Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wonder where they got the 1955 Hawk Frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonder where they got the 1955 Hawk Frame?

Never seen one of these:

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Wonder where they got the 1955 Hawk Frame?
    Probably a typo, as the seller has some Studebaker and general hot rod experience.

Never seen one of these:
    The Kellison was my early '60s dream car. Somewhere I've still got the brochure. They had a small ad monthly in HRM and three different body styles. My favorite was the J6; a very swoopy coupe, but very few were ever built into running cars. They were small inside, low roofline and building doors, windshield wipers, inner fender panels and so on were beyond most high school budgets and talents.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

There was another company called Astra that was a branch of Kellison and were building kit cars here in MN. They offered the same cars, but were branded under the Astra name instead of Kellison. The J5 in this auction and the j6 looked similar, but the J6 had diagonally stacked headlights giving it a more aggressive appearance. i always wanted a J6 ever since I read an article about some guy out in Grey Eagle MN who owned some of the original forms used to make the fiberglass bodies. I guess he and a friend reproduced a hand full of cars and there is still one sitting out at his farm un-assembled. I always suspected that the Corvette Stingray was heavily influenced by the j5/j6.

Comment

I was wondering about that too. Since it would have been the same frame regardless, I guess getting either the year or the model wrong is of no significance.
        Interesting looking car.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by evilhawk View Post
          /Cut/I always suspected that the Corvette Stingray was heavily influenced by the j5/j6.
          Possibly, all except for the Datsun 240Z Headlight treatment.

The frame is probably a C or K model '55 or '56 Hawk, but I have to wonder what he means about modifying the "X" member, some people refer to a Crossmember as an X Member, but to me an X is an X, as in a Convertible.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 05-13-2013, 11:43 AM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
          X