studebakerparts.com/

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon
                Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
                "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

Aw, heck. Let's make Chuck's great new reproduced lenses easier to find: http://studebakerparts.com/

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                  The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                  "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                  The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Funny you should mention that. I remember a friend of mine's mom had a fairly new 66 Impala SS. One night someone stole two of the spinner hubcaps off the streetside. They ordered new ones from the dealer. When the new ones arrived, they were EXACTLY like the ones on the car, but no spinners. And those were the caps that were specifically made as spinner caps. Like this, but no spinner bars:

quote:Originally posted by JDP

JDP/Maryland
                    Mark Anderson
                    1965 Cruiser
                    http://home.alltel.net/anderm
                    Home of the Cruiser Registry

Comment

Funny you should mention that. I remember a friend of mine's mom had a fairly new 66 Impala SS. One night someone stole two of the spinner hubcaps off the streetside. They ordered new ones from the dealer. When the new ones arrived, they were EXACTLY like the ones on the car, but no spinners. And those were the caps that were specifically made as spinner caps. Like this, but no spinner bars:

JDP/Maryland
                      Mark Anderson
                      1965 Cruiser
                      http://home.alltel.net/anderm
                      Home of the Cruiser Registry

Comment

JDP/Maryland
                        64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                        64 GT R2
                        63 Lark 2 door
                        52 & 53 Starliner
                        51 Commander
                        39 Coupe express
                        39 Coupe express (rod)

All true. The spinner box came printed with a lengthy legal statement stating that the item therein was being sold solely as a replacement part, and therefore was in accordance with NHTSA rule number xxxxx. As a guy who worked for the govt most of my life, such idiocy both embarrasses and depresses me. Some bonehead in the NHTSA had watched Ben Hur too many times -- the front bumpers stuck out at least six inches farther than the spinners, and there was simply no way those spinners could come in contact with a pedestrian. Fortunately, the parts dept guy was smart enough to know that and ordered the parts separately.

Skip Lackie
                        Washington DC
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

JDP/Maryland
                          64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                          64 GT R2
                          63 Lark 2 door
                          52 & 53 Starliner
                          51 Commander
                          39 Coupe express
                          39 Coupe express (rod)

All true. The spinner box came printed with a lengthy legal statement stating that the item therein was being sold solely as a replacement part, and therefore was in accordance with NHTSA rule number xxxxx. As a guy who worked for the govt most of my life, such idiocy both embarrasses and depresses me. Some bonehead in the NHTSA had watched Ben Hur too many times -- the front bumpers stuck out at least six inches farther than the spinners, and there was simply no way those spinners could come in contact with a pedestrian. Fortunately, the parts dept guy was smart enough to know that and ordered the parts separately.

Skip Lackie
                          Washington DC
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

quote: All true. The spinner box came printed with a lengthy legal statement stating that the item therein was being sold solely as a replacement part, and therefore was in accordance with NHTSA rule number xxxxx.
                            Skip Lackie
                            Washington DC
                            It was prabably the film about Isadora Duncan where she was killed after getting her scarf caught in a Bugatti's spinner.

For every worthwhile safety item the feds have mandated, they seemingly did two for no good reason other than to look busy.

If any of you ever run into Ralph Nader, tell him to ___________. (use your imagination).

63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote: All true. The spinner box came printed with a lengthy legal statement stating that the item therein was being sold solely as a replacement part, and therefore was in accordance with NHTSA rule number xxxxx.
                              Skip Lackie
                              Washington DC
                              It was prabably the film about Isadora Duncan where she was killed after getting her scarf caught in a Bugatti's spinner.

For every worthwhile safety item the feds have mandated, they seemingly did two for no good reason other than to look busy.

If any of you ever run into Ralph Nader, tell him to ___________. (use your imagination).

63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X