Vibration Dampers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibration Dampers

I have been looking for a set of vibration dampers for my 47 Commader Convertible. They consist of a bracket, a mini leaf spring and lead weights. What were they actually used for. I was told by someone that they were not really needed and others say they were.

Thanks

I believe that they were needed as harmonic balancers. I have followed a Studebaker convertible where the weights were removed and the car shook all over. I believe that the weights, at least the later ones, were cast iron and not "lead."

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I believe that they were needed as harmonic balancers. I have followed a Studebaker convertible where the weights were removed and the car shook all over. I believe that the weights, at least the later ones, were cast iron and not "lead."

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

I have been looking for a set of vibration dampers for my 47 Commader Convertible. They consist of a bracket, a mini leaf spring and lead weights. What were they actually used for. I was told by someone that they were not really needed and others say they were.

Thanks
        Just a wild guess ...maybe they were used on Studebaker convertible models to enhance vehicle control by placing additional weight over the steering system. That may have been an earlier version of the weights Studebaker engineers added to the Lark Convertibles shortly after the Mayor of South Bend lost control of one and it rolled over killing him.

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

Thanks
          Just a wild guess ...maybe they were used on Studebaker convertible models to enhance vehicle control by placing additional weight over the steering system. That may have been an earlier version of the weights Studebaker engineers added to the Lark Convertibles shortly after the Mayor of South Bend lost control of one and it rolled over killing him.

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I believe that they were needed as harmonic balancers. I have followed a Studebaker convertible where the weights were removed and the car shook all over.
            Whould it help if I sub framed it. My neighbor has been trying for years to get me to put a Chevy front end up front, and he can do it for me. I think the Chevy front end would change everything. Make it more drivable.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I believe that they were needed as harmonic balancers. I have followed a Studebaker convertible where the weights were removed and the car shook all over.
              Whould it help if I sub framed it. My neighbor has been trying for years to get me to put a Chevy front end up front, and he can do it for me. I think the Chevy front end would change everything. Make it more drivable.

Comment

The weights were used on the Lark convertibles to eliminate or reduce what is referred to as cowl shake. My 63 convert had them removed and when I reinstalled them I could really tell the difference especially at hightway speed.I surmise the earlier cars had the same problem as structural rigidity left a little to be desired in converts. Whether a GM front stub would cure this I really don't know. The weights were also used in Lark station wagons.

Frank van Doorn
                1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
                1963 Daytona Conv
                1941 Champion R-2 Rod
                Frank van Doorn
                Omaha, Ne.
                1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

The weights were used on the Lark convertibles to eliminate or reduce what is referred to as cowl shake. My 63 convert had them removed and when I reinstalled them I could really tell the difference especially at hightway speed.I surmise the earlier cars had the same problem as structural rigidity left a little to be desired in converts. Whether a GM front stub would cure this I really don't know. The weights were also used in Lark station wagons.

Frank van Doorn
                  1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
                  1963 Daytona Conv
                  1941 Champion R-2 Rod
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                  1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                  1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I do not believe that going to a subframe would help with this problem. I have owned Studebakers with GM subframes. They are nice to drive and are good riding. They are also an easy way to get power steering and disc brakes. The sub frame will not help you with the problem of convertible body rigidity.

Not all Lark wagons had the harmonic balance weights. They were only used on Wagonaires with an opening roof. The rear section of the roof not being cross braced made them almost like a convertible.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I do not believe that going to a subframe would help with this problem. I have owned Studebakers with GM subframes. They are nice to drive and are good riding. They are also an easy way to get power steering and disc brakes. The sub frame will not help you with the problem of convertible body rigidity.

Not all Lark wagons had the harmonic balance weights. They were only used on Wagonaires with an opening roof. The rear section of the roof not being cross braced made them almost like a convertible.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                      X