No announcement yet.

misplaced a vital part... I FOUND IT!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• misplaced a vital part... I FOUND IT!!

I can't seem to locate the bracket that bolts on the underside of Bess' tranny. For those of you who aren't familliar, She's a '56 Parkview, three-speed O.D. The bracket which holds the clutch linkage lever (I think that's what it's called and don't have the book handy) has gone missing. Does anyone know if those are too very hard to find? I didn't notice them listed in the catalogue. The garage/shop is in for a thorough cleaning this week and I'll be looking for it. However, just in case, I was wondering...

It's been a while since Bess has seen the road and I was hoping to get her there in the next few weeks. We shall see, I suppose...

EDIT:

Okay... I'm now back in Fawn Lodge and have the manual open in front of me. On page six of the Clutch section the bracket is described (bottom of page, large schematic) as a, "Support Bracket - Commander and President W, F, D". I remember having to drill and tap the holes for this (and the angst that caused). I even bought new, hardened cap screws for it. Now where the ruddy thing has got off to I couldn't say. So frustrating...

So... anyone? Any ideas????
    Last edited by studeclunker; 10-10-2013, 09:17 PM.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Okay, will a Lark bracket work? They look the same in the book... Gustafson's has two manual wagons (I think a '61 and '62). Problem is, both are sitting right on the ground, no floors, so who knows for how long. I have to wonder if the bracket will even be usable off them. However, it is some kind of a starting point...

... Anyone?
    Ron Smith

Comment

I believe it was in '63 that the suspended pedals began. Okay, I'll call Gustafson's and see if I can get him to pull those for me. Hopefully, they won't be too ruined by rust (the cars are sitting on the ground). Thankfully, Studebaker made those parts rather stout.
      Ron Smith

Comment

Suspended pedal assemblies started on Larks in 61 Ron, sorry.

63 Champs went to suspended pedals.
        Last edited by Warren Webb; 06-05-2013, 02:47 AM. Reason: Champ update
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The Chassis Parts Catalog is your Friend Ron, it will tell you the part number and what else it fits.
          It will also show you the shape of the one you are looking for, not a generic one size fits all Pic.

Some '56 B & H Models have a T85 O.D. Trans. with the removable left side cover and NO top Cover, the Clutch Linkage and support Bracket is different and very hard to find for the T-85, others have a T86 with Top Cover.

When former poster here Alan Songer built that beautiful Black '56 Commander 2 door Show Car with the 289 R1 and T85 O.D. he searched all over and I think he ended up making one, all types are very hard to find.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I should have one of those. I parted out a '56 Commander a few years ago. And I know where I might find another.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Well Gordr, I may have to impose on you. It looks like Gustafson's inventory is about to vanish into the crusher (see my thread on the subject).

'Fabbing the bracket is not so difficult as it is rather straightforward. It's the cup on the end that's got my knickers in a twist. Not only that, I'm a pretty piss-poor 'fabber. Sorry, but it's the truth. The only friend I have that's good at Jerry-rigging wants to put a Toyota engine in Bess! When I started stacking up wood in the front yard (around a big post) he got the hint that Heresy had just been spoken (LOL).

This whole thing is really getting me down, what with the news of Gustafson's. Gosh, what's to keep these Eco-lawyers (said as the filthiest epithet imaginable) from wiping out all the yards and then coming after our cars as well?

It really stinks living in a demi-communist state where the brown-shirts come after whatever the State is unwilling to take on and the activist Judges think they're our de-facto rulers.

Ah, don't mind me, I'm just frustrated and angry today.
              Ron Smith

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                Ah, don't mind me, I'm just frustrated and angry today.
                A mood that is very justified and shared by many!
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I will have a look tomorrow. Any information as to the part number, or dimensions, so that I can be sure i have the right part? There are several such brackets, and the all are similar in appearance.
                  Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

You might find your bracket where I found my Avanti fuel pump (after 3 months of searching). Mine was in a cardboard box under a Model A Ford headlamp. Don't ask how it got there... it just did! Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                      I will have a look tomorrow. Any information as to the part number, or dimensions, so that I can be sure i have the right part? There are several such brackets, and the all are similar in appearance.
                      Sorry, I don't have the chassis manual on the '56. However I do have the chassis catalogue for the '59-'64 autos. The C-K support bracket (206-19 D) looks very much the same as the very faint illustration of the '56 bracket for the President and Commander W, F, D (in my '56 shop manual, page 8 under clutch). Looking very closely at the illustrations for the Larks, they were linked very much the same way. However the illustration on Page 47 of the (59-64) Chassis manual shows bracket 206-19 A, where mine more resembled 206-19 D (page 56, ie; the cup was forwards rather than behind the bracket). Thus my guess would part number 1546228. That however, is an educated guess rather than any kind of authority. Wish I'd taken a picture of it when agonizing over drilling the holes for it in the first place. Oh Sigh, the cost of being a moron is sometimes high.
                      Ron Smith

Comment

Ron, We still don't know what trans you have in Bess. Which one is it?? T 85 or T 86 ??
                        sals54

Comment

Enable away Roy and thanks! Yes, the transmission is a T-86 E-1A (or at least it's identical to the one on the garage floor where I got the numbers). Quite some time ago I was fussing about drilling this transmission to install the bracket. Originally it was built for a '52 and that model year had a frame mounted clutch linkage. Anyway, I did the drilling, test mounted the linkage bracket and took it and the cap screws off to install the tranny in the car. One thing led to another and the car didn't get finished. In fact, she has sat now for almost two years. So... I really would like to get the old girl going again. I'm kinda going into Stude-withdrawl here.
                          Ron Smith

Comment

I FOUND IT!!!

Well, more precisely, George or Russ found it. All the same I was looking on the bench for something else and THERE IT WAS!!

I've got it on and the shift linkage attached, and everything looks GREAT!

Bess should be up and running in no time!!
                            Last edited by studeclunker; 10-10-2013, 09:35 PM.
                            Ron Smith

Comment

Ron, That's great news. I know how you feel. I've got so many projects going all at the same time, sometimes I get things mixed up into different piles of parts. Glad to hear you got it.
                              sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X