War Time Trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War Time Trucks

Question, I can recognize a Studebaker 6x6 with a closed cab. BUT, what distinguishes the open cab model of the Studebaker built 6x6's that were used in WWII and later on in Korea. Is it the front fenders, the radiator etc. I won some kits on E-bay a bunch a years ago and one kit is a 6x6 but I cannot tell if it is a Studebaker as described.

BG

Contact one of Stude Toy guys - they'll know.

Chris Pile
    The Studebaker Special
    Midway Chapter SDC
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Contact one of Stude Toy guys - they'll know.

Chris Pile
      The Studebaker Special
      Midway Chapter SDC
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

Question, I can recognize a Studebaker 6x6 with a closed cab. BUT, what distinguishes the open cab model of the Studebaker built 6x6's that were used in WWII and later on in Korea. Is it the front fenders, the radiator etc. I won some kits on E-bay a bunch a years ago and one kit is a 6x6 but I cannot tell if it is a Studebaker as described.

BG
        What SERIES 6X6 does it indicate on the box?

FYI: M35A2 6X6 Series 2 1/2 Ton and M52A2 Series 5 Ton trucks were the ones Studebaker was building in 1963 and Kaiser Jeep began building in South Bend the following year.

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

BG
          What SERIES 6X6 does it indicate on the box?

FYI: M35A2 6X6 Series 2 1/2 Ton and M52A2 Series 5 Ton trucks were the ones Studebaker was building in 1963 and Kaiser Jeep began building in South Bend the following year.

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

Here are some illustrations from the Army Ordnance Supply Catalog (dated August 15, 1944)of both the open and closed cabs used in WWII.

Leonard Shepherd
            http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Here are some illustrations from the Army Ordnance Supply Catalog (dated August 15, 1944)of both the open and closed cabs used in WWII.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Those photos reall helped. Thanks.

I got tooked. Not a Studebaker.

Not even close. Wrong hood, wrong everything. Even kitbashing it would not make it look like a Studebaker.

Comment

Not even close. Wrong hood, wrong everything. Even kitbashing it would not make it look like a Studebaker.

Comment

I don't see any pics here of the later ARMY trucks~ being built during/after Korea. They didn't look like these at all...

You may not have been 'tooked'!!!

StudeDave [8D]
                    V/P San Diego County SDC
                    San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
                    '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                    '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
                    '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
                    '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                    '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I don't see any pics here of the later ARMY trucks~ being built during/after Korea. They didn't look like these at all...

StudeDave [8D]
                      V/P San Diego County SDC
                      San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
                      '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                      '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
                      '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
                      '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                      '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:I don't see any pics here of the later ARMY trucks~ being built during/after Korea. They didn't look like these at all...

StudeDave
                        Right Dave, here is a picture of a later truck.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:I don't see any pics here of the later ARMY trucks~ being built during/after Korea. They didn't look like these at all...

StudeDave
                          Right Dave, here is a picture of a later truck.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Bill, the Studebaker US6 of WWII vintage was Studebaker-designed, and Studebaker-built. Might have been a few of them assembled by Reo, using Studebaker stampings. Not certain.

The M-series, like M-35, M-135 of Korean war vintage (to present) were Reo-designed, and were built by Reo, and also under contract by Studebaker. About the ONLY thing Studebaker on the trucks built by them was the nameplate.

There was a complete break in truck design between WWII and Korea. Some existing trucks in inventory may have been used in Korea, I'm thinking GMC CCKWs here, but any new production was the M-series.

Jeeps were different, too, although not so obviously so.

The GMC CCKW of WWII vintage looks sort of like the Stude US6, but the front fenders are somewhat curved, IIRC, not dead flat like the Studes. And their engine is an OHV six.

Hope this helps you sort it out.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Bill, the Studebaker US6 of WWII vintage was Studebaker-designed, and Studebaker-built. Might have been a few of them assembled by Reo, using Studebaker stampings. Not certain.

The M-series, like M-35, M-135 of Korean war vintage (to present) were Reo-designed, and were built by Reo, and also under contract by Studebaker. About the ONLY thing Studebaker on the trucks built by them was the nameplate.

There was a complete break in truck design between WWII and Korea. Some existing trucks in inventory may have been used in Korea, I'm thinking GMC CCKWs here, but any new production was the M-series.

Jeeps were different, too, although not so obviously so.

The GMC CCKW of WWII vintage looks sort of like the Stude US6, but the front fenders are somewhat curved, IIRC, not dead flat like the Studes. And their engine is an OHV six.

Hope this helps you sort it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X