La Palma '39 Completed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La Palma '39 Completed

Yesterday marked the completion of "La Palma '39", "The largest gathering of Studebakers in the West", and probably the oldest and longest-running meet sponsored by an individual chapter, the Orange Empire Chapter of SDC, with lots of help from members of the Beach Cities-Inland Empire Chapter who provided lots of help and participation of this day-before-memorial day car show and swap meet. Yesterday was another beautiful California day, without the frequent early "marine layer" [May gray], which always modifies the later sunshine to a pleasant high 70's temperature. There was only one "pure" original 1953 Starliner coupe, but a few very nice C and K coupes, and the usual assortment of 47-58 cars, Larks, and Avanti's. Best of show was one in Class 8, "Modified", one of the first 400 point cars I've seen scored at the meet, a Power Hawk, which was professionally restored and pristine, not quite original, but as close to original as the owner wanted, who had it restored to be a "beautiful car", which all would agree it was. John Metzger's1963 Avanti R-1 was almost a 400 point car, in Class 6 "Avanti". I will eventually do a "clean install" of Windows 8, which may cure the problems of arranging text and photos on SDC Forum, word processers, and web mail, but I won't bet on it. I would not advise buying Windows 8 unless it comes on a detachable touch screen notebook or tablet, since it su-ks on a standard notebook or desktop.
    Last edited by jnfweber; 05-27-2013, 10:08 AM.
    sigpic
    Jack, in Montana

Great pictures and thanks for posting. I had not heard who won, and all the cars were beautiful!

Thanks OE and BCIE

Mark

Comment

If a car, no matter how pretty, is being judged in a stock class, how can it get all 400 points? Wouldn't a stock class 400 point car have to have original style upholstery and the like except for allowable safety modifications?
      I notice chrome parts on this one that are not stock. I like the chrome, but wouldn't that count off at least a point or two?
      Last edited by 52-fan; 05-28-2013, 07:54 AM.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
        If a car, no matter how pretty, is being judged in a stock class, how can it get all 400 points? Wouldn't a stock class 400 point car have to have original style upholstery and the like except for allowable safety modifications?
        I notice chrome parts on this one that are not stock. I like the chrome, but wouldn't that count off at least a point or two?
        The 400 point Power Hawk was entered in Division 8, "Custom/Modified, Non-stock, Studebaker powered, all vehicles and trucks, all years." That is how it was awarded 400 points, judged entirely on quality. There are no deductions for authenticity in this, and in Division 9, "Custom/Modified,Non-Studebaker powered."
        Last edited by jnfweber; 09-02-2013, 07:53 PM.
        sigpic
        Jack, in Montana

Comment

Working...
        X