Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay, listen to your spouse...it's time to make space in that garage and sell a car to me

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Okay, listen to your spouse...it's time to make space in that garage and sell a car to me

    Some of you may know that I've been looking for a first gen Lark. From my Craigslist and Kijiji searches, I've posted some second gen Lark, Daytona, Cruiser and Commander ads for the rest of you, and now I find they are beginning to grow on me (no surprise). I've found some worthy candidates, but would much prefer buying from an SDC member, who I know will have cared more for the car and is likely to give a more honest accounting of its strengths and needs.

    If anyone wants to thin his or her herd (or is being pressured by his/her spouse to), here are my broadened search criteria:
    • '59-64, driver quality
    • 2 or 4 door, immaterial which
    • Stude powered, flathead or eight is fine.
    • 3 speed with overdrive is a big, big selling point
    • clean, clean, clean, with minimal work needed exterior/interior
    • shipping distance to 48017 (Detroit suburb) of 1,500 miles or less.

      I'm not a super stickler re: originality, so if you have aftermarket wheels or mechanical mods (elec, ignition, elec. fuel pump, mild interior mods, it's no big deal. Oh, and C/Ks and Avantis are outta my budget constraints.


    As for price, well. let's talk!
    Thanks for all your good ideas...
    Brian
    Last edited by drpreposterous; 05-27-2013, 11:40 AM. Reason: clarify

  • #2
    Guess it wouldn't hurt if I were a little more explicit--I'm not looking for Hawks or Avantis. I'm more in the $2,500 to $7,500 range, depending upon condition. Anything in the upper ranges means (to me) a darn near perfect Lark with zero issues and disc brakes to boot.

    Comment


    • #3
      Do not bank on your supposition

      Sounds too far fetched but may work. Don't bank on it vs. chances of buying a great car in the hands of a non member. My friend regrets a decision he made to buy because of the same supposition as you. "Be careful of what you ask for. If you get it it may become a burden to you" James R. Hoffa
      Originally posted by drpreposterous View Post
      Some of you may know that I've been looking for a first gen Lark. From my Craigslist and Kijiji searches, I've posted some second gen Lark, Daytona, Cruiser and Commander ads for the rest of you, and now I find they are beginning to grow on me (no surprise). I've found some worthy candidates, but would much prefer buying from an SDC member, who I know will have cared more for the car and is likely to give a more honest accounting of its strengths and needs.

      If anyone wants to thin his or her herd (or is being pressured by his/her spouse to), here are my broadened search criteria:
      • '59-64, driver quality
      • 2 or 4 door, immaterial which
      • Stude powered, flathead or eight is fine.
      • 3 speed with overdrive is a big, big selling point
      • clean, clean, clean, with minimal work needed exterior/interior
      • shipping distance to 48017 (Detroit suburb) of 1,500 miles or less.

        I'm not a super stickler re: originality, so if you have aftermarket wheels or mechanical mods (elec, ignition, elec. fuel pump, mild interior mods, it's no big deal. Oh, and C/Ks and Avantis are outta my budget constraints.


      As for price, well. let's talk!
      Thanks for all your good ideas...
      Brian
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

      Comment


      • #4
        I have a 1963 Cruiser 4 door you can have for free. Im pulling the motor for my Hawk and will give the rest away to anyone whiling to come get it. The undercarriage is rusted badly and would require floors and rockers.

        Comment


        • #5
          The time to run this kind of post is in October before the winter hits. Also the best time to by convertibles.
          Tom - Bradenton, FL

          1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

          Comment


          • #6
            Kind offer! Looking for a driver, but thanks...

            Comment


            • #7
              Gosh, I wish I had known. I just sold a '62 Lark that my wife told me I had to sell because I had just bought a Champ truck and she said 3 Studebakers were too much.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

              Sol Lucet Omnibus

              Comment


              • #8
                A PM has been sent.
                Dan Peterson
                Montpelier, VT
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                  Gosh, I wish I had known. I just sold a '62 Lark that my wife told me I had to sell because I had just bought a Champ truck and she said 3 Studebakers were too much.
                  Ixnay on the threeay many tonay!!

                  Judy thinks that's the minimum ownership required to maintain forum membership.

                  Lucky for me. Bob

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Oops! Sorry Bob. I might use that line on my wife.
                    Ed Sallia
                    Dundee, OR

                    Sol Lucet Omnibus

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Those of you looking for a good daily driver '59 to '66 Stude. this one could fit the bill. It will look good with some serious Clean Up (Lark Shine) and some little minor repairs, and the price reflects that.

                      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964-...orcev4exp=true

                      I know no more than what we read on the eBay Ad, a '64 Commander 4 Door with OHV 170 cid "6" and Flight-O-Matic.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        That looks like a sound foundation, Rich! It's on my list...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I've heard of people being screwed on ebay. Do you think it is safe to buy a car off of e bay. Maybe if the seller is a sdc member perhaps. Your thoughts please.
                          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
                            I've heard of people being screwed on ebay. Do you think it is safe to buy a car off of e bay. Maybe if the seller is a sdc member perhaps. Your thoughts please.
                            Anything you can't see yourself, someone else you know should check out, right? But I am much more comfortable buying a ride from an SDC member than I am from the general public. I had called on this car posted on CL (Yes, I'm also a Mopar fan)--the seller assured me it is rock-solid clean, zero rust He also emphatically said it has no filler:

                            http://tricities.craigslist.org/cto/3792069962.html
                            [IMG]http://thumbnails102.********.com/25720/ef8e4e257194892.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://thumbnails105.********.com/25720/d51f63257194894.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://thumbnails108.********.com/25720/9ee28d257194895.jpg[/IMG]

                            So, I asked someone I know in the area who is from the For A-Bodies Only club--
                            FABO (Mopar) to check it out. He said it is so chock-ful of bondo that his magnet could scarcely find a place to hang. The underside was far worse.
                            Last edited by drpreposterous; 05-29-2013, 10:22 PM. Reason: additional information

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              {Gosh, I wish I had known. I just sold a '62 Lark that my wife told me I had to sell because I had just bought a Champ truck and she said 3 Studebakers were too much. } COMMANDER EDDIE! I have a solution! When My wife and I bought Our "House in the Country" She made Me promise I wouldn't fill the yard with My cars. One acre for Her and One for Me. My Eight cars (Studebakers and Fords) aren't a bother to Her. Worked for Me!
                              Patrick Sammon

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X