Finally Settled: Timing Chain vs. Gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by studegary View Post
    Once you buy something, it is yours ("our").

EDIT: He didn't state or imply that they designed or built the new engine.
    And it might have been 'new' to Studebaker, but the design was already ten years old by the 1965 model year. So hardly a 'new' engine at all!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
      "OUR" new engine????!!?? WHO did were they trying to kid??!?

Craig
      The answer to your second question, Craig, is potential customers! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

In the 259 / 283 / 289 discussion, the answer was probably that the 259 was considered to be Studebaker's base V8, and the 283 McKinnon engine was to become the base V8, so he wanted to compare base V8 now with base V8 to be. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          I have experienced broken timing gears, on customers cars, but only loose timing chains that caused poor running, not failure.
          I realize I have to take your word for the accuracy of that statement, Gary, but I have never seen a no-run failure on a timing gear engine, Studebaker or otherwise.

OTOH, I have experienced many personal and customer failures of timing chains that resulted in a no-run that required a tow, not the least of which was my own 1971 Barracuda convertible only 4 months ago! BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

another option.

Well, they had two v-8s before. Wouldn't it have been fun if they offered something like the 396 or 409 as an option for the Daytona?
            Last edited by wagonairedriver; 05-14-2013, 12:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by wagonairedriver View Post
              Well, they had two v-8s before. Wouldn't it have been fun if they offered something like the 396 or 409 as an option for the Daytona?
              I believe that a 327 was considered.
              Also, a four barrel and dual exhaust power package was considered.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

What about sixes??

Hmmm... you "hi performance" guys. I see that no one has mentioned the fact they switched from Studebaker 6's with timing gears to McKinnon 6's with ... timing gears!! (I wonder which was better?)
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander
                Zone Coordinator
                Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Originally posted by Mark57 View Post
                  Hmmm... you "hi performance" guys. I see that no one has mentioned the fact they switched from Studebaker 6's with timing gears to McKinnon 6's with ... timing gears!! (I wonder which was better?)
                  Ok, you answered the question before I asked it
                  A friend's dad had a 68 4dr Impala that got into an accident. It was a six cylinder and the fiber timing gear got broken. So they had timing gears on the six cylinder chevy(McKinnon) engine after all.

Comment

Working...
                  X