Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
    As an aside, where might R-3546 be residing now? thx
    A well-known forum member and frequent poster bought it. I imagine he'll be posting to this thread as soon as he sees it. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob,-------This thread was VERY interesting.........Thanks for posting!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
        Bob,-------This thread was VERY interesting.........Thanks for posting!
        True, Ed; thanks.

I believe it was the knowledgable Dick Quinn who first uttered the words, "never say never" when discussing Studebaker history...and he oughta know!

People who find themselves back-peddling are those who insist they are the sole repository of what the company did or didn't do. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

So the parts book is wrong? Under Car Model Identification it shows bodies being built in Ashtabula starting with R-Q-101 and bodies built in South Bend starting with R-Q-5001. I would think that Studebaker would try to keep track of where the bodies were built for quality reasons. If they had problems they woud know if it was their problem or MFG.
          Bob Langer
          Glenshaw,PA

Comment

When would body numbers be assigned...when received from MFG or from the Studebaker facility or after body drop on the frame? I'm guessing when received or there might be no way knowing where each body originated.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The Dec '63 Avanti parts book says, as Bob pointed out, that #'s started with 101 for Ashtabula bodies, and 5001 for South Bend bodies. I don't see any reason to think it's not correct.
              A while back, minutes of board meetings from '62 & '63 were published here. Production of Avanti bodies came up a lot. Apparently bodies from Ashtabula were mixed with bodies assembled in South Bend. Both series of body #'s went down the assembly line together. Both sources were used, at least till Aug. '63; probably till the end of production. Bodies that didn't meet requirements were set aside for rework and later would have rejoined the assembly line, maybe way out of sequence. Some bodies were too far out of spec and were sent back to Ashtabula; accounting for some missing #'s.
              Mike M.
              Last edited by Mike; 06-02-2013, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Langer View Post
                So the parts book is wrong? Under Car Model Identification it shows bodies being built in Ashtabula starting with R-Q-101 and bodies built in South Bend starting with R-Q-5001. I would think that Studebaker would try to keep track of where the bodies were built for quality reasons. If they had problems they woud know if it was their problem or MFG.
                Your question suggests we've uncovered a transition period, Bob, where the last bodies made in Ashtabula were interspersed with the first bodies made in South Bend. If this is true, virtually all the last 800 or 900 Studebaker Avantis would have body numbers over 5000.
                Is this true? I don't know, so we'll see if anyone else does.

Does anyone have a late Avanti, with a serial number in the last 800 or 900 made, that has a body number under 5001? BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  The Dec '63 Avanti parts book says, as Bob pointed out, that #'s started with 101 for Ashtabula bodies, and 5001 for South Bend bodies. I don't see any reason to think it's not correct.
                  A while back, minutes of board meetings from '62 & '63 were published here. Production of Avanti bodies came up a lot. Apparently bodies from Ashtabula were mixed with bodies assembled in South Bend. Both series of body #'s went down the assembly line together. Both sources were used, at least till Aug. '63; probably till the end of production. Bodies that didn't meet requirements were set aside for rework and later would have rejoined the assembly line, maybe way out of sequence. Some bodies were too far out of spec and were sent back to Ashtabula; accounting for some missing #'s.
                  Mike M.
                  So the plot might thicken at this point....were the bodies set aside for rework reassigned new body tags? BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    Your question suggests we've uncovered a transition period, Bob, where the last bodies made in Ashtabula were interspersed with the first bodies made in South Bend. If this is true, virtually all the last 800 or 900 Studebaker Avantis would have body numbers over 5000.

Does anyone have a late Avanti, with a serial number in the last 800 or 900 made, that has a body number under 5001? BP

From Avanti, The Complete Story by John Hull.

"The decision was made to open a second assembly line in South Bend in December of 1962."

"Studebaker Avanti production peaked in January of 1963 with both body production lines (Ashtabula and South Bend) running and then began to decline."
                    Bob Langer
                    Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

I have R5051 with body number #3916 and also , R5487 with body number #4326. Does this add to the mystery?

Bob Caser
                      mrbobinc

Comment

I am doing this from memory, which is dangerous...didn't early Avanti II's have Studebaker body tags on them? I pretty sure I saw this on some early II's but then again I could be wrong. I always assumed(!) that these early Avanti II's had Studebaker-styled tags either because they were bodies which were already in production when Studebaker shut down or they were made by Molded Fiberglass, and still got tags. I don't think I am dreaming this, but maybe somebody with knowledge off early Avanti II's could chime in here.
                        Eric DeRosa

\'49 2R-5 (original Survivor)
                        \'63 R2 Lark (the money-pit-mobile)
                        \'60 Lark Convertible (project in waiting)

Comment

Originally posted by 2R2 View Post
                          I am doing this from memory, which is dangerous...didn't early Avanti II's have Studebaker body tags on them? I pretty sure I saw this on some early II's but then again I could be wrong. I always assumed(!) that these early Avanti II's had Studebaker-styled tags either because they were bodies which were already in production when Studebaker shut down or they were made by Molded Fiberglass, and still got tags. I don't think I am dreaming this, but maybe somebody with knowledge off early Avanti II's could chime in here.
                          2R2.....I used to own a really nice '68....and I'm quite sure that it didn't have a Studebaker body tag on the right inner fender skirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
                            I have R5051 with body number #3916 and also , R5487 with body number #4326. Does this add to the mystery? Bob Caser
                            Yes and no, Bob, but it does indicate one thing: If South-Bend built bodies really were numbered 5001 and up, your almost-the-end of production serial number 5487 Avanti was built using what would have had to be a comparatively "old" Astabula body (4326) that had been sitting around many months at the point! "Never say never," of course.

(And besides, we know Astabula didn't make 4,226 Avanti bodies, which that number would indicate.)

Thanks for the contribution. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

The information I have states Avanti II production discontinued use of the body number tag beginning with RQB1516. All RQA and very early RQB cars would have come with a body tag. Since all bodies Avanti Motors used would have been from MFG, either it made no sense to continue using body tags or they simply ran out of tags and they saw no further need for them.
                              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Certainly with Astabula bodies, they were "tagged" before primer and paint, and the number also hand written somewhere on the body before the interiors were installed. One of my Avantis had the number scrawled on the deck above the fuel tank area under the vinyl and the other on the inner right panel above the rear arm rest.
                                Last edited by WCP; 06-02-2013, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X